PDA

View Full Version : Butterless Popcorn Bowl

Baxter Smith
01-01-2010, 11:23 PM
After doing some apple roughouts I thought I would try some of your suggestions and finish turn a utility bowl to 3/8 and live with whatever happened in the way of warping and cracking. 95% was 3/8 until I parted it off!:D

Can't say I care for popcorn with no butter so had to try again.

Thanks for everyones suggestions! They are very helpful!:)
The main trunk is gone so its on to the limbs!

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Great time to add a pedestal!

Good looking bowls! Great coloring!

Dave Halter
01-01-2010, 11:55 PM
That is some beautiful wood. I like Steve's idea of adding a pedestal to the "strainer".

Dave

David E Keller
01-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Pretty bowls with a nice utilitarian form... Except for the hole of course. Way to get right back to it after the faux pas... Been there and done that.

Richard Madison
01-02-2010, 1:03 AM
Got epoxy?

Baxter Smith
01-02-2010, 9:20 AM
Now you've got me thinking! (Not always good;)) Is there any point in turning a pedestal or in using epoxy now until the bowl dries and has done whatever it is going to do. Although thin, the bottom didn't actually crack until I flexed it. I will be interested to look at it this morning and see how much bigger it is with the drying. It had opened up quite a bit in the 3 or 4 hours between turning and taking the picture.

Secondly, I put on some mineral oil for finish. Thought it might slow the drying/cracking a little bit. What other finishes are acceptable for something that wet or should I have waited a couple of days before putting something on. Your suggestions are appreciated!:)

John Keeton
01-02-2010, 9:44 AM
Baxter, I am following this thread on the wet bowl idea. It will be interesting to see how all this works out - might want to try this!

Scott Lux
01-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Gorgeous wood! Man, I love apple. Bummer on the first one, but you've gotten some good suggestions on saving it. And the 2nd is great.

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2010, 2:56 PM
Baxter I would wait for the bowl to dry. I have also taken some of the same wood or contrasting wood flattened the bottom and glued the piece on. Some people say it is a waste of time but for me anyway those that I have goofed on and repaired have sold the best for some reason. I had a cherry bowl that I did the same thing to and glued a walnut foot on it and finished turning. It sold before the other four bowls I displayed with it.

Gary Chester
01-02-2010, 9:33 PM
For those of us on a diet... a hole on the the bottom to let the excess butter drain out isn't such a bad idea...

suppose it could be messy tho...

Leo Van Der Loo
01-02-2010, 9:53 PM
Baxter stuff those bowls in a brown paper bag for a few weeks, it will help them survive :eek: :)

As for the super thin one, it'll always look like a fix, but yes you could glue a piece of the same applewood to the bottom, the color would be right.

Baxter Smith
01-03-2010, 2:55 AM
Thanks for the repair ideas. Probably easiest if I just give it too my wife and keep the solid one for myself. She doesn't like butter on her popcorn!:D

Leo, I will put those in a bag tomorrow. Hadn't brought them into the house yet because I thought it was too warm and dry. I will be extra cautious for a couple of weeks!:)