PDA

View Full Version : Basics to start turning?

Lewis Ehrhardt
01-01-2010, 6:01 PM
My wife and I want to do some turning. I'm thinking we would want a mid-sized lathe. Space and price are an issue in our purchase.

What lathe do you guys recommend for us?
And what book would you recommend?
Thanks Lewis

Bill Sherman
01-01-2010, 6:29 PM
I would look at the new Delta 46-460 midi lathe. The Richard Raffan books are good. Good luck..... the vortex is strong....

Bill

Robert Snowden
01-01-2010, 6:35 PM
It is a great hobby will consume all your time and money.LOL Enjoy and have fun.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2010, 6:47 PM
One book I'd recommend is "Woodturning- A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley.

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2010, 6:48 PM
I would also recommend the Delta 46-460. Also +1 on Keith Rowley's "Woodturning-A Foundation Course" is a excellent starter book and DVD. If you think bowls then Bill Grumbines DVD "Turned Bowls Made Easy".

Roger Wilson
01-01-2010, 7:21 PM
My wife and I want to do some turning...

Give the learning curve some time (about a year) and I think you'll both find that turning is quite a nice hobby.

Before spending money goto YouTube.com and search for "Woodturning" and "Jet Tools". Jet has a series of videos on the basics. There are a great many other videos. Watch them and get a sense of what's going on before laying out cash for a lathe and tools.

I think you'll find DVDs more helpful than books as techniques are difficult to show with static pictures.

You will also need more then a lathe. You'll need turning tools (Penn State Industries and Harbor Freight have sets at reasonable prices); probably a chuck (Nova Precision Midi is good); some sort of dust mask (3M 7500 series is cheap); a face shield and over time more.

Search this forum as well, there are lots of threads on buying lathes, tools, dust collection.

Also save pictures of turning projects you like and you'll build up a personal collection of forms, colors, woods that appeal to you and will inspire your own projects as you move along.

As you go along post pictures, there are a lot of very accomplished turners on this forum and they'll give you a hand.

Good Luck.

Joe Herrmann
01-01-2010, 8:38 PM
I'd also suggest that you find a local turning club. Most have tutors and "learn to turn" classes that are free. A couple of hours spent with a qualified instructor will make the learning curve much shorter. You also might want to consider taking a class from a well known turner and there are many schools that offer classes around the country. I've been to a number of them and the instruction is invaluable. Books and videos are fine, but you will learn more, faster from a live instructor than you ever will from videos and books.

Good luck--the vortex is strong.

Joe

Robert Arrowood
01-01-2010, 9:21 PM
Lewis you might want to check and see if there are any turning clubs in your area.Most will let you VISIT at least once.Make friends with someone.Mabe they will let you try it out.

The lathe is the LEAST of your worries.It's all the extras that add up.

David E Keller
01-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Get ready for the vortex...

I've used the Rikon midi from woodcraft, and I've had good luck with it. If the budget allows, get something with variable speed especially if you're looking a bowls. Woodcraft has a pinnacle starter set that's pretty decent. If you are gonna stick with pens, stoppers, and spindle work you can pass on the chuck for now, but you'll probably want one eventually. I've got a Talon that has performed well but it was a little pricy.

Ditto the local woodturning club advice although I don't have one available to me. I did take a class at Woodcraft that was pretty helpful. You might also check with turning clubs or watch craigslist for used lathes and turning tools.

Happy turning

Allen Neighbors
01-02-2010, 3:59 PM
All good advice.
So I'll just add this: Get two lathes. It'll save a lot of heartburn. :D