PDA

View Full Version : "Easel" for Tiles

Steve Clarkson
01-01-2010, 10:33 AM
I was in a store recently that had small (6"x6") painted ceramic tiles for sale. They were nice, but what I noticed was how they were displayed.

See the attached picture (which is a view of the back of the tile) and I will try to describe how the "easel" or stand was made for them.

On the back of this 6"x6" tile was glued a piece of MDF approximately 5.5"x5.5" and at the bottom was a hole that was vector cut in the MDF. Inside that vector cut hole was a small rectangle piece of MDF that swings out to act as a stand. There was a very thin nail or pin that was inserted through the edge of the MDF up through the vector cut hole and the MDF rectangle that allowed the rectangle to pivot. One other thing you could do is add a hole or two in the MDF near the top to allow the tile to be hung on a nail.

It seemed like a simple yet ingenious way to display tiles to me.

Michael Hunter
01-01-2010, 5:58 PM
Thanks Steve - useful idea

Tom Bull
01-01-2010, 7:03 PM
Indeed, thanks. I would guess that there must be some clearance allowed between the MDF and the tile for this to work well. I think I would cut the hanging hole with a sawtooth top like the picture hanging dealy-dos to help it hang straight. (I tend to get nervous around pictures that are crooked.)

Jay Beller
01-05-2010, 8:58 AM
I've had good success with Easel Backs from National Artcraft. They can stand or hang. Perfect sizes for 6x6 tiles. Attach with adhesive (E6000) or heavy duty melted glue stick.

http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subcategory.asp?gid=7&cid=82&scid=1576

http://www.nationalartcraft.com/images/sub-1576-01.jpg

Martin Boekers
01-05-2010, 2:28 PM
Thanks Steve,

It's always nice to have a variety of ways to resolve issues.

I have a customer who like the wood plaques but wants them to sit upright on the table. After some thought the easiest way was to burn the plaque with the hanger (keyhole) at the bottom. Then I cut a piece of wood roughly 1x2x.25 and inserted it into the keyhole simple and easy!

Marty

Gary Hair
01-05-2010, 3:17 PM
Thanks Steve,

It's always nice to have a variety of ways to resolve issues.

I have a customer who like the wood plaques but wants them to sit upright on the table. After some thought the easiest way was to burn the plaque with the hanger (keyhole) at the bottom. Then I cut a piece of wood roughly 1x2x.25 and inserted it into the keyhole simple and easy!

Marty

Sort of a kickstand, if you will.

Great idea!

I also use easels from Gibson Holders - they are inexpensive and work really well. Add a dot com to the name and you're there.

Scott Balboa
01-06-2010, 1:32 PM
Thanks for the idea!