PDA

View Full Version : New Router Table

Matt Meiser
01-01-2010, 6:12 PM
I used to have a router table but sold it when I downsized a bunch of equipment in my shop. The old one was basically a New Yankee router table with an old style Rockler top and fence that left a lot to be desired. I moved my router into my TS extension table which has been OK, but occasionally created conflicts when I needed to change setups to cut or route. After borrowing a friends dual-router table with lifts, I became hooked and decided to get a good quality fence, lift, and high-powered router. At first I was going to put it in my extension table, but decided that the separate table was the way to go. This is the result.

I didn't want on-board bit storage because I store my bits in a cabinet my grandfather built, in which I added some removable shelves with holes for the bits. I did want to maximize drawer space to try to get my dovetail jig and coping sled in. I was able to squeeze in a third drawer for router table accessories. The space under the router is basicall dead-space but with dividers I could make it usable if I found a use. I also wanted it to be mobile.

I used the following components:
- Pinnacle (Woodpecker) PRL-V2 lift
- Porter Cable 7518 motor
- Pinnacle (Woodpecker) table (a pretty good deal when you figure the price of the hardware and hassle of routing the recess precisely.)
- Woodpecker fence system
- Rockler power switch

The wheels are built right into the base on one end. The other end just has adjustable feet. I plan to build a machine-moving handle like some of the euro machines use for this and some of my other equipment.

The carcase itself is just prefinished maple ply leftover from doing kitchen cabinets. 1 full sheet plus a bunch of off cuts. I just edgebanded any visible edges.

Peter Pedisich
01-01-2010, 6:20 PM
Matt,

Looks like you got it all right with this one! looks great. Dust collection, mobile, great storage...

Thanks for sharing.

Pete

doug faist
01-01-2010, 6:22 PM
Let me be the first to say "Nice Job!" How do you like the fence system?

Doug

OK, so I'll be second.

Mike Zilis
01-01-2010, 6:44 PM
Gorgeous! That's one of the nicest RTs I've seen. The design and assembly looks first rate.

One question: Do you have any concerns about air flow in the router chamber while the dust collector is on? It looks like you're counting on the hole in table insert to supply air to the router. Often I see holes in the enclosed chamber for make up air. I don't know if that is an unnecessary feature or not.

Great job.

-Mike

Stephen Edwards
01-01-2010, 7:07 PM
Very nice table! I, too, am curious to know if you like the fence. On my RT, the fence is the weak link at this point.

Another question: Where did you get the hardware for your wide bench vise that I see in the background of one of the pics. I like that vise and your bench, too!

Matt Meiser
01-01-2010, 8:37 PM
How do you like the fence system?

I, too, am curious to know if you like the fence.

It looks really nice, as does everything I've seen from Woodpecker. Since I just finished it up this afternoon and then started cleaning the shop to prepare to help another creeker out with a welding project, I haven't even tried it out. I'm not too into the really fancy fence systems, but this one is strong, easy to adjust, and has adjustments to square it to the table.

Gorgeous! That's one of the nicest RTs I've seen. The design and assembly looks first rate.

It must look nicer in the photos than real life. Its nothing spectacular construction wise--butt joints, through screws, etc. But at this point I had a pretty good idea what I wanted out of a router table if I was going to have a stand-alone one so there really are no compromises in the design in my mind.

One question: Do you have any concerns about air flow in the router chamber while the dust collector is on? It looks like you're counting on the hole in table insert to supply air to the router. Often I see holes in the enclosed chamber for make up air. I don't know if that is an unnecessary feature or not.

I may need to add some make-up holes in the door. Easy to add them later, harder to take them out. :D

Another question: Where did you get the hardware for your wide bench vise that I see in the background of one of the pics. I like that vise and your bench, too!

Its just a pair of Lee Valley tail vise screws (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=41664&cat=1,41659,41662). They aren't connected like a Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen twin-screw though I had an idea on how to do it with a couple bike sprockets. I really haven't found it to be all that necessary. There's a thread with more photos here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=92731).

Brian Effinger
01-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Very nice, Matt. So are you going to keep the old router in the table saw extension, so you'll have dual routers?

Matt Meiser
01-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes I am. I won't use it much, but its already there.

glenn bradley
01-01-2010, 11:02 PM
That one really came together. Nice job. I really like the integrated wheels.

scott vroom
01-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Matt, you mentioned you used the Woodpecker's fence system. Checking the Woodpecker's web site, I see only the Super Fence, which looks different than your fence. Could you elaborate on the Woodpecker fence model number/name?

Thanks!

You've inspired my son and I to build our own cabinet stand. Beautiful work!

Matt Meiser
01-19-2010, 7:24 AM
The fence I used is the LE fence: http://www.woodpeck.com/lefence.html

scott vroom
01-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks Matt, I overlooked that one on the Woodpecker's site. What were your considerations when choosing the fence? The LE looks to be a more basic fence with fewer features than the Super Fence. Did you come to the conclusion that you'd never need the added features?

Scott

Matt Meiser
01-19-2010, 2:19 PM
Yes--I pretty much wanted a basic fence. To me, most of them have way too much and are therefore way overpriced. That said, I've never had anything but a basic fence.

scott vroom
01-25-2010, 9:57 PM
Matt, if it's not to much trouble would you mind sending the exterior H/W/D measurements of your router cabinet? Also, what is the height of the router table surface from the floor? What type of wheels are those? They look cool....puts the cabinet real close to the ground. If you had to do it over, would you change your design or dimensions? How deep are your drawers including the height of the opening for the motor?

Thanks-
Scott

Neil Brooks
01-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Form follows function.

It really looks great. I bet it functions at least that well.

Very nice job!

Darren Vass
01-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Matt,

Great Job. Looks very professional. I am curious to know how the dust collection works. I placed my duct on the bottom of the box and you placed your on the back. When I used mine, I found some dust coating the walls. This was MDF.

Darren

Chris Tsutsui
01-26-2010, 4:57 AM
Nice RT. I've seen some of your other work and always look for the "engineering" thought put into your shop work.

I have a custom RT myself and when I run dust collection, there's not enough air flow through the top where the bit is so it makes a loud whistle noise.

To fix this I prop the door open slightly and it's not as loud.

If you want to reduce noise further, you can glue some insulation foam or similar material to the inner walls of the router enclosure.

John Grounds
01-26-2010, 8:17 AM
puts the cabinet real close to the ground. If you had to do it over, would you change your design or dimensions?Scott

Maybe a toe kick? I would be all over that one without it.:)

John

Matt Meiser
01-26-2010, 9:38 AM
I didn't do a toe kick because there's a decent overhang on the top.

Scott, I'll try to get out later today and get some dimensions, but basically I copied the overall dimensions of the Woodpecker steel stand, using their highest height.

The wheels came from McMaster Carr and ride on a 1/2" steel rod axle.

I sized the bottom drawer to be just tall enough to house the DT jig, the top to be just deep enough to house the insert rings, and used what was left for the middle. The router compartment is just tall enough so the motor just clears the floor at the lowest setting of the lift. At that setting, its basically unusable anyway because no router bit is that long so in reality the router will sit a couple inches off the floor.

I still haven't gotten a chance to try it out. January's been a busy month!

BOB OLINGER
01-26-2010, 9:55 AM
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the posting on the router table. A router table is high on my list, and this will really help. I notice you have 2 dust ports - one in back of the fence that is part of the purchased fence system; another lower built into the back of the table. Do you envision using both simultaneously? Thanks, again.

Matt Meiser
01-26-2010, 10:12 AM
A lot of people hook both up. I'll probably wait and see because my experience has generally been that only one or the other does anything of any significance and it depends on the cut being made.

scott vroom
03-04-2010, 2:24 AM
Matt, how did you attach the top to the stand carcass?

Thx

Jeff Sudmeier
03-04-2010, 7:21 AM
Looks very nice and I am jealous of the clean shop... Mines SOO dirty right now :(

Matt Meiser
03-04-2010, 7:32 AM
Mine's not clean right now!

Scott, I just used some heavy L brackets from the hardware store.

Matt Meiser
03-07-2010, 2:29 PM
I finally got this thing mobilized.

I modified my jointer's mobile base to use the same machine mover, and the base I'm making for my planer will as well. Its a lot more gentle than the kickstand-type wheels and much easier to use than the type where you have to bend over and screw down a foot.