PDA

View Full Version : Problem with rough turning bowl blanks

Richard Golde
01-01-2010, 1:44 PM
I am a new turner, as you will soon find out, and have a problem with rough turning the outside of a bowl blank to true it up. I am getting a catch where the end grain meets the side grain and results in a chunk of wood chipping out. Any ideas on whats wrong or how I should be positioning the bowl gouge and what size and style is best?

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2010, 1:47 PM
Richard - Welcome to the Creek! A little more info and a photo or 2 would really help us provide some actions for you to take.

Such as, type of wood, gouge used, size of blank, direction of cut, etc.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2010, 1:50 PM
Richard....Welcome to the Creek!

Boy....that's a problem. My first advice to everyone is to get your hands on Bill Grumbine's first DVD.."Turned Bowls Made Easy".

I had the idiot turners here ( I use the term idiot affectionately) push me into turning by sending me a lathe, tools and wood. The nearest turning club is 110 miles away so I had to learn to turn on my own.

I bought Grumbine's 1st DVD and it did wonders for me. In it Bill demonstrates proper technique.

The two biggest reasons for catches....dull tools and improper technique.

Good luck with your turning endeavors!

Kyle Iwamoto
01-01-2010, 7:27 PM
Without pics, I would second a dull tool. Second would be too slow lathe speed.

I also second Bills DVD....... Opened a new world for me.

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2010, 7:50 PM
I have to agree with Ken. Oh don't get me wrong not on the idiot part.:D;):rolleyes::cool:

I am guessing it is a dull tool and improper tool presentation. Bill Grumbines DVD would be a excellent choice. He shows you several cuts and how to present the tool in a clear, concise manner.

David E Keller
01-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Agree with the others... Probably more tool presentation than dull tool but neither is helpful. Grumbine's video is a good one.

Baxter Smith
01-01-2010, 10:57 PM
That sounds like me! Just started with bowls as well. Will second the Grumbine DVD. It helps but there are still plenty of things that I try to copy that don't seem to work - then suddenly 2 or 3 bowls later - seem to click!
The problem you describe ended up being fixed for me by changing the angle of the cutting edge and taking shallower passes.

Thomas Canfield
01-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Richard,

I think that the previous threads give you good advise in checking sharpness, speed, and cut depth. I roughed out some blanks a couple of days ago and found that the green wood turned so easy that it was easy to forget to sharpen, increase speed as balance would allow, and reduce the depth of cut to improve the cut and reduce removing chunks. It does give a sense of power to see the big ribbons flowing off the green wood. I have shower curtains around my lathe to try to keep the chips confined, but ended up throwing many over the 6' wall from being too agressive.

Jeff Nicol
01-02-2010, 6:45 AM
Richard, Well I see you must have your new shop up and running with the lathe finally set up! I know it is -11 right now here but stop over and I will help you out or I will come see your new shop the give you some insight into things.

Jeff

Tony De Masi
01-02-2010, 9:48 AM
Richard, I would also agreee with the suggestion already made. I would also jump at the offer made by Jeff. Nothing like a hands on lesson or two.

Tony

DON PENCIL
01-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Every rookie turner I have ever worked with did not use the tool properly and did not have a proper sharpener.
Go with the suggestions above and get a wolverine immediately if you do not have such a device.

Richard Golde
01-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Jeff, thanks for the offer and I will be in touch. Being a lefty makes you look at things a little differently. I realized I was using the tip of the tool on the unround side of the blank that was in front of me and as offset came around it took a pretty good bite. Too big it appears. Lessons learned.
Richard