PDA

View Full Version : Question for cleanup on new saw....

Jim O'Dell
01-03-2010, 10:29 AM
There is a fair about of grease globbed onto the tilt and height gearing on my new saw. So much so that working them through their range of motion a few times has dropped some of the grease onto the tilted dust floor below.
How much of this should be cleaned off? I know it needs some lubrication, but also know that it will collect wood dust. Maybe wipe the excess off the sides of the gears?
TIA!!! Jim.

John Jendro
01-03-2010, 10:46 AM
If it was me I would wipe it all off and use a spray lube like this.

John

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005938/18222/ProGold-Lubricant-PG2000--16-Ounce-Pump-Spray.aspx

scott vroom
01-03-2010, 11:12 AM
I spray occaisionally with DW40, seems to work well although probably not as good as the lube spray recommended by the previous poster.

Greg Peterson
01-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Did I miss something? Last I heard your saw was on backorder. Now you have one.

Congrats!

I don't have an answer but I'm going to keep an eye on this one.

Chuck Wintle
01-03-2010, 11:19 AM
There is a fair about of grease globbed onto the tilt and height gearing on my new saw. So much so that working them through their range of motion a few times has dropped some of the grease onto the tilted dust floor below.
How much of this should be cleaned off? I know it needs some lubrication, but also know that it will collect wood dust. Maybe wipe the excess off the sides of the gears?
TIA!!! Jim.
Pictures are worth a thousand words! :D:D

John Jendro
01-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Oh yeah I forgot, congrats on the new saw. I know you were waiting a long time for this. Hopefully it doesn't take as long to get running as your ClearVue did.:D

John

Jim O'Dell
01-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Did I miss something? Last I heard your saw was on backorder. Now you have one.

Congrats!

I don't have an answer but I'm going to keep an eye on this one.

Yeah, you missed an entire thread! :eek::) 1-Saturday 12/19 back ordered until April. 2-Sunday 12/20 Shiraz came on and said that was wrong, shipment leaving factory, would have sometime in Jan. Possibility of stock transfer between warehouses, still sometime in Jan. for delivery. Monday 12/21 Grizzly called, found one in whse that order was cancelled on, shipping that day. Wednesday 12/23, 7:11 am, saw arrived in Fort Worth. Took UPS a week to deliver. (Christmas Holiday). I took delivery Wednesday 12/30 1:30 pm. Now you are caught up! :D:D:D

Pictures are worth a thousand words! :D

Why, yes. Yes they are!! 137131 Sorry the camera wouldn't focus any better. And on second look, the tilt gears are pretty clean. I have a Visa gift card with 8.00 even left on it that has been burning a hole in my billfold since yesterday ;), the spray mentioned above might just be the ticket.

Oh yeah I forgot, congrats on the new saw. I know you were waiting a long time for this. Hopefully it doesn't take as long to get running as your ClearVue did.:D

John

John, that is just cruel. Accurate, deserving and funny as all get out, but cruel.:D:D No, I got this fired up last night. Now, I still have to make it mobile, and hook up the cyclone to it. I have most of the parts for the latter, need to buy wood and casters for the former. It won't be totally usable until then, but I can use it for cross cuts. Jim.

Greg Peterson
01-03-2010, 4:00 PM
Shiraz = Santa Claus?

Great story. Sounds to me like the big guy made a call or two. I guess you have connections!:cool:

Jim O'Dell
01-03-2010, 7:56 PM
Shiraz = Santa Claus?

Great story. Sounds to me like the big guy made a call or two.

It's always possible. I alluded to that in my post here after finding out they found one in Springfield to ship. He didn't answer back, so maybe, maybe not. I thanked him either way it happened.

I guess you have connections!:cool:

Connections? Never have before.:) I'm just thankful that I'm dealing with a company that cares about their customers. I've been lucky so far in that respect in the big ticket items I've purchased in the last 5 years. Some really outstanding companies, and I'm glad Grizzly has proven with their track record that they belong in that group. Jim.

Maurice Ungaro
01-03-2010, 8:12 PM
Jim,
By all means, get all of that packing grease (aka: sawdust attractant) off of those gears! BoeShield works pretty good. There's always the stand by paste wax, or Renaissance Wax if you're feeling spendy. Use a tooth brush to apply the non-spray types.

Jim O'Dell
01-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks Maurice! On the Boeshield, is it the protection top coat spray that you use on the table top? I didn't think of that so much as a lubricant, more for resisting rust. I always wax over the Boeshield I put on the cast iron tops to make the wood slide easier. Hmmm......Jim.

glenn bradley
01-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I cleaned mine off and spray it with a dry Teflon lube. Lowe's has it. (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=213197-39963-D00110101&lpage=none) Has some sort of liquid carrier that evaporates and leave a mostly dry film. No silicone.

Jim O'Dell
01-03-2010, 10:56 PM
I hadn't heard of that. I'm familiar with the dry silicone spray. We use it on the rubber seals for windows and doors on cars to keep them so they don't stick to the metal.
Good suggestions! Jim.