PDA

View Full Version : Scroll saws

Bob Marino
10-13-2004, 5:03 PM
I am considering a scroll saw. The Dewalt seems to be a well made tool according to those that own one. In that price range, is there anything comparable? Delta?

Bob

Dick Parr
10-13-2004, 5:06 PM
Bob there is nothing that I have found in that price range that can compare.

Gary Max
10-13-2004, 5:13 PM
Bob reminds me of the day I brought home a RBI--220 hawk. SWMBO took it over and never lets me use it----the other one I would look at would be a Hegner. I am sure there are other favorites out there.

Michael Ballent
10-13-2004, 5:33 PM
Delta P20 is another one that has received many reviews. But for bang for the buck the Dewalt is hard to beat....

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2004, 6:14 PM
Bob,

I know you don't want to spend the money for an Eclipse...right?

According to Terry Quiram, the DeWalt SS is the next best thing to an Eclipse that is in your current price range.

Frank Pellow
10-13-2004, 7:32 PM
Bob there is nothing that I have found in that price range that can compare.

What is the price range?

Bob Marino
10-13-2004, 7:40 PM
What is the price range?

Frank,

Oh, about the same as the Dewalt; somewhere about $400.00, but under $500.

Bob

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 7:56 PM
Bob,

Festool, Baby, Festool...I know a good guy there who can set you up. Just look up your cell phone number and dial it! ;) BTW, thanks so much for the hand sander and the coffee cup. The cup is perfect for pencils in the shop!

When is Festool coming out with wall clocks with, uh, nice pictures on them a la Snap-On and such??? :D :D :D

Roger Barga
10-13-2004, 8:15 PM
Hi Bob,

I purchased my DeWalt about a year ago, with roughly the same budget you have. Since I was planned to use the saw mostly for marquetry (bundles of veneer roughly 0.75 to 1.0 inch thick) the most important criteria were blade control/accuracy and stability (no vibration) - not hogging through 2" stacks of wood, cutting corian, etc. Anyway, I conducted a number of "hands on" comparisons and IMHO the DeWalt is the best of the bunch at this price point.

You may wish to consider looking at Ebay. I recently purchased a new scroll saw, the RBI Hawk G4 (I am starting to take on larger marquetry panels for cabinet doors, dressers, etc and need the 26" capacity). Anyway, I checked Ebay to see what to ask for my DeWalt and noticed a number of them being sold at auction - some new, some reconditioned and slightly used. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Roger

PS - I had the opportunity to use an Eclipse for a few weeks while working at Paul Schurch's (marquetry master) workshop. It cuts like a dream and is an incredibly accurate saw, but it's over-engineered. It has two built-in circuit boards and five fuses tucked away into three different locations. So, if the saw doesn't work you have to start unscrewing covers to test/replace the circuit boards to check for blown fuses.

Bob Marino
10-13-2004, 8:23 PM
Roger,

Just curious, how much was the Hawk?

Bob

Dale Thompson
10-13-2004, 8:28 PM
Bob,
I presently have a Delta Q3. It is an excellent saw. :) However, I have a buyer for the saw and plan to pick up my new DeWalt 788 TOMORROW!! I don't really need a new scroll saw but I'm trying to keep up with the wealthy folks in WI who live down where John Kerry prepares for his debates. :cool:

Dale T.

John Miliunas
10-13-2004, 9:44 PM
Bob, you already KNOW how I feel about the Dewalt! For those who don't know and are looking for opinions, I concur with what the rest of the guys have pretty much agreed on: Dollar for dollar, you simply can't beat it! :D I mean fer cryin' out loud: When Dr. Quiram puts his award-winning stamp of approval on it, I think you can consider it a pretty safe bet! :) I love mine! Heck, even talked that cheepskate up in Peshtigo to clear the cobwebs off his billfold and spring for one! Now THAT is REALLY saying something! :D :cool:

Roger Barga
10-13-2004, 11:10 PM
The Hawk G4 is currently selling for $1099. The major selling features for me were the larger 26" capacity and you can adjust the blade to run perfectly up and down. I have only made a small marquetry panel with it so far, but it performed well. If there is interest I will post a full review after I complete a larger project with it.

roger

Dale Thompson
10-14-2004, 7:58 PM
Heck, even talked that cheepskate up in Peshtigo to clear the cobwebs off his billfold and spring for one! Now THAT is REALLY saying something! :D :cool:

Hey Spring,
It looks so nice as a pile of boxes (that's all we saw of YOURS) that I'm not even going to unpack it until yours wears out. ;) Then I'll unpack my brand new saw and you can drool at MY stuff for a change!! :cool:

Dale T. :)

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 8:52 PM
Hey Spring,
It looks so nice as a pile of boxes (that's all we saw of YOURS) :)

AHEM....'Scuse me?! :eek: Please reference:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12335&highlight=scroll

AND

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12219&highlight=scroll

So THERE! :D Ahhhh....Apology accepted! :D :cool:

Jeff Murphy
10-15-2004, 8:15 AM
I have tried about all of them and really like my Excalibur 30". Not in the $500 range though.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/716354/1398349/31979881.jpg

John Miliunas
10-15-2004, 8:20 AM
I have tried about all of them and really like my Excalibur 30". Not in the $500 range though.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/716354/1398349/31979881.jpg

Yeah....*Maybe* in my next lifetime to both, the Excalibur AND enough skill to build a piece that intricate! Nice job, Jeff and welcome to the Creek! :) :cool:

Lloyd Robins
10-15-2004, 9:47 AM
There is a Hegner on Ebay that is in your price range.

Here is the URL : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20786&item=4330254949&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Let us know what you decide. :)

Mike Scoggins
10-15-2004, 9:55 AM
Bob,

I've had the DeWalt 788 for about 3 or 4 years and have been very happy with it. I was able to use what is considered one of the top scroll saws in many circles, the Excalibur, for ~2-1/2 days when I attended an Intarsia school conducted by Judy Gale Roberts and Jerry Booher in TN back in 2001. The Excalibur is very nice, but, I honestly have been very pleased with the DeWalt considering the cost. If I were making a living with the scroll saw I might feel differently. But, as a hobbyest who uses the scroll saw on occasion, the DeWalt is more than adequate IMHO.

Mike

Dale Thompson
10-15-2004, 8:38 PM
AHEM....'Scuse me?! :eek: Please reference:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12335&highlight=scroll

AND

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12219&highlight=scroll

So THERE! :D Ahhhh....Apology accepted! :D :cool:

Hey Spring,
Those references show your lovely daughter and Dr. Quiram. How are we to know that she was not taking a lesson from the Doctor at some neutral location? :confused: Apology accepted - AGAIN!! However, I'm getting TIRED of this sham! ;) :) I think that you need a hobby. Woodworking can be a lot of fun!! Give it some thought. :D :D

Dale T.

Joe Mioux
10-15-2004, 8:59 PM
Dale T and John M... you two have me giggling.

joe

Oh... btw, I have not seen you, John, in front of the scroll saw:)

John Miliunas
10-15-2004, 9:00 PM
I think that you need a hobby. Woodworking can be a lot of fun!! Give it some thought. :D :D

Dale T.

Now then, just wait a cotton pickin' minute there, Mr. Peshtigo! Do you mean to tell me that you expect me to USE all those tools out in the shop?! :eek: But.....But.....But then they'll get all dirty and stuff! :eek: You say it's "fun", huh? Well, maybe I'll have to give it another shot. I was kinda' disappointed the last time I tried. I got that band saw thing and tried to cut, what was a pretty small chunk of wood. Man, I ran that wood up and down that saw blade as fast as I could, but dang if it barely put a scratch in it! And I was pooped! I figured that maybe I hit a dull spot, so I put my leather gloves on and pulled down some more "fresh" blade, but I'll be dipped; Same thing! :( Don't look like it'd be too accurate, neither. Guess I maybe better open up a book or two, huh? Thanks for the encouragement! :) You're a true friend! :cool:

Dale Thompson
10-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Now then, just wait a cotton pickin' minute there, Mr. Peshtigo! Do you mean to tell me that you expect me to USE all those tools out in the shop?! :eek: But.....But.....But then they'll get all dirty and stuff! :eek: You say it's "fun", huh? Well, maybe I'll have to give it another shot. I was kinda' disappointed the last time I tried. I got that band saw thing and tried to cut, what was a pretty small chunk of wood. Man, I ran that wood up and down that saw blade as fast as I could, but dang if it barely put a scratch in it! And I was pooped! I figured that maybe I hit a dull spot, so I put my leather gloves on and pulled down some more "fresh" blade, but I'll be dipped; Same thing! :( Don't look like it'd be too accurate, neither. Guess I maybe better open up a book or two, huh? Thanks for the encouragement! :) You're a true friend! :cool:

Hey Spring,
Your true emotion touches me deeply. :rolleyes: Dry your eyes and please understand that everyone needs a mentor sooner or later. It's just bad luck that I was chosen as YOURS!! :( The only good part here is that you didn't touch the "on" switch with the band saw. Please stand by for further counseling! :) :) DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!! :eek:

Dale T.