PDA

View Full Version : Johnson's Paste Wax Source?

Mike Henderson
01-02-2010, 10:40 AM
It would help if you indicate your location. For example, in my location the OSH store carries it but there may not be an OSH in your location.

Mike

[This is strange - my posting went before the original post.]

Matt Walton
01-02-2010, 10:42 AM
I know less than you, as I haven't even looked, but I thought I always heard that you could get it at HD or Lowes (etc.) Have you tried looking there?

Zach England
01-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I find it in most grocery stores near the floor care products.

If not there, both Home Depot and Lowes are sure to have it. Again--think floor care.

But while you are at "the borg" grab a can of minwax "finishing paste wax". it will be by the stain, polyurethane, etc. it is a couple of dollars more, but I promise you it will be more durable.

Or, since you have already gone to the trouble and expense of using the boeshield products, you may consider a more task-specific product like renaissance wax. I use it for planes, but I use the minwax for the table saw, jointer, etc. There are a million technical reasons why the renaissance wax is supposed to be better, but I don't remember what they are. I am sure if you search the forum there will be plenty of acrimony surrounding what type of was to use. I don't notice a difference in the renaissance wax compared to the more utilitarian products, but I do notice a difference between the minwax and johnsons. The minwax keeps the surface smoother for longer. I only use the renaissance was for planes because the stuff was like $20, so i figure I should use it for something.

Michael Wetzel
01-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Most stores have it with the cleaning products. This includes Lowes & Home Depot.

Jeff Qualmann
01-02-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm just in the process of setting up some new iron (cab saw & jointer) in the shop. Using your collective advice here on SMC, I've thoroughly cleaned all the cosmoline off with mineral spirits, applied several coats of Boshield and would like to finish with a liberal dose of the proper wax.

For the life of me, I can not find any one who carries Johnson's paste wax - just the usual car waxes with silicone. I've tried the automotive aisle, cleaning, and the finishing aisle with no luck. Can anybody point me to a ready source for plain old non-silicone paste wax?

Josh Reet
01-02-2010, 11:23 AM
My local Lowes carries it.

glenn bradley
01-02-2010, 11:58 AM
+1 on Lowe's but, its in the cleaning products isle with the floor waxes in my store(?). All the other Pledge and so forth were in the next isle over to distract me ;-)

Matt Meiser
01-02-2010, 12:09 PM
If for some reason you can't find it at Lowes and you happen to be near one, I got mine at Meijer. I believe I've seen it at Kroger too.

Bill Hansen
01-02-2010, 1:05 PM
I have found the product at numerous Ace Hardware stores

Billy Dodd
01-02-2010, 1:23 PM
Walmart in the cleaning and floor care aisle. Usually bottom shelf by the wax.

art san jr
01-02-2010, 3:56 PM
At Home Depot .... in the area of cleaning supplies, brooms, etc....ask any associate in that area.
HTH.

Art.

Cliff Holmes
01-02-2010, 8:31 PM
I've never been able to find it at any local HD, Lowes, or Ace. I get mine from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Wood-Paste-Wax-1lb/dp/B0000DIWIM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1262482267&sr=8-2

Jeffrey Makiel
01-03-2010, 1:01 AM
Interesting question. My can of paste wax is probably 30+ years old when I actually had to wax my Mom's linoleum floors.

Perhaps I'll hold onto it for my retirement planning along with my bottle of Chlordane insecticide. God knows my 401K isn't cutting it. :)

-Jeff :)

Jeff Qualmann
01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry I didn't indicate my location the first time. I'm in West Michigan.

I've tried the local big boxes, Menards, Lowes, HD, Mejiers,but haven't been able to locate it in any of the aisles I'm looking in. When I ask a clerk I just get a blank look and a finger point to the automotive waxes.

Based on your suggestions, I'll head back to one of them and to a more extensive recon.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin Groenke
01-03-2010, 3:14 PM
+1 on the Minwax (or Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax) over the Johnson's. Johnson's just seems softer/less durable to me than other waxes. The Minwax Paste Finishing Wax is next to the wood stains and polyurethanes in the Menards' I shop at.

http://www.paint-store.net/store/images/T/min78600.jpg

Robert Malone
01-04-2010, 3:37 AM
My Minwax Paste Finishing Wax is 19 years old and more than 1/2 can left.

You can buy both brands at ACE Hardware or
order online - pickup at nearest store.

Minwax Paste Finishing Wax - $11.99
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1420127&kw=wax&lmdn=Brand&searchId=44665685853

Johnson Paste Wax - $8.49
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1420111&kw=wax&lmdn=Brand&searchId=44665726143

Lee Schierer
01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, most ACE hardware and most grocery stores carry Johnson Paste wax in teh floor care sections of the store.

Just ask someone over 40 as the younger kids have never seen anything other than a swiffer used on floors.

Hugh Jardon
01-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Oh yeah, bad memories or polishing linoleum floors in the Army with yellow wax and a cast iron bumper. At 0300...

+1 for HD. By the brooms, cleaning products etc. You know, the bit the wife goes in...

Lee Schierer
01-04-2010, 2:45 PM
Oh yeah, bad memories or polishing linoleum floors in the Army with yellow wax and a cast iron bumper. At 0300...

+1 for HD. By the brooms, cleaning products etc. You know, the bit the wife goes in...

I recall learning out how to buff the wax with a floor polisher and getting it to move left and right without bashing the walls to death or dragging me across the floor............