PDA

View Full Version : Record 52 1/2 vise problem - need help!

John Keeton
01-02-2010, 9:31 AM
The attached pics show the problem I am having with my vise.

This seems to happen without apparent cause. However, when taking these pics, I did notice that the two small bolts holding the quick release mechanism shown in this pic were loose.
I hand tightened them just prior to taking the pic. Could that have caused the problem depicted above?

Russ Massery
01-02-2010, 10:08 AM
John, I have the same vise I'll look at mine to see if I can see what when wrong with yours. I do see the end plate on the rods are turned.

John Keeton
01-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks, Russ. That is the problem, and I can't think of anything else that has happened except for the loosening of the bolts on the quick release. Not sure that I understand how that affects the mechanical operation of the vise.

Russ Massery
01-02-2010, 10:24 AM
John , there should be a roll pin at the end of the threaded rod with a washer behind it. Holding the the end plate on. I'll take a picture if you need it.

Josh Bowman
01-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Good news is these are simple vises. I can't see the rear of the screw in your pictures and that is the easy answer to what is wrong. Hopefulley the cross pin in the back end of the screw has fallen out and that allowed the guides to slip out of the bracket. Basicly the guides are pressed into the movabe jaw, travel through the mount then to the part on your that's come loose, that fit does not seem to be pressed, it's just held in by the screws cross pin and 2 washers. I just so happen to have one that is not mounted and can take more pictures if you need me to. I had to pretty well take mine apart due to it having other problems. I may be wrong, but the quick release bolts shouldn't have anything to do with the guides.

Josh Bowman
01-02-2010, 10:40 AM
For lack of better words, I'll call the offending piece a retainer. It looks like your retainer is made of stamped steel? Mine is cast and the guides are pressed in to it. I do have 2 washers, but I bet that the workers who put them together, would use more or less, thicker or thinner according to how the guides were pressed into the movable jaw. Having said that, have the guides moved forward in your movable jaw? Is the retainer warped? It sould be straight across. You might take a look at closing the vise and with the retainer in place, give each guide a tap from the movable jaw side to help seat them in to the retainer. Those guides do come out, I know some folks will remove them so they can be shipped in a smaller box. Haven't got a clue how hard it is to take them out, but if yours were removed, that could cause them to be a little loose. I've had mine completely apart (except for the guides) and it's very simply made. That's what make em nice.

John Keeton
01-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks, guys. I am going to the shop to check this a little closer and will report back.

Josh Bowman
01-02-2010, 10:47 AM
John,
I don't know why my answer to your last post fell back 3 posts. But I looked close at your guides and one looks shorter. Do look close at the movable jaw end. I think the right guide may have slide foward. It also makes since for that to happen. If the guide got stuck or bound up (you did mention the bolts were a little loose) in the part that bolts under you bench, when you pushed or screwed your vise in, it may have pushed that guide rod out of position

Josh Bowman
01-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Guess I need to slow down. After I read your post, that when the vise is open the retainer is tight, but when it is closed it is loose.
I went back out to the shop and took the cross pin out of my vise. Here's what I found. My guide rods have a tenon cut on both ends. My retainer is very tight against that tenon when the washers and cross pin are in place. My screw is kept in place with that cross pin. Having said that and if they didn't change the design between mine and yours much, I think that steel retainer is bent a little. If it is stamped steel, remove the cross pin and flatten it and or even put a little bend on each end toward the guides rods.
Looking again at your picture of the vise open....I wonder it you hold the moveable jaw in place and push the screw backwards, it the retainer would become loose? That would futher support the case that the retainer is bent.

John Keeton
01-02-2010, 11:15 AM
There does not appear to be washers with the pin. However, there is a raised area on the retention plate (for lack of a better description!)
And, although the fit is loose on the piece when extended...
It is tight when the vise is open.
I am not sure there is sufficient space to place a washer with the pin, but if that could be done, it would probably resolve the problem.

This vise was purchased from an individual that said it had never been installed, and it appeared as such. Had the original packing, etc. I guess it is possible the washers were absent. However, it has worked fine for nearly a year.

glenn bradley
01-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Josh noticed what I was going to comment on; his retainer has through holes like my TaiChi vise, John's just has a detente. I would either try to get another washer under the pin or, even easier, put a bit of a bow in the retainer to tighten it's relationship to the rods and force it back into position(?). Hard to say without my hands on it ;-)

JohnPeter Lee
10-30-2016, 8:16 PM
Hey John - did you ever solve this problem? I have the exact same issue with mine.
:(
thx.
JP

Frederick Skelly
10-30-2016, 9:12 PM
Hey John - did you ever solve this problem? I have the exact same issue with mine.
:(
thx.
JP

I did too. On mine, the retainer (stamped steel thing in pic) wasnt being held tightly against the ends of the shafts it is "retaining" by the pin. Look on the very back of that screw. There is about a 1" section of smooth rod that is 1/2" in diameter. I removed the pin and made sure the retainer was flat. Then, I bought a 1/2" collar at the hardware store - they look like a 3/8" thick washer and have an allen screw or bolt that you can tighten against the shaft. I slipped that on, pressed the retainer firmly against the shafts, tightened the bolt, and it has never been a problem since.

Maybe that will work for you too. It's certainly worth a look and the collar only cost a dollar or two.

JohnPeter Lee
11-11-2016, 8:37 AM
Thanks for the advice. I pulled my vise off the bench and inspected it closely. In my case, the pressed steel retention plate is nice and flat, and it has indents where the 2 rails fit. What I notice is that the angled collar of the plate (no washer), around the center screw has cut into the pin, and over time this has introduced more play into the mechanism. Now the plate spins like a propeller.

So, I'm going to try to push out the pin and replace it (looks like a 3/16), and maybe add a washer to better secure things. I only need it to last me another 30 years ;).

JP