PDA

View Full Version : Firescreen/Mantel pic & Cutting Copper

Perry Holbrook
10-13-2004, 9:11 PM
The other day there was a question about cutting copper sheet with a jigsaw. It occured to me this morning that I had an example of cutting it with a scroll saw. The pictures are of a firescreen I made several years ago as my first attempt to working with copper. I used my old non-variable speed Hegner scroll saw. I drew the pattern on thin hardboard, and sandwiched the copper between the pattern board and another piece on the bottom. It's really easy to do and would be much easier with a VS saw. The outside frame is made of angle iron and covered with hand hammered copper. The scene is attached to black fire screen wire mesh.

I know it's not really woodworking but I did use a woodworking tool and I also show the oak mantel that I made (as well as some of the pottery I made a few years ago.) Thought you might like to see it.

Perry

Don Abele
10-13-2004, 9:15 PM
Perry, the screen is beautiful (as is the mantel). How did you attach the copper to the steel mesh? Thanks for posting.

Be well,

Doc

Perry Holbrook
10-13-2004, 9:28 PM
I soldered copper wires to the backside of the scene and just twisted them on to the screen mesh.

Dan Mages
10-13-2004, 9:40 PM
Thanks for the pic. That is a nice fire screen.

Dan

Jim Becker
10-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Amazing...as usual! That's really great, Perry!!

Roger Barga
10-14-2004, 12:38 AM
Beautiful work... I'm inspired to try something similar for our house. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Roger

John M. Cioffi
10-14-2004, 7:10 AM
Get out your wood dictionary, Perry.
Any time you touch wood, for any reason; & make something, it's woodworking! And you did REAL GOOD with your wood!
Beautiful job.
Thanks for sharing & showing a different technique,too.
Hope you enjoy that for many years.
John

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2004, 8:45 AM
Perry....I like that mantel.....I love that screen....great work!

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 8:59 AM
Perry, that is really neat! Nice job and I really enjoy with copper. Will need to try that method. Thanks for the wonderful example! :cool:

Chris Padilla
10-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Cool! I've always thought copper and wood go well together.