PDA

View Full Version : A wood vent and a question

Jeff Cord
01-01-2010, 4:24 PM
I'm ready to start building a real woodworking bench to replace the "do it all" bench I built 10 years ago so I've started looking at wood.

I've been to all Borg's in my area (both orange and blue) as well as 6 to 8 lumber yards looking at 2 x 12 Doug Fir (that's what have here in So Cal).

Anyways, I cannot find a single piece of any length that is not filled with knots!!! :mad:
AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

OK, vent over.

I have a question about the knots.
In looking at these boards they appear to be from very small trees.
On a 12" wide board I can see the center of the tree in the middle of the board and by each edge the grain is vertical and there are knots everywhere.
Does this indicate the trees were a bit over 12" when they were cut down since I can see both "edges" of the tree? :confused:

The best wood I found was KD fir at one yard selling for $3.25 a foot and even that had a lot of knots.

thanks.
Jeff

Jim Koepke
01-01-2010, 4:34 PM
As early Americans cut down forests, many were not replanted. Old growth is almost all gone.

Here in the north west, there are some who rent out their land to big lumber companies to grow trees. At about 12 inch diameter, trees can be cut to make, paper, framing lumber, facia and pieces for molding.

Sadly, some of our politicians think it is better to clear cut forests and sell the lumber off shore so we get cheap wood products in return.

You may want to cut on either side of the center pith. If my memory is working, wood is more likely to warp along the pith line.

I have been thinking of building a bench out of framing 2X4s. It may take some time to collect a batch of good ones.

jim

harry strasil
01-01-2010, 4:35 PM
FWIW, check around for an old house, barn, or building being torn down. Lots better lumber than you will ever find new and its dry and aged already, just let it acclimate to your shop for about a week before using, Stickered of course about every 2 feet making sure the stickers are right above each other. and you may end up getting the material free for the hauling off, may be a few nails to pull tho.

harry strasil
01-01-2010, 4:40 PM
Look for floor joists especially. they are the best material usually, old timers were picky about the joists. And, I recommend the Handy man metal detector from Eagle America, it will go off on my wedding band thru a 4 by 4 on the high setting, if you are gonna used reclaimed (salvaged Lumber) which is what I use almost exclusively.

James Scheffler
01-01-2010, 4:43 PM
I'm ready to start building a real woodworking bench to replace the "do it all" bench I built 10 years ago so I've started looking at wood.

I've been to all Borg's in my area (both orange and blue) as well as 6 to 8 lumber yards looking at 2 x 12 Doug Fir (that's what have here in So Cal).

Anyways, I cannot find a single piece of any length that is not filled with knots!!! :mad:
AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

I made my bench top out of Doug fir 2x4s. There were a lot of knots in the lumber. It's to be expected. I was able to make a bench top with no loose knots on the upper surface by careful selection.. I had to accept some solid knots, however. They don't affect the performance, but I admit it looks nicer to have clear wood on the working surface. You might be able to do better by ripping the 2x12s into thirds and laminating them. However, it's inevitable that you'll have to waste some wood to avoid knots. Doug fir is cheap at least.

Jim

art san jr
01-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Over here in So. Fla. we use SYP, 2x12 or 2X10 to build a bench. It does require multiple visits to HD or Lowes to choose/select decent lumber. Take your time, go thru the pile. The associates sometimes assist. It helps if one 'repacks' the wood on the shelves, the associates do notice and appreciate.

Art.

James Taglienti
01-01-2010, 10:14 PM
i would find a local sawmill and see what they've got to offer.

Joel Goodman
01-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Why look for lumber at the Borg?

Jeff Cord
01-02-2010, 1:41 AM
Regarding the comments/questions:

Harry, I could kick myself. I just had a friend tear down a house last summer and didn't even think to ask about looking through the wood.

Joel, the Borg is just one of the places I looked. In addition to 2 blue and 2 orange borg locations I've also looked at 5 lumber yards in the area.

Art, I figure I'll drag SWMBO around to the different locations rummaging through the stacks until I get enough decent wood. Hopefully with the 9 locations I be able to get enough wood.

Jeff

Jamie Buxton
01-02-2010, 1:53 AM
A small warning...

Construction lumber like 2x12s are typically sold green in California. As the wood dries, your bench top is going to shrink and warp. Expect to have to reflatten it a couple times. Even "KD" in construction lumber means that it has been dried to 19%. It will eventually reach 8-10% in your shop, which means that even this material will shrink as it dries.

Clear doug fir costs something like $8 per bdft in my area. It'd be a much better choice to use ash. It costs something like $3 per bd ft, and it is kiln dried to cabinetmakers' standards -- 8-10%. It is also heavier than fir, which should be a benefit in a bench.

Joel Goodman
01-02-2010, 2:25 AM
Why look for lumber at the Borg?

I think I could have been more helpful. I see you are in the LA area. I've heard good things about Bohnhoff Lumber, although I haven't used them myself. House of Hardwood is a bit pricey but also has various woods -- might be worth a call to each to see about ash or whatever you decide on.