PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stopper Kits

Jack Hogoboom
10-13-2004, 8:11 PM
I want to turn some bottle stoppers for Xmas presents. I've been looking for the kits that allow you to chuck a dowel and then glue the cork on once the top is turned (read about it in a book). Anyone know where I can find them?

Jack

Ted Okolichany
10-13-2004, 8:15 PM
Penn State has some nice starter kits. WWW.psindstateind.com

Ted

Michael Stafford
10-14-2004, 7:03 AM
A complete line of stopper turning supplies and equipment is available from both Packard Woodworks and The Woodturner's Catalogs. Both include everything from blanks, special chucks, dowels, and a variety of styles to choose from.

Anthony Yakonick
10-14-2004, 7:55 PM
One does have to buy too much, I'm sure you have some 8/4 or 6/4 lumber or scraps around, so all you need is corks and some dowels. I glue my dowels in after turning and use a 3/8 steel shaft to chuck the stoppers, this way you have no dowel breakage.

Edward Orecchio
11-29-2004, 1:10 PM
I want to turn some bottle stoppers for Xmas presents. I've been looking for the kits that allow you to chuck a dowel and then glue the cork on once the top is turned (read about it in a book). Anyone know where I can find them?

Jack
I'm making 60 wine corks for favors for my daughter' wedding in three weeks-I am up to 41 so far-Packard is the fastest to send things it seems while Woodturners is slow at least for me in New Hampshire. They both sell corks and hardwood dowels + a 3/8" pin chuck-all fairly inexpensive-they also sell wood blanks but it may be alot cheaper to buy some 8/4 lumber and cut it up yourself if you can find a variety of different woods(and you plan to make a fair amount) You can hold the pin chuck in a jacobs chuck,scroll chuck,or collet chuck
Ed Orecchio

Mac McAtee
11-29-2004, 4:16 PM
My local Woodcraft store has bags of drilled cork and the dowels.

David LaRue
11-29-2004, 4:31 PM
Anthony,

How do you attach the blanks to the 3/8" steel rod for turning?:confused:
D

Dan Mages
11-29-2004, 9:05 PM
I wonder if there are any stoppers with a built in thermometer to make sure that the beer/wine is at the optimum serving temp...

Dan

Anthony Yakonick
11-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Anthony,

How do you attach the blanks to the 3/8" steel rod for turning?:confused:
D
Friction and tailstock pressure