PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt RAS horizontal adjustment

Frank Gilbert
01-01-2010, 9:14 PM
The saw I have is a 1953 MBC and I am using the John Eakes guide. John's instructions call for loosening the three allen screws at the back of the motor housing and the deal is I am making the adjustment as instructed moving the bottom screw, however, the blade is not moving. I am afraid to go very far here as according to Wally Kunkel's book the allen screws can break. I am sensing something wrong here as I expected the blade to move on the fourth or even 6th turn. Anyone who has done this may ease my mind that more turns are ok. That or I am missing a step. Any help appreciated as I am about at the end of my minor restoration of the saw and anxious to actually cut something.

Arthur Travers
01-01-2010, 10:53 PM
do not understand? Horizontial to what? Table, blade etal.
I have 925 Dewalt and had reconditioned at model 1030 which is sold. I have instructions, adjustments manual. If you like I can fax them to you. I am sure they are similar for your DW.
Art

Frank Gilbert
01-01-2010, 11:01 PM
However, I have the manuel and it says nothing about the blade horizontal adjustment. I actually have three books plus the manuel and think I need a word from someone who has done this. My adjustment is not moving the blade.
Thanks again Art.

Ed Jolin
01-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi Frank -
I have done this - though there are likely others here (or at owwm.org) with more expertise. It's basically a 3 point positioning system.

When I look at the back of the carriage of my 7790 (or gwi), the three allen screws position what is essentially the axis perpendicular to the motor. As I adjust those screws, you can physically see that cylinder moving (and therefore the blade). I'm assuming your blade is in the horizontal position, right? In that case, if you've turned the bottom screw 5 or 6 full turns, it sounds like something is not quite right (unless it is not yet touching the center cylinder). As I recall, it was a very sensitive adjustment. I never backed all the screws completely off, however. I would loosen the top two maybe 1/2 turn, then gently tighten the bottom, which would raise the back of the motor. Repeat until the blade was horizontal to the table.

The Mr. Sawdust book shows/describes the adjustment. (maybe that's one of the books you have?)

PM me if I'm not making sense.

Frank Gilbert
01-02-2010, 8:26 AM
This is disturbing as what you say exactly describes my procedure and yes I am using Mr. Sawdust along with the John Eakes book. When I turn the bottom screw the blade is not moving as I expected so perhaps I should try and return settings to original and start over. Maybe that I backed off the top screws too far the first try.
I realize you suggested a private message. Not sure how to do that.
Thanks much. Frank

Frank Gilbert
01-02-2010, 8:55 AM
I loosened the top two screws a three or four turns and then tried to adjust by backing instead of tightening the bottom screw. Mr. Sawdust warns against breaking the allen screws and that is a dismal prospect.
Should I try going back to the original setting for a new start?

For anyone interested in more information on Radial Arm Saws, Amazon.com has the book "Easy Ways to Expert Woodworking" by Robert Scharff. Used version 8.00 including shipping. 190 pages. Chapter 15 includes complete plans for two Radial Arm Saw workbenches including cut list.

Frank