PDA

View Full Version : Nahm On-line

Joe Scharle
01-03-2010, 8:59 AM
http://www.newyankee.com/index.php

I'm guessing this is the correct forum.
It's good to see Nahm in his "pre-production' shop era.

Brian Effinger
01-03-2010, 10:58 AM
That was interesting. The shop was pretty empty, and the tools were primitive, compared to what was used in the last few seasons. Thanks for the link, Joe.

I plan on dropping them a note to thank them for the videos, and to make a few suggestions. It would be nice if the quality was a little better, or maybe for a dollar or two, a high res. version could be downloaded.

Jim Becker
01-03-2010, 11:37 AM
It was really nice being able to watch that first episode again. And yes, it's interesting how things changed over the life of the show...

Bill Huber
01-03-2010, 11:44 AM
That was really cool, seeing the start of the show again.

The tools have changed a lot but it was still Norm.

I do think that they could lower the price a little on the DVDs, $24 for the drawings and the DVD are a little high I think.

Fred Voorhees
01-03-2010, 1:44 PM
I sent them a thank you for putting up the video and hope that they continue with the series. I can't express fully how much I am going to miss having an episode of NYW on tv to watch every weekend.

Jim Mackell
01-03-2010, 2:39 PM
That was really cool, seeing the start of the show again.

The tools have changed a lot but it was still Norm.

I do think that they could lower the price a little on the DVDs, $24 for the drawings and the DVD are a little high I think.

+1 I have really enjoyed the show but $24. is out of my league.

Keith Christopher
01-03-2010, 4:31 PM
I think it is amazing to see the techniques he was using back them. He has come a LONG way since then. He actually used NAILS ! And man watching him make the cheek cuts on the wood was SCARY!

Brian Effinger
01-03-2010, 7:43 PM
And man watching him make the cheek cuts on the wood was SCARY!
You noticed that too. I literally cringed when I saw him doing that.

Gary Muto
01-03-2010, 10:36 PM
It was great to see the first episode. I didn't get into woodworking until the mid 90's (Norm was an inspiration) so I missed the first few years. I dropped a note to encourage future Web podcasts.

Jim Rimmer
01-04-2010, 3:33 PM
When he put the glue on and added sawdust to fill the gaps in the box joints, did he sand that down with his belt sander immediately or was there a time gap that got edited out?

Jerome Hanby
01-04-2010, 6:16 PM
It was great to see the first episode. I didn't get into woodworking until the mid 90's (Norm was an inspiration) so I missed the first few years. I dropped a note to encourage future Web podcasts.

Me too and me too :D

Jerome Hanby
01-04-2010, 6:18 PM
When he put the glue on and added sawdust to fill the gaps in the box joints, did he sand that down with his belt sander immediately or was there a time gap that got edited out?

It sure looked immediate to me. Didn't look workable. Wonder if he did it "right" on his prototype and just glossed over it for the broadcast?

Jason White
01-04-2010, 6:55 PM
I think it's pretty standard for carpenters to sand while the glue is wet. That way, more sawdust mixes with the glue helping the "filler" to blend in with the reset of the piece.

I actually spent a couple of hours today doing the same thing with some pine Kreg pocket-hole plugs and stainable wood glue. Seems to work pretty well for small gaps.

Jason