PDA

View Full Version : Best DVD Scene Ever!

John Weber
10-13-2004, 4:04 PM
Ok guys, while I’m on the topic. What is your best DVD scene of all time? We’ve added a dozen or so movies to our collection lately and I tend to buy movies that really show off the multi channel surround sound system and I feel like I'll watch again. You know lots of bass, great separation, etc… Anyway, I’ve got a nice catalog of DVD’s now and some of my favorites are:<p>
<b>Finding Nemo</b> – Awesome Picture and Sound (First Scene has a fast but loud effect)<br>
<b>Master and Commander</b> – Great Cannon Battles<br>
<b>Saving Private Ryan</b> – The Beach Landing is Amazing, makes you really feel for those guys<br>
<b>Star Wars</b> (new release) – Lots of Cool effects, looks and sounds great, but many have problems with some of the changes Lucas made<br>
<b>Star Wars II</b> – The Asteroid chase is very cool<br>
<b>Toy Story II</b> – The first clip with Buzz, very loud and fun<br>
<b>Mission Impossible / James Bond Series/ Terminator Series</b> – These movies sound great, loud with good separation, lack a little refinement of the sound track, but good fun<br>
<b>Jurassic Park</b> – What more can I say<br>
The<b> Harry Potter</b> Movies – The Quid ditch Flying Games are exciting and well done<br>
<b>Gladiator</b> – I just got it for my birthday, but it is suppose to be very good<p>
But the best I’ve found is <b>Apollo 13</b>, I don’t know if it’s the story line, or what, but when the rocket launches it is AWESOME! It’s not as loud or a dramatic as some of the others, but when the clamps release from the rocket, I get goose bumps. Plus the movie is just one of the best.<p>
Again, I’m not reviewing the movies, just high lighting some really cool scenes, etc… Before we upgraded to a full Digital system I had know idea what I was missing (and I was running a Dolby 5.1 system with 5 speakers). Going to digital via DVD and adding 2 subs via a new receiver, has made a world of difference. If you are on the fence – go for it. The only thing I don’t like is not enough time to enjoy it.<p>
John

Donnie Raines
10-13-2004, 4:11 PM
For effects, I like The Matrix....wonderfull quailty. I also like The Dinosuar movie(the cartoon....hey I got kids). The music and the over all sound is first class.

I have Bose speakers all around me.....sounds like your right there.

Oh...I also like the many war movies that are out. Gone in 60 seconds has great sound too.

John Weber
10-13-2004, 4:26 PM
Donnie,

Cool, I'm using the same speakers plus 2 new subs. They are sort of high end older Philips. But going to a digital signal via a fiber optic cable is what really took the sound to the next level. Now it's a bummer to what a VHS tape, the pro logic circuit will try and spread the channels, but it sounds muffled compared to the crisp rich sound of a true multi track sound track on a DVD. The new Star Wars release, while not perfect (maybe 98%) sounds great, hard to beleive they can take a 25 year old movie and have the sound crystal clear.

It's been a while since I've seen the Matrix, I'll need to check it out again.

John

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 4:38 PM
Lord of the Rings: pick any scene but the Helm's Deep scene in The Two Towers is jaw-dropping.

Donnie Raines
10-13-2004, 4:40 PM
Lord of the Rings: pick any scene but the Helm's Deep scene in The Two Towers is jaw-dropping.
Yeah....that one too!....and Harry Potter....(again...I have kids....) :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
10-13-2004, 4:43 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean had some good action scenes as well as great special effects for the ghosts. It was also in HD which made those even better!

Tyler Howell
10-13-2004, 4:46 PM
Shrek, Shrek & More Shrek!!!! #2 will be here Nov 2nd. Laughed so hard I cried.
Pirates of the Caribbean Too fun.:cool:

PS: A little Mel action:
Brave Heart and the Road Warrior Series.

Cool Sailboat in Water World

John Weber
10-13-2004, 4:50 PM
Yes, Lord of the Rings, I haven't seen them with my new system, but I bet it (the series) is awesome. Yes, Pirates of the Caribbean, just a great movie! And Shrek looks great of course.

John

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 5:08 PM
I get the feeling Donnie has kids...anyone else? ;) I have a kid and she's currently in love with Maisy and Winnie the Pooh. Of course, the Harry Potter movies/books are fun, too! :)

Ian Barley
10-13-2004, 5:25 PM
Blade Runner - the street scenes.

I never saw this at the cinema but had watched many times on VHS. The first time I saw it on DVD was like watching a different (better!!) movie.

JayStPeter
10-13-2004, 6:13 PM
Yeah, kids here. The Finding Nemo scene is definitely a good subwoofer test. Crank it up and it rocks the house. Scares the kids though :cool: :D

Unfortunately, you Bose guys won't be able to move enough air to truly enjoy it :cool: .

The Star Wars 1, Phantom Menace DVD also a great sound track. I suspect II and III are as well, but the movies just weren't good enough to buy.

Jay

JayStPeter
10-13-2004, 6:16 PM
[QUOTE=Tyler Howell]Shrek, Shrek & More Shrek!!!! #2 will be here Nov 2nd. Laughed so hard I cried.
Pirates of the Caribbean Too fun.:cool:
QUOTE]

Hmmm, I need to buy that one. I missed it at the theater. My 5 yr. old really wants it and tells me about the bubbles in the tub scene every time he, er .. makes bubbles in the tub.

Jay

Christopher Pine
10-13-2004, 7:07 PM
Well I guess if your perspective is best dvd for action scenes on a surround sound I am not your man... :) I like what I like however and I would propose the movie "Das Boot" (The boat) Awesome movie about German submarine crew... Just one off the top of my head.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-13-2004, 7:39 PM
IMO, best movie combined with sound is Band of Brothers. I know, Dr. Ambrose's book was better for detail, but the job Speilberg and Hanks did on that epic was nothing short of spectacular. That is the only movie that my Dad could not watch all the way thru.........Dad served in Korea, but the realism brought to the screen in Band of Brothers was just too much for Pop. Without a doubt, one of the best ever and my favorite.

(I watched it all the way thru in one day around the Holidays last year...........gonna do it again sometime soon too!) :eek:

Bruce Page
10-13-2004, 9:06 PM
I thought that Monsters, Inc. had great audio. Also, the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD has spectacular audio & visual.

A little dated but Top Gun had a great sound too.

Dan Mages
10-13-2004, 9:52 PM
There is a series of DVDs called the Superbit Series. What they do is move all of the added features and audio tracks and use that space on the disk to offer a higher bitrate image. This gives you a superior picture quality. I have Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and The Fifth Element in Superbit. The difference in the picture quality is stunning!!
http://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/superbit/

Dan

Jim Ketron
10-13-2004, 10:21 PM
The Matrix is a good one to watch on surround soundJim

Wes Bischel
10-13-2004, 11:41 PM
I would second "Das Boot". Cinematography is outstanding - all of the camera work is with-in the confines of the sub (talk about claustraphobia!!) As far as sound, I remember thinking the theater was going to implode during the depth charge scenes! :eek: The VHS version is OK with surround, and I'm not sure if it has been updated for DVD though.

Wes

Christopher Pine
10-14-2004, 1:22 AM
I would second "Das Boot". Cinematography is outstanding - all of the camera work is with-in the confines of the sub (talk about claustraphobia!!) As far as sound, I remember thinking the theater was going to implode during the depth charge scenes! :eek: The VHS version is OK with surround, and I'm not sure if it has been updated for DVD though.

Wes
Yes I have the dvd version...

Keith Starosta
10-14-2004, 8:38 AM
There have been some really good DVDs mentioned here, but if you REALLY want to show off your high-end bass/sub's, try out "U-571", the submarine movie with Matthew McConaughey. The depth-charge scenes will shake your house, which the wife will REALLY love!! :D

Keith

Christopher Pine
10-14-2004, 1:55 PM
There have been some really good DVDs mentioned here, but if you REALLY want to show off your high-end bass/sub's, try out "U-571", the submarine movie with Matthew McConaughey. The depth-charge scenes will shake your house, which the wife will REALLY love!! :D

Keith
ANother great one!

Don Farr
10-14-2004, 2:21 PM
My vote is for The Abyss and another one that will surprise you is The Fugitive. I read that they wrecked a real train to make that scene sound real.

Wes Bischel
10-14-2004, 4:52 PM
My only complaint about "U-571" was that it was billed as very accurate historically. Yet the whole story line was Hollywood fabrication. :rolleyes: Even the U-boat was all askew. Oh well, maybe I expected too much after "Das Boot".

Wes

Stefan Antwarg
10-14-2004, 5:14 PM
A good bass demo is The Haunting. The remake. Not the best movie, but it is some of the strongest bass you will hear. Sub movies, like Das Boot and U-571. Also The Matrix is full of surround effects. The Whole Nine Yards and Boiler Room don't neccesarily have great surround effects, but the sound quality itself is really clear. I have been into the Home Theater hobby for about 4 years. Although I can't afford to continually upgrade my equipment like some guys, I still like to buy the DVD's. Check out my collection if you wish - http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/tubaboyy

Stefan

P.S. Like any true Home theater enthusiast, I have to agree with Jay on the Bose comment.