PDA

View Full Version : What did you acomplish in 2009?

Shawn Pixley
01-01-2010, 12:13 PM
As I reflected on the year last night (prompted by a glass of the brown barley), I found I accomplished much more than I though in 2009.

What did you accomplish - woodworking or otherwise?

John Shuk
01-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I returned to college. I didn't do very much math in High school and I managed to cover about 4 years of HS math up to Trig and Quadratic equations in about 4 months.
Not terribly easy for me. Three young boys, a house, and working more than full time. I got through with an A+ in a summer math class, a C in the fall semester, and a B+(89.9 arrggh) in computer applications.
I'm happy with that.
Now looking forward to the Spring semester.

Shawn Pixley
01-01-2010, 12:58 PM
No that's something to be proud of!

keith ouellette
01-01-2010, 7:14 PM
I have to be honest. I didn't accomplish one single notable thing. Other than the usual day to day grind unless you count building a rocking chair or something like that but I don't feel that is much of an accomplishment for the ages.

Todd Trebuna
01-01-2010, 7:35 PM
I served the Lord and parented and husbanded. Those were the most important things. I went into prison twice and introduced 80 inmates to Christ.
In between, I made a REAL workbench, complete with front and tail vises. I made gifts that demonstrated my hobby.
Next year, I plan to really make alot of stuff.
Oh, and hopefully start seminary. :)

scott spencer
01-01-2010, 7:50 PM
"I served the Lord and parented and husbanded."

....it's the simple things in life that count the most! :)

I like to think I did the simple things to the best of my ability, and on top of that I installed a gas fireplace from the ground up and stayed within budget.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/fireplaces/Fireplaceupdates028-2.jpg

Chris S Anderson
01-01-2010, 7:55 PM
I finished one more grad class in January.
I got married in April.
I built my first desk in May (soon to replaced with a second desk with hand cut joinery).
I taught chess to 15 inner city kids and started a chess team at my school.
I read Pillars of the Earth.
I gave up gambling.
I put in a new ceramic floor and a new ceiling with crown molding and recessed lighting in my kitchen.
I made my first 2 end-grain butcher blocks.
I fixed that annoying scraping sound the ceiling fan in the bedroom was making.
I made a really pretty coat hook for my daughter out of bloodwood and walnut.
Being a double income home, I am now able to save a lot of money, so I spent a lot at Lie Nielsen...which will really benefit my grandchildren when they come along, so I'm sure my wife would agree with my purchases if she knew.
I took 2 woodworking classes at Woodcraft.
I hung my best friends plasma tv on New Year's Eve, so it made the cut.

Hmmm. Glad you asked for it. I feel good now.

David Freed
01-01-2010, 8:49 PM
I went from the worst job in my 35 years of employment to the best. The place where I work now employs 150 people with virtually no turnover. Retirement and medical problems are the only reason anyone leaves.

Matt Meiser
01-01-2010, 9:02 PM
Woodworking-wise, I built an entertainment center, remodeled a bathroom, including a new vanity, a few small gift-type projects, and ...uhhh....oh yeah, a kitchen for my parents. Woodworking-wise that is definitely my accomplishment of the decade, maybe century. :D I also removed two walls in our house to open up our family room, dining room, and kitchen at my wife's insistence against my objection (there were 4 receptacles and 6 three-way switches in one) which was very worthwhile.

At work, I did some pretty cool, high profile projects.

Personally, I finally got the courage to get the CPAP machine my doctor has been on me to get for something like 8 years. It was kind of a rough road from agreeing to do it to actually getting it due to some "pre-requisites" but I wish I'd done it 8 years ago. I also decided to take the plunge and do something about my crooked smile and got braces 2 weeks before my 37th birthday. Hopefully I'll be done with them in time for my 39th birthday.

Pat Germain
01-01-2010, 9:07 PM
Managed to stay employed while many of my coworkers got the axe. :eek:

Improved my relationship with my adult daughter. We've always had a good relationship. But there's always room for improvement.

Made a lot of small shop imrovements: insulated, finished the walls with OSB. Rearranged and reorganized (again and again).

Built multiple shadow boxes for retiring military members I work with.

Also made a US Army Air Defense Artillery symbol from maple for a retired Major I know. I work with his sweetheart and she asked me to make it. She was thrilled at the result and paid me well, so I'd call that an accomplishment. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2010, 9:42 PM
In 2009 I introduced 2 Creekers to turning, remodeled a bathroom and managed to hang on to my job after another RIF.

Brian Effinger
01-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Well let's see...

I helped Ken introduce one of those 2 creekers to the turning vortex. :D

I started my own business after getting layed off in '08. Residential architectural design. It started off slow at the beginning of the year, but it did pick up before the winter lull set in. I'm hoping next year will be great, and not just "getting by" like this year was.

I lost 30 pounds, and got stronger. Fortunately the working out hasn't affected my turning muscle too much! ;) At least not yet.

I turned my first real bowl, and several more.

Oh! And my wife didn't kill me! :D
In case you're wondering, that is an accomplishment, because since I am working from home, there have been a few (ok, more than a few) times when my wife got home from work at 3pm and I was still in sweat pants and a tee shirt (my pj's). She seemed less than thrilled by that. :)

Matt Meiser
01-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Brian, That's my standard work-wear. Lot cheaper than when I used to work in an office. Of course in the summer I switch to shorts. :D

Brian Kent
01-01-2010, 10:47 PM
I met Sam Maloof, Ron Brese and Sam Layton.

Doesn't get any better than that.

Shawn Pixley
01-02-2010, 10:42 AM
The response has left me a bit overwhelmed. I was fishing for woodworking progress and the discussion got elevated to a higher plane. Following that logic , I offer:

Tore up my knee and went through rehabilitation - Played soccer again six months later
Became a cancer survivor
Worked hard to be a better Husband and Father
Took a new role at work - this re-energized me
Fished hard and often - took my father out 6 times in 10 days (he loved it - maybe the highlight of my year)
Became county 9-ball champion

In 2009 I advanced my woodworking (previously focused on home repair and modification but had always wanted to build more furniture)

Re-faced bar, built entertainment center, built sideboard / buffet, under bed storage, floating walnuts shelves, router table / storage, workbench, and new front gate.

So to you and yours my thoughts are these: reflect on where you have been, focus on what you would like to become, and enjoy the journey

Bob Borzelleri
01-02-2010, 11:14 AM
I retired (again).

Shawn Pixley
01-02-2010, 12:09 PM
I think of that often. I thought I wanted a career, it turns out what I really wanted was a paycheck

John Lohmann
01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Got old had rotator cuff surgery,six months into recovery & only need six more. I still can't lift a gallon of milk.

Joe Pelonio
01-02-2010, 1:55 PM
Considering the economy I think my biggest achievement was getting a good job with great benefits back in May when my business had taken a
severe hit. Being the only person there doing the critical work I do helps with the security.

When it comes to woodworking and other crafts/hobbies I hit an all time low, since I'm now working full time and running the business evenings and weekends, with little time left for other pursuits.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-02-2010, 4:20 PM
I worked harder than I've ever worked on my job, and I don't know if it is going to be enough. The extra work hurt my family and me, which leads me to my New Year's resolution, never again will I put work over family. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I could be living in a box and I'd still have my family for crying out loud, as long as I'm doing my part.

Stupid economy. I'm really glad to see 2009 be gone. Hope 2010 is better. Yea right.

Pat Germain
01-02-2010, 4:39 PM
^^ Excellent point, Steve. Having served in the military and now supporting the military, I see a lot of people who work ridiculous hours. They also take themselves way too seriously. Certainly, much of what the military does is serious business. But nobody is irreplaceable. Most people just let these die-hards fall on their swords. "Fine, you stay all weekend and review the slides even though they're perfect as they are. I'll see you on Monday."

Sadly, these people who work so hard are seldom rewarded for their efforts. They often end up divorced or just stay single and lonely. Which makes them spend even more time at work.

I can't imagine anyone at the end of life looking back and thinkging. "Boy, I'm sure glad I spent all those days reviewing slides and pouring over spreadsheets. I really made a difference." :rolleyes:

Shawn Pixley
01-02-2010, 6:46 PM
So true, one of the main reason I like this woodworking thing is that in the past I struggled mightily with work-life balance.