PDA

View Full Version : Step Stool/Chair for Grand Nephew

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2010, 6:06 PM
I have been making these little step stool/chairs for all the grandkids but this one is for my grand nephew Alois. Alois won’t be 2 until the end of May but I am sure he will enjoy his own chair!

Curly Maple, approximately 12 ½” high by 11” wide x 11” deep and has multiple thin coats of gloss wipe-on poly.

136875 136876 136877 136885

Sorry about the photos as this is a little bigger than the turnings I normally photograph!

As always, comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Ted Calver
01-01-2010, 6:16 PM
Steve,
This will be treasured and passed down...there's room for another couple of names :) Very nice!! Are you thinking of getting a bigger photo tent?

Jerry Bruette
01-01-2010, 6:18 PM
Steve

Nice looking stool for your Grand Nephew. I have a similar plan I'm going to make for my Grand Daughter this coming spring when it warms up a little.

Jerry

David Christopher
01-01-2010, 6:55 PM
Steve, how did you make those flat pieces with your lathe..LOL..........that is a great little that Im sure he will charish

Baxter Smith
01-01-2010, 7:18 PM
Looks good and I'm sure he will like it. All those things he's not supposed to get into will now be within reach!;)

John Thompson
01-01-2010, 7:18 PM
After the thread by Cody C. I read this morning Steve... I am a little leary of telling you that is a "nice" little project for your grand nephew as someone might determine I am not sincere. But.. I'm going to tell you anyway.. NICE little project for your grand nephew and I am sure the other grand-kids are proud of theirs also. :)

Sincerely...

Chris S Anderson
01-01-2010, 7:34 PM
Alois?

Very nice piece. That one slat is beautiful piece of maple. How did you engrave it? I have never done any, and when I do, I'd like it to look like that.

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone - I do appreciate it!

John - I always ask for comments, opinions and/or critiques and am fairly thick skinned when it comes to opinions. I hope the critique guidelines help folks when they respond to a post.

Chris - Yup, his name is Alois. First time I had ever heard the name but found out he was named after her grandfather.

The engraving was done freehand with a dremel tool. Must be an easier and cleaner way to do it - but you work with the tools you have.

John Keeton
01-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Steve, I like the convertible design, and the construction is clean, with no sharp edges and certainly is kid friendly!! Curly maple is one of my favorites, and that is some very nice wood!

You should come to the flat side more often!!

Jim Becker
01-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Nice work, Steve!

gary Zimmel
01-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Nice simple chair that Alois will enjoy Steve.
But what happens as they get older?

You may have to get into production mode with chairs that are a bit higher....
Nice to see you post a project on this side of the pond.

Tony De Masi
01-02-2010, 5:08 PM
Nice piece Steve. Kind of wierd seeing you on this forum though:D

Tony