PDA

View Full Version : log hauler

Barry wines
01-01-2010, 10:50 PM
The Amish guys that I know have log haulers that are pulled by horses. We (my two boys and me) only have a 4 wheeler so this is our adaption.
It's very maneuverable and because of its narrow width it can fit in some toght places. We cut the wheel and partial axle out of and old trailer fabricated this hauler. It can haul up to a 28 inch log and we have hauled logs weighing up to 1900lbs. You don't want to whiz up to a stop sign with a 1900lb on behind you.

Bruce Wrenn
01-01-2010, 11:03 PM
I built a one for a friend about 20 years ago. Got the idea from "Mother Earth News." A new force main was being run beside a local highway. Because the trees that had to be removed had many signs attached to them over the years, timber buyers weren't interested. Contractor would cut logs into 12' lengths. My friend would put log toter in back of his pick up, as he had only one parking space at work, and then go by on way home, drop off toter, load a log and bring it home. He did this everyday for several weeks,. Because he had to load toter in and out of the back of his pickup, we used 14 ga, 2" square tubing. If I were building it today, I would use 12 ga, or 3/16" instead. We put a winch over where the axles are to lift log, then safety chained it off.