PDA

View Full Version : Wife Gloat - PIC

Ted Shrader
10-13-2004, 1:39 PM
All -

This last weekend my wife acquired a Delta 1642 lathe from the local Woodcraft. It was a demo (about six months) and was a verrrry good price. She made quite a bit of sawdust practicing over the weekend.

I was allowed to assemble it and have a total of about 30 seconds time on it with a tool in my hand. It went like this . . . . She, "How do I . . . ?"
Me, "Let me show you."
She, "NO! Tell me."
"OK, do this...."
Repeat several times for different questions.

I did finally get my hands on a gouge for a little bit before being hip-checked off the machine. It sure is quiet and smooth. Not a Oneway, but certainly sufficient for our . . . um, I mean - her use.

Ted

Pictures:
Standing guard during assembly and in use for the first walnut "toothpick".

Tyler Howell
10-13-2004, 2:00 PM
Power tools are a woman's best friend! And don't forget it.:p

Michael Ballent
10-13-2004, 2:04 PM
That ROCKS!!! Gotta love it when your wife starts to get into WW. It opens up the WW budget :D

John Miliunas
10-13-2004, 2:35 PM
"I did finally get my hands on a gouge for a little bit before being hip-checked off the machine." LOL! :D That's great! Hmmmm...Not really sure if you're "lucky" or not! :eek: Still, I think that's pretty cool! Hope yo....errrrrr....I mean...Hope SHE enjoys it! :D :cool:

Bob Winkler
10-13-2004, 2:54 PM
Ted, you're a lucky guy- even if you can't use HER lathe.

Bob

Jason Tuinstra
10-13-2004, 2:56 PM
Ted, good for you and your wife! Glad she's having such a great experience with it.

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 3:03 PM
Now there is a fine-looking piece! The lathe ain't half-bad neither! ;) :D :D

Gary Max
10-13-2004, 3:49 PM
That ROCKS!!! Gotta love it when your wife starts to get into WW. It opens up the WW budget :D
Yah right----now you have to buy tools for two people.
------------wife has to be watched carefully in hardware stores.
------------and we do not even want to talk about who gets the best wood in the pile

Michael Stafford
10-13-2004, 4:01 PM
Oh Ted I see a new bandsaw, a new low speed 8" grinder with Wolverine attachments, a Tormek and many other tools in the tea leaves. Unfortunately they are for SWMBO :eek: . The only thing you're gonna be running is the vacuum and the dishwasher :p :p :p

She'll love you for your support. :D

Jim Becker
10-13-2004, 4:11 PM
I can see it now...Ted will be sneaking down to the shop in the middle of the night to get some "safe" lathe time...of course, the door to the house will strangely be locked hehind him and he'll end up curling up in the shavings to stay warm...:D

Ted Shrader
10-13-2004, 4:16 PM
Oh Ted I see a new bandsaw, a new low speed 8" grinder with Wolverine attachments, a Tormek and many other tools in the tea leaves. Unfortunately they are for SWMBO :eek: . The only thing you're gonna be running is the vacuum and the dishwasher :p :p :p

She'll love you for your support. :D

Michael -

Purchased at the same time as the lathe were gouge and scraper attachements for my Tormek. They work great, by the way. The freehand edges that I had on them before cut, but not nearly as well as after the Tormek treatment.

Vacuum . . . hmmmm . . . Let me translate that as "Dust Collector". Yeah, that's it! :D :) :D

Ted

Ken Fitzgerald
10-13-2004, 11:05 PM
Ted....you dog.....You purposely stood there long enough...knowing you'd be hip checked! Congrats on your wife and to your wife!

Dan Gill
10-14-2004, 8:54 AM
I did finally get my hands on a gouge for a little bit before being hip-checked off the machine.

Great to have her involved in your hobby. As for the hip-checking - I feel your pain. I used to play indoor co-ed soccer, and every woman I played against felt it was her right to hip-check. Note that it is against the rules in soccer - except that women get away with it. They also get away with scratching; I used to come out of games with gouges in my sides. But it was still fun. :D

larry merlau
10-14-2004, 10:33 AM
good girl mrs ted now you can show the rest of us how to make the wood turn instead of as the world turns :D good thriftyness there and ted you should just give her your wish list to get the best deals she can find. that way the savngs she finds will reflect in more tools. :D

Steve Roxberg
10-14-2004, 2:04 PM
I would advise her to remove the ring and other jewerly before turning. You don't want the finger torn off it the ring catches.

Ralph Morris
10-14-2004, 11:35 PM
It doesn't look like she is making a rolling pin for her or his cooking...I see it as a club.... (Better watch yur head...) Ha:p

Ted Shrader
10-15-2004, 12:55 PM
I would advise her to remove the ring and other jewerly before turning. You don't want the finger torn off it the ring catches.

Steve -

You are absolutely right. She also now has a full face shield and a leather apron.

Ted

Jerry Olexa
10-17-2004, 4:11 PM
Now that we've established the WW pecking order in your house, We can do pics of you (for Tyler) sneaking in @ 1AM to do some solo turning...:)