PDA

View Full Version : Dust Opportunity knocks but Needed?

Jerry Olexa
10-13-2004, 4:33 PM
Have a chance to buy a new Jet Air Filtration system (type usually hangs on ceiling) for a very decent price. But my understanding is that if you have effective DC working (whether single stage or cyclone w filters and low micron bags) you don't really need an air filtration system. What is its real purpose? What do you guys think? Should I pass on this good deal? Thanks in advance..

Ian Barley
10-13-2004, 4:37 PM
Jerry

I have a large Jet system. In theory it picks up the fine dust that gets into the air but I suspect that the money would be better spent on more effectively collecting dust at the point of production. If you work in a confined space it might be better but I don't think it has made much difference in my shop.

Given the chance to go back I would spend the money on improving collection and ditch the filter.

Paul Held
10-13-2004, 4:37 PM
Jerry, Even with very good dust collection some sawdust is going to become airborn. Sanding something always seesm to generate some that doesn't get sucked up. The fine stuff that coats the floor was at some time in the air. If you have an opportunity to pick one up cheap I would buy it. Paul in Vermont

Maurice Ungaro
10-13-2004, 4:44 PM
For what's it's worth, despite the dust collection on my machines, I'm installing a JDS unit when my shop gets built. The nice feature with many filtration units these days is the delayed timer which will allow youto run the thing for a couple of hours AFTER youleave the shop, thereby pulling the fine airborne dust out of the airspace. I'm planning on having a unit that can exchange the air in my given shop space at least 20 times an hour.

Maurice

Dave Right
10-13-2004, 4:48 PM
It is the fine stuff that is all over everything while you are gone was once in the air while you were there. You were breathing it in whether you knew it or not.
That's the bad stuff for your lungs. I would not wait! Get it. You will be glad
you did in the future.

Dick Parr
10-13-2004, 5:04 PM
Jerry, I have the JDS and for as many times as I have to clean it :eek: , it must be doing something right. It might be that much less I am breathing in. ;) Mine has 2 speeds and when I am sanding I put it on high speed and the rest of the time it is on low speed. I have been accused of being a clean freak by some people and I still clean the filter on my overhead at least once a week and if there is a lot of sanding, I clean it more. :D

Steven Wilson
10-13-2004, 5:54 PM
The air filters are fine for cleaning up your shop after the fact but really don't help you while you're producing the dust (i.e. you lungs are breathing what the filter is). I like to run mine overnight prior to applying a finish. For healthy dust control you really need to collect it at the source or wear a respirator.

Jack Hogoboom
10-13-2004, 6:22 PM
I agree with Steve. I read Rick Peters's book on dust control right after buying my JDS unit. He didn't pull any punches. He said they are basically useless because they are filtering the same air you are breathing. His take was not to buy them or, if you had one, to use it to collect dust at a source such as a sander. I was pretty crestfallen.

Jack

JOHN HANCOCK
10-13-2004, 9:38 PM
If you have to regularly clean the filters on an air filtration unit then it is worth having if the cost is not prohibitive. Of course, it is best do everything possible to pick it up at the source, but if you can capture the dust that normally settles to the floor, it has to only have an upside. It is better for finishing and, if it gets to the floor, it will eventually get back into the air as you walk around and disturb it. I think that even if it is filtering the same air we breathe, it is performing a valuable service by taking that much dust out of the dust problem equation.

JayStPeter
10-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Jerry,

There are times it is extremely difficult to collect dust. Getting more Festools will help. I don't have one yet, but there are still lathes.
In my garage workshop, there were other things besides WW stuff. Things like bikes and all my automotive stuff. These things got covered with dust (particularly nasty when working with MDF) when my DC or shop vac were not useful. Once I got the Jet AF, it kept things from getting covered with nasty dust. It really does a good job at that. I ran it all the time.
Now that I have a dedicated shop and am not worried about dust getting on everything, I usually forget to turn it on.

Jay

John Miliunas
10-13-2004, 10:08 PM
I totally agree with John H.! Capturing large AND small particles at the source is still the best, but there are certain tools which just don't lend themselves to doing that efficiently. I went from a 2hp bag-type dust collector to a cyclone and 6" ducting, with many of the machine ports having been converted for the 6" output, as well. The setup does a great job on *most* of the machines, but I still have a room air filter going and it captures a LOT more additional fine dust! :) As John says, it may just be filtering the same air I'm breathing, but I'm breathing that much LESS of it and, for a shorter time! :D No, it won't replace a good DC system, but IMHO, I think is an effective suplement. :cool:

Jerry Olexa
10-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys for your prompt responses which led me to go buy it!! The price was right and I think it is good insurance. Also, too good a deal to pass. Can't wait to mount it and crank er up...Oh I still need a conventional DC , That's the next purchase when I get back from trip (and another post) . Thank you all Jerry