PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection for DeWalt 12" Sliding CMS

Bret Champoux
10-13-2004, 1:17 PM
I have the above saw that I'm attempting to get at least decent dust collection for. The little "sock" Dewalt provides is lacking. I've looked at building a box behind it like I've seen around, but the box would have to be too big in order to allow the full range of motion (ie slide in and out, miter back and forth, and bevel back and forth. I was talking to a Dewalt rep that said there are some aftermarket solutions available, but he couldn't point me in the right direction. Anyone have any ideas on improving the dust collection for this saw or maybe a location for the after market solutions the rep was mentioning?

Bret Champoux
Victoria, BC.

Dave Bartley
10-13-2004, 2:06 PM
I have the same CMS. My solution was to go to the local Auto parts store. I bought a 16" radiator hose and clamped it in place of the dust sock. When I use the saw, I fit the end of the shop vac into the radiator hose.

Works very well for me.

H.R. Shadow
10-13-2004, 2:07 PM
I just got one of these last weekend.
go to downdrafter.com & check it out
or look for my earlier post re: huge small gloat I stuck a picture there.

Jamie Buxton
10-13-2004, 2:13 PM
Bret --

Dust collection on a SCMS is darn difficult. The sawdust production point can be darn near anyplace, and aimed in almost any direction. The best solution I've seen so far has two parts.

First, replace the OEM bag with a vacuum or DC hose. This catches more sawdust than you'd expect, and particularly seems to catch the fine stuff that floats in the air for a long time. You might find that this is sufficient for you.

Second, rig a box or drape behind the SCMS, with a DC port at the bottom. That catches some more sawdust. The drape approach offers some flexibility, and lets you poke the enclosure without hitting a hard stop.

There was somebody who had an aftermarket solution, but it looked like too much bother to me. It was a big plastic hood fixed to the bench which kinda surrounded the rear of the saw. However, if you changed the miter angle on the saw very much you had to loosen clamps on the hood, and move it too.