PDA

View Full Version : Building a workbench (or trying to)

Andrew Recher
01-02-2010, 8:03 PM
I've been wanting a good workbench for what will be my basement hand tool shop. I plan to use mostly hand tools down there and keep the noisy machines out in the garage. This (my first) bench is slowly coming together. So far, all of the wood for this is walnut. I had a couple of large slabs (about 3" thick) from a tree that we had removed from our yard a year or so ago. I used one of those for the top and some 4x4 walnut posts that I bought recently for the legs. The finished size of this should be about 24" x 6' x 34-35" tall.

The two "leg sets" are joined to the stretchers with LV bench bolts. The bolts are great, unfortunately, my skills aren't quite up to the same level. I was able to get it all drilled out and put together today, but when I tighten up the bolts, the whole frame twists a little so now it rocks about a 1/4" diagonally. I think I'll try turning one of the stretchers end for end tomorrow to see if that will help. Aside from the rocking, It seems rock solid. I still need to add the skirt, thought that may have to wait for some warmer weather. It's about 5˚F outside right now, and all my wood and my tablesaw is out in the unheated garage.

My Christmas present to myself this year was a 24" LV twin screw vise along with the 3 saw set (2 dovetails and a crosscut). I'm undecided as to what to do with the end vise. I may just use a smallish front vise on the right end-later.

I would appreciate any feedback or opinions on this as I'm really pretty new to this kind of work. I'll include a couple of pics of the progress of the bench and another bench (for sitting) that I've made with this same (yard tree) wood.

Thanks, and happy new year.
Andrew

Andrew Recher
01-02-2010, 8:22 PM
Here's another view of the bench (seat).

Andrew Hughes
01-03-2010, 12:05 AM
I like the simple design of the sitting bench.When i first saw the pic i said to myself why didnt i think of that.
The work bench is very nice too.I read somewhere a work bench should inspire confidence.Looks like you are on your way.Thanks for sharing...

David Gendron
01-03-2010, 2:50 AM
These are realy nice benches! The work bench look great, ave you tought of what kind of vise you will use? Is the top one piece slab?

Andrew Recher
01-03-2010, 8:51 AM
These are realy nice benches! The work bench look great, ave you tought of what kind of vise you will use? Is the top one piece slab?

Thanks, I'm planning to install the 24" LV twin screw vice at the front left with a 36" front jaw. I'm undecided about the end vice. I really like the wagon vise idea, but may just use another smaller front vise on the front corner of the right end.

The top has a single joint down the middle and it's only about 2.5" thick now. Here's a couple of pics of the tree and the milling of it. It was one of my first tries at milling lumber...I would do a few things differently next time but overall it was a success. I guess look at trees a little differently now. I think they should stay up and alive as long as possible, but I find myself thinking about how much lumber might be inside and what it might look like.

Andy

Kevin Kelly
01-03-2010, 9:23 AM
Beautiful. If i ever have the chance to build a proper bench, i'm gonna use walnut, too. I just love it.

Baxter Smith
01-03-2010, 9:51 AM
Beautiful wood of course but do you have any pictures of what you used to saw it with. Maybe one of those pictures had it in the background.
Although I hate to think of that beautiful wood being beat on it should age beautifully!

Andrew Recher
01-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Beautiful wood of course but do you have any pictures of what you used to saw it with. Maybe one of those pictures had it in the background.
Although I hate to think of that beautiful wood being beat on it should age beautifully!

I just tried flipping the stretcher on the back end for end to see if that would help with the twist but it didn't have any effect. I'm wondering about some heavy duty leveling feet? Or possibly just trimming the taller legs slightly...

It is relatively soft for a hardwood, it dents and dings easily. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but having as much of it as I do I decided to go ahead with it. Another factor was that my skill level and available tools made a large glue up for the top kind-of daunting. I may build another bench as my skills improve, but this should allow me to get started and I can always keep this one as a second workspace. All of the wood for the legs (which I still have a good bit of) came from a Craigslist purchase for $50.00. Most of the 4x4's contain the pith and are checked-but seem to be plenty strong enough.

Besides the Alaskan chainsaw mill with a 36" bar and chain, I have a "RipSaw" which is a portable chainsaw powered bandsaw mill. I don't have any good pics but you can see them here:
http://www.ripsaw.com/ripsaw.html. I bought mine used and it came with the carriage unit-but for now, living in town, it's much more convenient to use and store without that.

John Thompson
01-03-2010, 2:45 PM
Nice job.. you'll love the twin screw.