PDA

View Full Version : Wood golf putter

Roger Bullock
01-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Posted this in the design forum the other day but this forum seems to catch more readers, so here it is.......OK I've got another hobby besides woodworking, that dreaded four letter word.....GOLF. I would like to make a wooden putter, mallet style with a turned hickory shaft. I have seen several companies that sell them on the web but I have not seen any plans or instructions. I completed a quick mock up in the shop and found that I will have to add weight to get the feel right. I was thinking a center bore filled with melted lead for the additional weight. Some manufactures use a custom brass base plate and acrylic strike plate but I am thinking of Cocobolo instead. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Perry Holbrook
01-02-2010, 9:12 AM
I made a putter once. Shaft was cherry, head was ebony. I tried adding weight with some lead inserts, but it wasn't enough. I finally got the balance right by adding a layer of lead sheet to the bottom of the head. I don't know if soft lead sheet stock is available any more. I had some that I found in our old house. It's pliable (sp) and attached with brads and double side tape.

Perry

Perry Holbrook
01-02-2010, 12:06 PM
I just looked at McMaster-Carr, they have lead in sheets of various thickness.

Perry