PDA

View Full Version : Interior Door Plans

Jim Colloca
01-02-2010, 1:49 PM
I'm planning on building some solid wood 2 panel interior doors. Does anyone have a good source for plans.

JC:)

Sam Layton
01-03-2010, 1:31 AM
Jim, welcome to the Creek. I just finished an interior door and showed the build. Check out page 9 or 10 of the projects forum, title, Interior door build. I don't have any plans, just did my own thing. If you have any questions I would be happy to try an answer.

Sam

Phillip Bogle
01-03-2010, 1:55 AM
Check with Eagle America -- they are a SC sponsor . They sell a router bit set for interior and exterior entry doors (page 7 of the Jan. catalog), and they may have some plans or ??? that can come with the purchase?

Hope this is legal (sponsor)
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v185-1705/ea_-_stile_and_rail

Just an idea.
Phil B.

Neal Clayton
01-03-2010, 3:55 AM
2 panel should be relatively simple. tenons 2/3 or so through the stiles. assuming you're using plywood for the panels? if so most interior door cutters will leave a 3/8 groove, so that's the size of ply you need.

bottom rail should be roughly 2x the width of the other rails. make sure your stile width accounts for enough area to center your lock/knob (i use 5" and a 2.5" backset lock).

Jim Colloca
01-03-2010, 4:36 PM
Thanks for the replys, the help is most appreciated

JC:)

Peter Quinn
01-03-2010, 6:41 PM
There is an old book called Modern Practical Joinery that has a lot of line drawings of different style doors and different construction methods. Another source for inspiration are some of the reprints of classic millwork books available on Amazon, Like the Standard Millwork books or Hull Millwork series. They wont give you construction drawings, just a view of different styles and molding profiles of different eras.

I know of two books covering door construction directly. One is Building Doors And Gates by Bridgewater, which is more about design but does cover some construction details. The other is by Jon Birchard, or actually there were a number of renditions of this book, but all are out of print. They are often available via used book sources including Amazon. The original Birchard book was about the nuts and bolts of door and window construction, from jack mitered mortise and tennons to shaper made cope and stick. He covered everything from stock selection to jamb construction.

When you said "plans" it struck me that I do this for a living and rarely see plans as you would for case pieces like cabinets. I work in the passage door shop of a medium sized millwork operation (though we are not making a lot of custom doors in the present economy) and generally the plans for a single set of doors will fit on a standard piece of 8 1/2"X11" copy paper and include a simple elevation view and a small section of a plan view. Its just not that complicated of a piece of work. I don't know that I have ever seen proper plans for sale from any source, though they are pretty easy to create yourself.

I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding how things are done where I work or different guide lines for general construction if that helps. I know there are quite a few other experienced door makers here on the creek, which helps to give you lots of different view points. There are many ways to skin this particular cat, which often vary depending on the tools you have available and how many cats you wish to skin at once.