PDA

View Full Version : Do not try this at home.-Lathe

Gary Max
10-13-2004, 1:23 PM
Let me start by telling you not to try this. This hunk of tree is 10 1/2 inches Square and is way to big for my little Delta 46-715. I will have to start at one end and work my way across the log because it will not even clear the tool rest.This is going to take a couple of days to get done because I have several other things going on at the same time. Just in case you are curious this will be the pedestal for a fern stand. The top and bottom will be made out of Cedar.

Ted Shrader
10-13-2004, 1:44 PM
Gary

Not over working it a bit, are you? :) :p :)

Ted

Jim Becker
10-13-2004, 2:06 PM
Gary, be careful. The size and weight of that blank may require slower speeds than your lathe can deliver. And be sure to get several hundred pounds of sand bags on the base of your machine to help keep it "near" one place. If you know someone locally that has a larger, heavier lathe, see if you can at least smooth this out on that machine before proceeding. My safety bells are ringing loudly...and I appologize if I'm shouting too loud on this, but...

Gary Max
10-13-2004, 3:37 PM
Jim ----------the trick is weight.
That is Kentucky Coffee Wood.
Verrrrrry light

Anthony Yakonick
10-13-2004, 5:52 PM
That is so wrong! :confused:

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-13-2004, 6:19 PM
Not to wish nuttin bad on ya Gary............but better you than me! :eek:

Just get some weight on the lathe, like Jim mentioned and above all else...................BE CAREFUL! :)

Bob Smalser
10-13-2004, 6:23 PM
That piece have the pith in it?

If so, what did you do to prevent it from cracking.

Jack Hogoboom
10-13-2004, 6:26 PM
How the heck do you turn it down if you can't use the tool rest? Are you using the lathe bed to ground your tools? Looks pretty funky to me.

Jack

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 6:44 PM
I'd wrestle it through the bandsaw and remove as much meat as possible. Scary stuff...please do be careful....

Gary Max
10-13-2004, 6:57 PM
Sorry if I caused you folks any worry----I do this all the time.
Since I am useing it as a pedestal I am not concerned about what I do to the ends. There are 8 ----four inch screws through the face plate. The live center has been replaced with a very heavy live center.
I worked a little overtime tonight to show you how it turns out.
Still a lot of sanding to do.

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 7:00 PM
Very cool, Gary! Is this coffee-wood pretty stable? I like the little character there (bark inclusion?) in the bottom pic.

Gary Max
10-13-2004, 7:01 PM
How the heck do you turn it down if you can't use the tool rest? Are you using the lathe bed to ground your tools? Looks pretty funky to me.

Jack
Jack I am just starting at one end and remove enough for the rest to travel.

Gary Max
10-13-2004, 7:09 PM
Chris --it is so punky that I would almost not call it wood. It is the unofflicial state tree of Kentucky. This tree fell over down the road from my house and I thought I would put it to use. ain't any good for fire wood. I turned a few bowls but did not like them. This monster will be the best thing I have made out of Kentucky Coffee Wood. I did turn a lamp the came out nice

Steve Clardy
10-13-2004, 8:37 PM
Reminds me of the time about fifteen years ago I came home to the shop to find this huge mess in my old shop.:rolleyes:
Seems a buddy of mine came over to borrow the lathe, to turn a vessel from a chunk of walnut about as big as yours, but shorter. It vibrated so bad there was stuff that fell off the upper shelves,:eek: [I had the lathe mounted to a wall bench], and He had broken the 12" tool rest off at the round post.:eek::eek:
Seems He caught the gouge when He was attempting to round it up.
He later had the rest fixed for me, and came over with it to turn some more. I politely told him the motor was fried, and no longer worked.:(
He ended up buying his own lathe.:D

Bob Smalser
10-13-2004, 9:11 PM
Here's an alternative to safely turn something down without a tool rest.

For a hunk that big, just make a bigger box and use a #8.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/5424116/69402415.jpg

Bruce Page
10-13-2004, 9:26 PM
Here's an alternative to safely turn something down without a tool rest.

For a hunk that big, just make a bigger box and a #8.

Neander AND electron burning, ingenious!

John Miliunas
10-13-2004, 9:35 PM
Neander AND electron burning, ingenious!

Hey Bruce, NOT just a lathe, either. I see a BS peeking out in the upper half of that pic! :D :cool:

Bob Smalser
10-13-2004, 9:53 PM
Like that, huh? ;)

More conundrums 'tween 19th and 21st Century:

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/4775424/60398418.jpg

Luv that 14V itty-bitty circular saw.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/5424116/69403671.jpg

(Woodie plane mouths are typically renewed by chiseling out a square mortise for a patch.)

Keith Christopher
10-13-2004, 10:23 PM
first thing that came to mind seeing that honkin big log on the lathe was I sure hope he has a free standing toolrest. :) oh and it's bolted to the floor.

I love that planer-er-lathe-er-smoothin. ... ahhh forget it. very clever indeed.

Keith

Gary Max
10-21-2004, 7:21 PM
The Fren stand is built.
It went to the finishing shop today.
The top and bottom are Cedar wrapped with walnut.
I even used Cedar dowel pins in the walnut skirting.
This will take about 7 to 10 days to get the finish done.
It will get two coats per day.

John Miliunas
10-21-2004, 9:05 PM
Hey Gary, do you spray, brush or wipe the finish on? And, what are you going to use for the finish? :cool:

Gary Max
10-21-2004, 9:18 PM
John---I cheat.

The wife gets the honor of doing all our finish work.
She does it all by hand with a brush---sand between coats--another coat.
And this goes on until she is happy with it
We use a Marine Grade polly---cedar is fussy about what will stick.

Gary