PDA

View Full Version : Post Office Box Doors - Cleaning

Jim Eller
01-02-2010, 7:54 PM
I just picked up a few post office box doors for banks for the grand-kids. The doors are in good shape but need to be polished, buffed or something. They have a lot of nooks and crannies.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning these things to make them look like new instead of the stamped date of 1955? A solution without a lot of elbow grease would be nice.

Thanks,
Jim

Mac McQuinn
01-02-2010, 8:23 PM
A friend hooked me up to a Soda Blaster from Harbor Freight. Works very nicely on British Motorcycle Carburetor bodies which are a zinc like material. They look like new, not overdone and shiny but like newly cast material. Might be worth looking into & considering.

Mac

Dell Littlefield
01-02-2010, 9:25 PM
Know anyone who cleans clocks ultrasonically? The clock cleaning solution will leave them very clean and pretty shiny.

Jeff Nolan
01-02-2010, 9:30 PM
I second the blasting suggestion. Call around and look for someone who can blast with a soft abrasive like corn cobs or walnut shells, but pumice might be an option as well. You want an abrasive for that won't etch the surface, just clean it and give it uniformity.

Bill ThompsonNM
01-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Before I'd start looking for sandblasters I would try:
Brasso (cleans brass, copper and zinc), copper cleaners ( see your grocer )
and lemon juice and salt with a toothbrush.
You'd be surprised what you can clean with simple solutions.

Alan Schaffter
01-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Are you sure they are dirty? It could be a cheap/thin (brass?) plating pealing off.

Jim Eller
01-03-2010, 5:16 AM
Bill: If they clean with Brasso, what do you recommend for a sealer coat?

Alan: They look tarnished and dirty. They were in a post office since 1955.

ROY DICK
01-03-2010, 7:26 AM
Toothpaste and a tooth brush, or never dull.

Roy

Larry Edgerton
01-03-2010, 7:29 AM
Where did you buy those? I would be interested in picking up a few myself.

Larry

Bill ThompsonNM
01-03-2010, 8:26 AM
Things like that I just use a couple of coats of spray lacquer from a can.

Gene Howe
01-03-2010, 9:05 AM
Where did you buy those? I would be interested in picking up a few myself.

Larry

How many do you want? I have quite a few.

Jim Eller
01-03-2010, 9:22 AM
Larry,

You have a PM

Alan Schaffter
01-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Brasso, or any jewelry or silverware polish should work. One thing about brass is that it needs to be cleaned well, the oxide and polish completely removed, and finally sealed well (usually with lacquer) without touching it with bare hands. If you don't it will tarnish again fairly quickly even under the lacquer.

Test the cleaner on the back or an edge first.

Dan West02
01-03-2010, 8:18 PM
You have another PM

Brad Kaufman
01-04-2010, 2:20 PM
Soak them in a solution of 50% ammonina and 50% coca cola. Use a small brush for the nook and cannies.

Jim Eller
01-04-2010, 2:57 PM
Just picked up some Brasso to try. They have a protective coating that is flaking off and comes off easily with a brass brush. Once that is off they look like new except they are dull. See before and after pic. The after is just using a hand brass brush.

Still taking suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim

phil harold
01-04-2010, 3:35 PM
Just picked up some Brasso to try. They have a protective coating that is flaking off and comes off easily with a brass brush. Once that is off they look like new except they are dull. See before and after pic. The after is just using a hand brass brush.

Still taking suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim

slightly sand with 600 or 800 grit wet and dry with stiff backing
(diamond sharpeners would work too)
this will give you bright metal on the flats then lacquer
for more contrast you could paint them black then remove paint on high points til shiney then lacquer

Jim Eller
01-04-2010, 7:21 PM
Thanks all.

I think I'm on my way.........................