PDA

View Full Version : Another Tack Trunk Completed

Jim Becker
01-01-2010, 10:54 PM
About a year ago, I completed "our" tack trunk (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97948&highlight=Tack) and recently added a drawer unit (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=125928&highlight=Tack) to it...with four of us riding, we needed more room for our "stuff" at the barn. Not long ago, I agreed to purchase a very nice French dressage saddle from another border at our barn, but I couldn't afford to do it all in cash. The gentleman suggested that in addition to the very large pile of cash I offered, a tack trunk similar to ours would seal the deal. Today, I finished (literally...:)) that final payment for my wonderful saddle.

The saddle in question:

Mr. Murphy's new "Taj Mahal Tack Trunk. The top unit is a typical 36"W x 24"D x 30"H trunk. The lower drawer unit is 36"W x 30"D x 14"H and has full extension slides for easy access to "everything". Cabinet grade 1/2" birch ply dyed something akin to "Antique Maple" trimmed with black walnut. (The walnut was milled off our property in 2000) Finish is BLO, de-waxed shellac, Target Coatings EM6000 water borne acrylic lacquer. Note that the actual color of the field is lighter than in these pictures--much more golden...for some reason, I couldn't get Photoshop to "get the red out" this time around.

I'm actually giving serious consideration to offering these to other equestrians in the area, despite swearing up and down for years that I didn't want to make stuff for other folks as a "business". But there are segments of the equestrian world that are quite affluent and it might be a nice way to get more shop time that pays for a bit of the tack addiction...yea, riding is it's own vortex just like this woodworking thing... LOL

glenn bradley
01-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Beautifully done. I'll need to make sure LOML's daughter doesn't get a look at that ;-)

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Jim - very impressive work! Very nice design - really like the wood combination! Mr. Murphy should be very pleased with his new trunk!

gary Zimmel
01-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Another great Tack Trunk Jim.
Knowing what the equine world costs you may have to build a whole lots of those tack trunks.

John Keeton
01-02-2010, 7:21 AM
Jim, you have the design elements of these things down pat! I like the color combination (given your comments regarding the red), and I always like walnut!

Of particular interest is the high tech finishing stand you have used!;) I have one of those, as well, and they work great.

William Hutchinson
01-02-2010, 7:48 AM
Fine looking trunk. I think Mr. Murphy came away with a nice deal and he was kind enough to suspend his "law" to allow you to build a flawless piece.

Keith Starosta
01-02-2010, 8:39 AM
Very nice, Jim!! It's good to see you post a project! It's been a while, and I've missed it.

- Keith

Baxter Smith
01-02-2010, 8:49 AM
That definitely wouldn't "fit" in the horsebarns I have been in! I don't know what that saddle cost but it definitely has been paid for.

Cody Colston
01-02-2010, 9:16 AM
Jim, that tack trunk is super...great design and craftsmanship.

I have a question, though. Although I haven't owned a horse in years, I grew up riding and did so well into my adult years. But, all the riding I did was "western". Saddles were placed on a rack, bridles and halters were hung on a wall peg, blankets and pads placed bottom-side-up to dry.

Other than grooming gear, which in my experience was simply a curry comb and brush, what do you place in a tack trunk that requires so much space?

John Thompson
01-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Excellent job Jim. Know what you mean about having second thoughts about doing commissions as it is definitely another commitment. I would just evaluate if you really have time to take on the responsibility as it's like running a business on the side regardless if you know the clients personally.

The piece looks great...

Jim Becker
01-02-2010, 7:45 PM
I have a question, though. Although I haven't owned a horse in years, I grew up riding and did so well into my adult years. But, all the riding I did was "western". Saddles were placed on a rack, bridles and halters were hung on a wall peg, blankets and pads placed bottom-side-up to dry.

Actually, that's an excellent question. The trunk up top contains grooming and healthcare items, my daughter's helmets (I bring mine home to dry as I have a very sweaty head, even in the winter and Professor Dr. SWMBO keeps her's in her Prius), tack cleaning supplies, coolers (blankets used while cooling a horse down after riding or at the beginning of exercise), the clean "extra" blankets for winter, etc. The lower drawer unit contains my dressage pads, whips, spurs, dressage girth (cinch in Western), extra (clean) halters, salt licks, some additional grooming supplies and, of course...carrots)

Our saddles (we have four) are on wall-mounted racks and the bridles are also hung on appropriate hardware on the wall. Same for regular girths and my draw reins. "In use" pads are draped over the saddles, but they get changed and washed frequently.

So yea...a lot of stuff for one horse. And that doesn't count the items at home that are in the 'wash cycle'.... :)
------

Here's a (poor) picture of Frank's trunk "installed" in the tack room.

Cody Colston
01-02-2010, 8:50 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I can see where a lot of space is required for all that stuff. Again, the tack trunk looks great. I'll wager they become very popular with the equestrian crowd there.

Bruce Page
01-02-2010, 9:22 PM
Jim, beautiful job, as always!

Richard Wolf
01-03-2010, 4:51 PM
Beautiful job.

Richard

Jim Becker
01-03-2010, 9:56 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. Interestingly, I have several folks on the horse forum community that I also spend time on that are interested in trunks. Maybe I've stumbled on a niche that isn't being satisfied fully by other sources...