PDA

View Full Version : Old Age and Winter Weather

Paul Ryan
01-02-2010, 12:27 AM
When I was younger and we had snow, I would ride my snowmobiles in any weather. I put on over 3000 miles a couple of seasons. I absolutly loved it. I liked cold weather and always wished for more snow. I have been much more of a cold weather person all of my life instead of warm weather. I would much rather have it be below 0 than over 100. But the older I get the more I start to dislike winter. 2 years ago I sold my snowmobiles manly due to the lack of use due to the lack of snow in my local area. I had enjoyed riding my harley much more because it is much easier on my body and I can be guaranteed some riding weather. Now winter seems to be longer and longer and colder and colder and frankly it is starting to annoy me. Currently it is -17 air temp with -30+ windchils. When I was younger I would have thought this was great. But now I really dont like it. So my question is, is my enjoyment of winter waning due to my lack of snow activities, or my older age?

Ted Calver
01-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Now you know why the snow birds migrate south every year :)

David G Baker
01-02-2010, 12:55 AM
As I age I find that the cold causes aches and pains associated with the aging process that I did not feel just a few years ago. I will be turning 66 in February. I never was one that spent a lot of time with snow sports but prefer doing heavier work in the colder part of the year rather in the heat of summer.
We haven't hit the below zero mark yet this year in Mid Michigan but the year is looking like it will be one of our colder Winters.
I look at my 300 foot driveway and wonder how long I will be able to put up with clearing it after a storm.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Yes......!

We were at or near age 40 when our youngest son started skiing. At or near 40 we took up skiing. For 10 years we had season passes at a local ski resort. We tried to not only get our money's worth from those passes but also hit a new resort or two each season. It consumed our every weekend from Thanksgiving into late March or early April.

At age 51 I broke my back. I haven't skiied since.

I'm sitting here typing this....and looking at 2 pair of snow shoes still in good condition.....maybe this winter......

6 of the 8 years I was in the Navy.....my wife hated the winters in south Georgia, Mississippi and south Texas.....No real winter as she knew it. Out of the Navy we have lived in central Oregon, nothern Illinois and now northern Idaho. Now she complains she doesn't like the cold...or it seems colder than it used to be.....

I can remember winters in Wyoming, Colorado and Utah. Even without expensive winter clothing, I managed to play outside in those winters.

I suspect it is as much as a change in mental attitude as it is physical change....

Belinda Barfield
01-02-2010, 9:08 AM
I've never lived where it really gets cold. We are having our first cold spell with the lows for the next couple of nights in the low 20s and the highs in the high 40s. On the up side, I get to break out a couple of sweaters that I like to wear. On the down side, the foot I broke years ago is already starting to ache, and my lower back injury from a couple of days ago is aching as well. Maybe it isn't age that keeps you from enjoying the cold as much, but the accumulated wear and tear on the body. Time to move south? :D

Paul Ryan
01-02-2010, 9:29 AM
This is the coldest morning I can remeber here. When I got up this morning my outdoor air temp was -32, currently weather.com says -31. Add in windchill it is something like -40. Sounds like a good day to do nothing.

Carlos Alden
01-02-2010, 9:37 AM
Definitely age. I moved to where I live for the winters and four seasons, and the last three years have been pretty much 5-6 months of winter. This year is much lighter so far, and I am liking it so much more. Heck, I'm going sailing today because it's only down to 35 or so.

But at 56, and my wife at 50, we both feel aches and pains like never before. Cold weather exacerbates joint issues. Once I'm out on X-Country skis for a bit I'm warmed up and it feels like the oil is circulating a bit, but until that point I just kinda hurt.

Carlos

David G Baker
01-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Belinda,
We spent Christmas in Kathleen GA. It was a pleasure to get away from the Mid Michigan cold and snow. The weather was cold for the area but great sweater weather for us. We hit snow in Kentucky on the way back and it stayed with us all the way home. Brought home some canned Georgia peaches and some locally grown pecans. Sure is beautiful country.
I agree that old body abuse comes back to haunt us as we age.

Bob Borzelleri
01-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Aging might have something to do with a decreasing tolerance for cold. My take on it is only indirectly related with the physical effects of age, in my view.

For me there has always been an important relationship between the amount of time and effort necessary to prepare for an enjoyable activity and the amount of time spent in that activity.

When I was younger, I didn't even account for the prep time. When I was an active diver, the amount of prep time vs. dive time was so far out of whack that, if I kept track of it, I wouldn't have kept diving for as long as I did.

After 20+ years of racing motorcycles, I started street riding. Much like diving, racing bikes required a ton of prep time for practically minutes of actual riding (an hour a day, at best). As it turned out, even street riding ended up requiring much more preparation than I was willing to continue as I got older. Not even factoring in the rate at which street riders in my area were falling like flies to blind left turning minivans; always having to account for riding gear and helmets began to limit the things Deb and I could do when we went out for rides. I eventually sold the street bikes and bought a Honda S2000 (two seats, a trunk and no helmets).

What does all this have to do with feeling colder as we get older, you might ask? Well, last I recall about living in a reliably warm climate, it wasn't all that hard to prepare for the winter.

It's been in the 30s and 40s for the last few weeks. What that means for me is splitting firewood, wearing more stuff than I like to, going out to turn on the shop heater 20 minutes before I can actual begin doing anything constructive in there and then there is the snow.

I'm the only guy on our private road with a plow (on the ATV). In addition to our 300 ft long sloping driveway, we are about 3/8 of a mile away from the county maintained road so after I do the driveway, I do our road, too.

Doing all this winter stuff is worth the price of admission for living how and where we do so, while I am willing to do it all, I can't ignore the fact that I used to be willing to devote a ton of preparation and maintenance in service of pounds of fun time. Now I do it with a bit of grumpiness.

As for actually dealing with the cold, if I take the time to dress accordingly, I can handle cold every bit as easily now at 65 as I could when I was 30 and skiing 75 days a year.

Mike Henderson
01-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I find the opposite - I can't tolerate hot weather like I used to. I grew up in Louisiana with no air conditioning and never thought anything of it. But now, if it's hot, I can't sleep. And going outside in the heat of summer is just miserable for me.

We don't get any really cold weather here, so I can't make a valid comparison to places with snow and ice. This area stays "cool" most of the year (except for August and September) which I'm really thankful for.

Mike

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm sure age plays a big part in it! I've spent my share of time out in the elements having fun but I find I don't tolerate the extremes in temp like I once did. While we haven't had the extreme cold temps that you are presently experiencing - we will once Lake Superior freezes over.

Winter - at least in my neck of the woods - is a major part of the lifestyle due mainly to our location on the southern shore of Lake Superior. To say we get dumped on with snow is an understatement most years and it is something you just get used to each winter. However, it does become a chore to get all dressed up to protect yourself from the elements, spend an hour or longer snowblowing and then watch as your driveway rapidly fills in with snow from yet another lake effect weather system.

Like others - I feel the temps differently than I have in the past. Now everything just seems to hurt - past injuries, exposed facial areas that have been frostbit and fingers! I understand a little more with each passing winter why some folks decide to migrate south during this time of year. I'm not there yet - but I am beginning to understand.

Speaking of which - I have to go snowblow as we have about 2' of snow with some 3' drifts in the drive and we are expecting family over for dinner. Course, it is 10*, still snowing with a 10 - 20 mph North wind - all there just to add to the entertainment package!

Dennis Peacock
01-02-2010, 12:20 PM
I find the opposite - I can't tolerate hot weather like I used to. I grew up in Louisiana with no air conditioning and never thought anything of it. But now, if it's hot, I can't sleep. And going outside in the heat of summer is just miserable for me.

We don't get any really cold weather here, so I can't make a valid comparison to places with snow and ice. This area stays "cool" most of the year (except for August and September) which I'm really thankful for.

Mike

I'm with ya Mike.!!!! I just can't take the heat like I used to. I love the fall, winter, & spring months....but I can't take the summers as well any more. I even still ride my motorcycle to/from work in the winter. Nice ride with the right gear on. :)

Phyllis Meyer
01-02-2010, 1:18 PM
I am so ready to be out of the winter weather at age 46. I don't ski, or snowmobile. I will go with friends ice fishing once in a blue moon and although I love the snow for Christmas...it can all go away now! Right now it's -12...brrrrrrr! Our goal is to be able to head south for the winters. #1...oh maybe it's number 3, 4 on the list...have to make enough money to migrate south for the winters:cool:

Phyllis:)

Paul Ryan
01-02-2010, 2:59 PM
So far today hasn't been so bad. I planned on staying inside an keeping warm. But changed my mind and decided to go out and run some erands. Once I got out and started running around I remembered why I like winter. It is the crisp air, the freezing of my mustach, and the crackling of my nylon jacket when it gets cold. Currently it is -17 with the sun shining. With the sun shinning it really doesn't feel bad. I really don't think I could leave MN it is to diverse of a place as far as the senery goes. But we will see as I get older. I think it is my lack of activites that gets me down. I have more and more aches and pains every year, some old injuries that start to express themselves when it gets cold. But for now I think I am staying put. And besides business is up when it gets cold. Cars dont like the cold weather and it seems to effect them the older they get as well.

Dave Verstraete
01-02-2010, 3:35 PM
I am so ready to be out of the winter weather at age 46. I don't ski, or snowmobile. I will go with friends ice fishing once in a blue moon and although I love the snow for Christmas...it can all go away now! Right now it's -12...brrrrrrr! Our goal is to be able to head south for the winters. #1...oh maybe it's number 3, 4 on the list...have to make enough money to migrate south for the winters:cool:

Phyllis
The "Blue Moon " was two days ago!!! Did you go ice fishing?

Jim Rimmer
01-02-2010, 7:47 PM
I think I agree with those who say it is age. I grew up in Oklahoma (where it gets a lot colder thatn some folks think). I lived in Iowa for a couple of years where you get the deep snow and really, really cold. I now live in Houston, which I thought I hated, but visited Okla. and west Texas during the holidays. Okla was really cold and we got caught in the pre-Christmas blizzard in west Texas. i used to enjoy cold weather but I was really glad to get back to Houston where the temps are moderate. I guess I need to move to the north side of town away from the hurricane-threatened coast, enjoy the activities available in the 3rd largest US city, stay away from the high crime areas and just enjoy not being so cold.

Jacob Mac
01-02-2010, 8:21 PM
I'm 32, so I don't qualify as old yet, but I hate the cold. We have had a ton of snow this winter, and it has been bitterly cold. I can be outside in it, but why? I keep trying to get my wife to move further south. But so far, no luck.

Jason Roehl
01-02-2010, 8:33 PM
I'm getting to where I just don't mind any weather as much. The only one that still sticks in my craw a bit is days in a row of rain or clouds. As I've gotten older and put on a little more "natural insulation", I have found that I can tolerate the colder temps a little better. Just yesterday, one of our friends left our NYD game party only to turn right back around with a flat on their one-ton, 15-passenger van. Out I went into the 10ºF night to change it for her. Of course, it took a little while to crank the spare down from its under-chassis position, and drag out my impact wrench, but when it was all said and done, only my toes were a little cold because I only had on a thin pair of cotton socks and some slightly worn tennis shoes (aside from the other clothing). I didn't feel cold.

On the other extreme, I can still tolerate the really hot, humid weather, but I don't enjoy it like I use to--I use to thrive on it, but that was before my body learned how to really pour out the sweat.

As for joint aches and such, I find that it's not so much what the weather currently is, but quick changes in the weather that remind me of how I've abused my joints over the years (thankfully no major injuries, though).

Ron Jones near Indy
01-02-2010, 8:53 PM
It's 3 degrees with a wind chill of -10 here tonight. I've been out a few time today and didn't mind the cold. I'll take the cold over the hot and humid anytime. I suffered a heat related illness about 30 years ago and haven't tolerated heat well since. I have had 2 summers where I did a lot of extra work in very hot, humid conditions. I did drink a lot of water, or so I thought. In late Oct. of each of those years I had kidney stones (that's not a lot of fun). I have to think there is a correlation between all the sweating that I did and the kidney stones.

Paul Ryan
01-02-2010, 10:03 PM
I am really starting to wonder how cold it is going to get tonight. Currently at 9 pm it is -26 air temp thank gosh only a 3 mph wind so no real wind chill. The house has been creaking and making noise all day. It has plenty of weight on the roof from all of the snow we have gotten. But it didn't make these noises until it got below zero.

Eddie Watkins
01-03-2010, 12:46 AM
For me, at 60 it is definitely age. We have always kept our thermostat at 68 in the winter and it has felt fine. I never even thought about it. This year, 68 is feeling cold, I keep having the urge to turn up the heat. Heat has not started bothering me, yet. We still keep the thermostat at 76 in the summer with ceiling fans. I grew up in CA and live in OK now. I may move south when we get retired.

Greg Peterson
01-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Definitely age related. I know that as we age, we lose muscle mass. This lose is not a factor of aging but generally the result of relatively sedentary lifestyles.

A strong (not just healthy) cardiovascular system and a high muscle mass ratio seems to be the two of the main differences between youth and the more mature individuals among us.

I'll go out on a limb, with no scientific evidence, and say that there is a relationship between metabolism, muscle mass, cardiovascular efficiency and temperature. I'll leave it to a doctor to connect the dots.

As for heat, anything over 70 degrees is overkill. Any gardening must be completed by 10 AM during summer.

So long as I fuel up and dress accordingly, I can handle cold weather. Heat? I don't of know way to handle it other than proper hydration and frequent cool down periods.

Paul Ryan
01-03-2010, 1:41 PM
It was -32 again this morning. I went to my folks place and replaced the battery in their van. It had been causing problems for a few weeks and now wouldn't start with the cold weather. I just needed to get my winter fur I quess. Since my 1st post when the cold was really bothering me. I have made a point to get out and suck it up, and just get use to it. And I am back to my old self. After I got home from replaceing the battery I went on the roof and had to unplug the "poop pipe" (sewer vent). Smelling sewer gas in the middle of the night is no fun. I think I just need to stay active when I get lazy the cold gets to me.

Dave Hartunian
01-03-2010, 9:08 PM
I live in South Eastern Michigan and I ache all year. Makes no diff on the season. The only thing I like about cold winters is that it keeps my pop cold in the garage. That's all.

Phyllis Meyer
01-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I didn't go ice fishing but the moon was beautiful through the window of our warm house:rolleyes:!

Al Willits
01-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Not sure what "old" is to ya Paul, but at 62 for me its definitely a age thing.

I'm finding the recovery time from getting cold is longer now, also the fingers get cold quicker and being outside in minus zero temps is not fun anymore.

That's why I like woodworking in the winter...its warm. :D

Al...a balmy -7 now...

Lee Schierer
01-04-2010, 11:24 AM
I believe you are only as old as you think. If you let the aches and pains limit your activities, then your activities will be more and more limited as time goes on.

I pulled my snowshoes out of the basement on Saturday and took the dog for a one hour jaunt through the 18-24" of snow in our back field and woods. He had a ball and I got a good work out. I couldn't have done it without snow shoes and it was too soft for skis. I was a tiny bit stiff on Sunday, but felt fine on Monday to blow out the driveway. We had an additional 18-24" of snow in the driveway with drifts hitting 48" this morning.

Paul Ryan
01-04-2010, 6:11 PM
Still goin strong here fellas, 4th day temperatures haven't been in the positive. It was a balmy -28 this morning, and currently -8. And it appears it may not reach positive figures until thursday afternoon if were are lucky. If we make it that far the temps would be continusly below zero for a whole week. I had one of those gosh darn it is stinking (I said a different word) cold still. So I am having good days and bad days. It would sure be nice if it would warm up. 20's and above I will work in the shop that would put the shop at about 35, that is nice weather. But with out heat in the shop it is too cold. So I am still stuck in the house or the car working. Look on the brite side the Vikes are the #2 seed and now have Dome field advantage. No more playing out doors until Miami. Stay warm everyone.

Brian Kent
01-04-2010, 7:11 PM
This is the coldest morning I can remeber here. When I got up this morning my outdoor air temp was -32, currently weather.com says -31. Add in windchill it is something like -40. Sounds like a good day to do nothing.

As you grow older you get smarter. When it is -40 (even with windchill) if you were to go from outside into your refrigerator freezer, you move up 58 degrees.

Every once in a while I hear people saying "Once it is below freezing it doesn't matter how much colder it is." What that really means is they haven't been outdoors very long at -40. I experienced that once at Loveland pass in Colorado and for a week in Russia. Great for bragging rights, but it's really just a good time to stay warm inside.

Out of mercy and friendship I will not tell you how warm it is in Riverside, CA today.

Brian

Greg Peterson
01-04-2010, 7:42 PM
I believe you are only as old as you think. If you let the aches and pains limit your activities, then your activities will be more and more limited as time goes on.

At my young and tender age of 46 I refuse to concede that eventually I will become too old and weak to do the activities I do now. I consider the time I spend in the gym working my body to be every bit as much of an investment in my future as the money that goes into my retirement funds.

Keeping fit is the best investment anyone can make, period.

Glad to hear you were able to play in the snow Lee. Never to old to take the dog for a romp in the snow. At least I don't want to get that old.

Jason Roehl
01-04-2010, 7:42 PM
Those are some good points, Brian. I've gotten to where, when dressed properly, I can stay outside in 0ºF almost indefinitely. The coldest I've ever experienced is about -25ºF, and I don't care who y'are, that's darn cold. I didn't stray far from somewhere I could get warm, and I don't normally let my vehicles idle, but I did that day. When I first started my truck that day, it made so many extra noises, I really wondered if it was going to just fall apart under me.

Come Fall, I always try to go as long as I can before I transition to long pants, jackets, sweatshirts, etc. It seems to help my blood thicken up and allow me to better tolerate the cooler weather. That, and the thermostat is set for 66ºF during the day and 60ºF at night in the winter...

Paul Ryan
01-04-2010, 9:56 PM
Every once in a while I hear people saying "Once it is below freezing it doesn't matter how much colder it is." What that really means is they haven't been outdoors very long at -40. I experienced that once at Loveland pass in Colorado and for a week in Russia. Great for bragging rights, but it's really just a good time to stay warm inside.

Brian

That is the truth Brian,

I traved about 110 miles south today for work. Not that far south but it was only -2 there and that felt much warmer than the -30's we had here. I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the +20's the weather terrorists are predicting for this weekend. If those come I can dust of my summer cloths and beach towels. We have an outdoor beer fest at the local brewery in Feb every year we are usually out for 6 hours. Last year the high was 5 and when dressed for it and on your feet it isn't bad. Especially when you are filling yourself with warming fluid. Deer hunting is different, sitting still in cold weather with the wind blowing on you it is easy to get cold. If you wear too much you get hot and sweaty on the way out but then freeze after sitting for an hour.

Al Willits
01-06-2010, 9:43 AM
That is the truth Brian,

I traved about 110 miles south today for work. Not that far south but it was only -2 there and that felt much warmer than the -30's we had here. I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the +20's the weather terrorists are predicting for this weekend. If those come I can dust of my summer cloths and beach towels. We have an outdoor beer fest at the local brewery in Feb every year we are usually out for 6 hours. Last year the high was 5 and when dressed for it and on your feet it isn't bad. Especially when you are filling yourself with warming fluid. Deer hunting is different, sitting still in cold weather with the wind blowing on you it is easy to get cold. If you wear too much you get hot and sweaty on the way out but then freeze after sitting for an hour.

I remember being at one of the Leech Lake ell pout tourny's and having the beer freeze in my gloved hand it was so cold...spent most of the day in the ice house trying to keep warm next to the wood stove.

You couldn't hardly keep the holes open for the tip ups so we jusy gave up on anything outside of the house.

Not sure what temp was but I heard -27 from one fisherman, plus 20-30 mph winds, either way, exposed skin only took a little time to start getting very cold.

Young or not, them kind of temps are brutal.

Al

Lee Schierer
01-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Glad to hear you were able to play in the snow Lee. Never to old to take the dog for a romp in the snow. At least I don't want to get that old.

The dog enjoyed it too.

John alder
01-08-2010, 1:44 PM
When I was younger and we had snow, I would ride my snowmobiles in any weather. I put on over 3000 miles a couple of seasons. I absolutly loved it. I liked cold weather and always wished for more snow. I have been much more of a cold weather person all of my life instead of warm weather. I would much rather have it be below 0 than over 100. But the older I get the more I start to dislike winter. 2 years ago I sold my snowmobiles manly due to the lack of use due to the lack of snow in my local area. I had enjoyed riding my harley much more because it is much easier on my body and I can be guaranteed some riding weather. Now winter seems to be longer and longer and colder and colder and frankly it is starting to annoy me. Currently it is -17 air temp with -30+ windchils. When I was younger I would have thought this was great. But now I really dont like it. So my question is, is my enjoyment of winter waning due to my lack of snow activities, or my older age?

You didnt say how old you are but I'm going on 72 and all i can say to you younger folks out the is "wait it gets worse"(grin)

David G Baker
01-08-2010, 3:57 PM
John,
AMEN!

Larry Edgerton
01-10-2010, 8:36 AM
I'm fifty something, and with sixty some broken bones in my past winter is getting harder. I am currently working outside restoring a home in Michigan, and it is tough. I fell 8' last week when water dripping from the roof froze on the pick without me noticing. I landed on my back on a rock, where years ago I may have had the catlike reflexes to land on my feet. Now I just have catlike thoughts as I land with a thud.

So now I have a swollen spine to add to my winter enjoyment....

After 30 some years of woodworking my hands are beat to hell, and working with gloves is like washing your feet with your socks on, so that part is making me suffer as well. Once temps get down to around 18, I'm done these days, where I used to be able to work glove free down to about 0 degrees.

No, winter does get harder as time marches on, especially if you actually have to work in it.

Next year I am going to try to get by just on shop work for the winter, but a guy does what he has to do.......

I am also buying A Kubota/snowblower with a cab and a heater!

Rich Engelhardt
01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Snow sucks
Ice sucks
Cold sucks
Getting dark early/light late sucks
Salt on the roads sucks
Winter just plain sucks.

I can't wait until Summer comes & I can complain about the heat, humidity & bugs ;)

Paul Ryan
01-10-2010, 1:51 PM
Snow sucks
I can't wait until Summer comes & I can complain about the heat, humidity & bugs ;)

Rich,

I will be right along with you complaining about the heat and humidity. I hate that stuff much much more than the cold. But after a week of temps that have 1 or 2 days barley above 0 it gets to me. Today it is almost like summer currently 12. Compared to the lastest weather that is warm, and it sure does feel like it too.