PDA

View Full Version : enco 8 inch jointer

Karl Card
01-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I just purchases my first jointer. Made by enco model number is 150-5110. it is a discontinued model but still new in box. I know this isnt top of line because i cant afford top of line but i gave 325 for it. I havent picked it up yet but has anyone used one of these and what should i look for when setting up? 220 volt single phase 2 hp motor 66 inch long "deck"

Bruce Page
01-02-2010, 3:33 AM
I don't know the Enco joiner but they are all basically the same design. I guess my main caution would be to not pick up the machine by the table ends if you can possibly avoid it. Other than that, enjoy the new machine and be sure to post pic's when you can!

Anthony Diodati
01-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Well it's a month now. What does it look like, how is it working.
Post a few pictures.

Looks like the one they have now only has 53" table's
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=150-5105&PMPXNO=953751&PARTPG=INLMK3
Thanks, Tony

Karl Card
01-31-2010, 11:23 PM
Well it's a month now. What does it look like, how is it working.
Post a few pictures.

Looks like the one they have now only has 53" table's
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=150-5105&PMPXNO=953751&PARTPG=INLMK3
Thanks, Tony

I most certainly will post a pic tomorrow evening and tell a little about it.

Anthony Diodati
01-02-2014, 3:00 PM
I most certainly will post a pic tomorrow evening and tell a little about it.

and he most certainly did not.
Might be looking at one my self, would like to hear about it\
and see pictures.
I think it's in Cleveland though.

Rich Riddle
01-02-2014, 5:35 PM
The Enco 8" jointer is the same jointer as the Jet JJ8-CS jointer. Found that out after rebuilding a Jet jointer and needing parts. Enco has the similar manual as the Jet, and I still have a copy of the Jet and Enco manuals if you want them in an e-mail. They were made on the same assembly line and have parts. If a part breaks on a Jet, it's much less expensive to order the Enco part; go figure. Here is a picture of the rebuilt Jet prior to being upgraded to a MiniMax. Since I painted it battleship grey, you really have no idea if it started at as a Jet, Enco, etc., etc. Many Asian companies badged the identical jointer. Apparently the white paint from Jet cost far more to produce because they sure price it that way.

Here is a picture of an Enco 8" jointer:

Strange thing is that if you "google" the terms "Enco jointer" and then select images, the Jet jointers will appear.

Anthony Diodati
01-02-2014, 5:45 PM
Thanks Rich,
No go.................. You know how these people are.They get there money, and thats the end of that.
I was ready for a possible road trip, But get a return call, (he left a message) The jointer is gone.
It was posted a month ago.
Well it would be nice if they took the ad down. I was looking forward to getting it.
I got a call in on a grizzly (e mail really) not heard back either.
Looked decent (the ENCO)

Too bad enco don't make that jointer any more.
This Grizzly ad is 14 days old, no return e mail, It's probably gone too.
http://images.craigslist.org/00E0E_6BkASpkErXQ_600x450.jpg

Anthony Diodati
01-02-2014, 5:53 PM
Oh, I can get this one for $400.00 but it's 3 phase, and 5 1/2 hours one way away.
he was asking $625.00
I offered $400 in an e mail, didn't realize it was so far away.said to be older Delta Rockwell.
the Grizzly is only about 1 1/2 hour away.
He had that make offer B/S in the ad.
http://images.craigslist.org/00L0L_8duCT9JDSDN_600x450.jpg

Rich Riddle
01-02-2014, 6:07 PM
Oh, I can get this one for $400.00 but it's 3 phase, and 5 1/2 hours one way away.
he was asking $625.00
I offered $400 in an e mail, didn't realize it was so far away.said to be older Delta Rockwell.
the Grizzly is only about 1 1/2 hour away.

You would have too much in it. That jointer is not one of the Asian clones. The "pork chop" is different and the area that holds the pork chop is an incline without a flat part on the bottom. Someone hasn't taken care of that jointer in the least. The way it's photographed, it looks like something he purchased elsewhere and wants to flip sale. It's too darn heavy to move without a base and would be impossible to use setup as it's sitting. Three-phase means it's seen industrial use and abuse. You'd have double the value in that one before it ran well, or more than double.

Anthony Diodati
01-02-2014, 6:34 PM
you mean there's something wrong with the pork chop?
"impossible to use setup as it's sitting"
You mean needs the VFD or 1 ph. motor, mobile base.

It's too far to drive in a way too. Thanks, Guess I'll pass.

How about the Grizz if he ever writes me back?
Some people if they sell something, won't even bother to tell you it's sold.

Rich Riddle
01-02-2014, 8:25 PM
you mean there's something wrong with the pork chop?
"impossible to use setup as it's sitting"
You mean needs the VFD or 1 ph. motor, mobile base.

It's too far to drive in a way too. Thanks, Guess I'll pass.

How about the Grizz if he ever writes me back?
Some people if they sell something, won't even bother to tell you it's sold.

There is nothing wrong with the pork chop, but Asian and American models had very different pork chops. That's one of the fastest ways to tell them apart.

I mean the way the jointer is situated in the shop, he could not have used it surrounded by all the other material. It would not have been easy to move since it had not mobile base. A VFD or one phase motor, plus fuel for delivery/pickup, plus new bearings, plus potentially regrinding, plus etc., makes this a terrible deal.

You can tell by the pictures, it's been used hard. You can tell by the fact that it's 3-phase that it had people operating it who didn't own it; rarely a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I will buy an industrial machine with the intent of totally rebuilding it. BUT, I will factor in those costs to the purchase price. An straight blade 8" jointer in prime condition is worth about $750-$1000. Keep running from that one. I will keep an eye and ear out for you since we're only about three hours apart.

Clay Fails
01-02-2014, 8:44 PM
Can you find a decent Older DJ 20 near you? I picked one up off Craigslist 3 or 4 years ago and am very happy with it. Good advice about not lifting by the beds. They must remain coplanar for the machine to work properly.

Anthony Diodati
01-02-2014, 9:11 PM
There is nothing wrong with the pork chop, but Asian and American models had very different pork chops. That's one of the fastest ways to tell them apart.

I mean the way the jointer is situated in the shop, he could not have used it surrounded by all the other material. It would not have been easy to move since it had not mobile base. A VFD or one phase motor, plus fuel for delivery/pickup, plus new bearings, plus potentially regrinding, plus etc., makes this a terrible deal.

You can tell by the pictures, it's been used hard. You can tell by the fact that it's 3-phase that it had people operating it who didn't own it; rarely a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I will buy an industrial machine with the intent of totally rebuilding it. BUT, I will factor in those costs to the purchase price. An straight blade 8" jointer in prime condition is worth about $750-$1000. Keep running from that one. I will keep an eye and ear out for you since we're only about three hours apart.

Thanks, Now e e mails me and said if I am serious, he will meet me 1/2 way for $500.00
He must want that sold BAD!
The Grizz in gone, kind of thought it would be.
I have a possible line on one in Pgh, about 1 1/2 hour away, but no motor or no stand. And he wants $400.00.......................
I just wrote and offered $200.00.
He had a machine repair ,restore business, and wants to retire. So I told him if he wants to move it, I would go $200.00.
I don't think it's worth much more than that.

Anthony Diodati
01-02-2014, 9:13 PM
Can you find a decent Older DJ 20 near you? I picked one up off Craigslist 3 or 4 years ago and am very happy with it. Good advice about not lifting by the beds. They must remain coplanar for the machine to work properly.

that would be nice, but I bet they want big bucks. There is this Buy and sell groups on face book in our area, I put a WTB for 8" or 10" probably a long shot.
I can see where picking up by the table ends= bad Idea!

Rich Riddle
01-02-2014, 9:44 PM
Anthony,

There is a one-phase Wallace from you less than half the distance for $400 offering price, likely sell for $300. It's a much better unit than the one he's trying to pilfer. If the wife wouldn't start eviction proceedings, it would be in our garage.

Anthony Diodati
01-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Monroe Ohio?
Still 222 mi, 3 hours 31 mins

Anthony Diodati
01-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Thanks, Now e e mails me and said if I am serious, he will meet me 1/2 way for $500.00
He must want that sold BAD!
The Grizz in gone, kind of thought it would be.
I have a possible line on one in Pgh, about 1 1/2 hour away, but no motor or no stand. And he wants $400.00.......................
I just wrote and offered $200.00.
He had a machine repair ,restore business, and wants to retire. So I told him if he wants to move it, I would go $200.00.
I don't think it's worth much more than that.

the guy with the delta minus motor and stand for $400.00 wrote back, He is tough.
He told me to not take less than $200.00 for my jet loc fence. (I can't even get a bite on it for $125.00.)
he wrote back,
Thank you for your interest in the jointer BUTTTTTTT, i have other inquiries of it , first $400. takes it.
I just offered $200.00 & my jet loc fence, don't think I'll hear back though.
Don't you think $400.00 is too much? This is Delta Rockwell, IIRC circa 1975 minus stand and motor.
I don't think he will get $400.00 for it.

LOL other inquiries, he didn't even have it posted I had to call and asked if he happened to have a 8" jointer.

I would like to have that Wallace for $400.00, but is a bit of a drive for me right now.

Anthony Diodati
01-05-2014, 6:28 AM
This ones nice too, but too rich for my blood/wallet.
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/4267962062.html
Powermatic ,$1,100.00

Anthony Diodati
01-19-2014, 11:26 AM

How old is your DJ 20? I know of one for around $900.00 with mobile base, from around 1999 he said.
EDIT actually it's from early 90's.
What is better, a Used Powermatic Model 60 8" Jointer, Yellow Era, or a Used DJ 20 from early 90's.
They want $1100.00 for the Used Powermatic Model 60 8" Jointer. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/4267962062.html

Anthony,

There is a one-phase Wallace from you less than half the distance for $400 offering price, likely sell for $300. It's a much better unit than the one he's trying to pilfer. If the wife wouldn't start eviction proceedings, it would be in our garage.
Did you ever talk to this guy? The shorter beds might be the ticket for my cracker box size shop.
He will not return my e mails.

Anthony Diodati
01-25-2014, 8:31 PM
there is this one looks nice, but I think $850.00 is too high,
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/4304804913.html