PDA

View Full Version : Another Bessey Gloat

Bob Winkler
10-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Thought I'd go to my local Big Orange Box store at lunch to kill the time. As is often the case they didn't have want I needed, but a quick tour of the tool corral yielded a pair of Bessey 51K's at $20 each, and 31K's at $15 each. Less than 50% of their original ticketed price.

It's a disease and I have it bad!:(

Bob

Scott Parks
10-13-2004, 12:51 PM
My local orange box store is closing out Jorgy's not Bessey's. They don't even carry Bessey's. I made an offer on the Jorgy's for less than the $25/$30 closeout prices, but no luck... They sold them all at that price anyway. Guess I'll have to check out other HD locations....

Bob Winkler
10-13-2004, 12:58 PM
My local orange box store is closing out Jorgy's not Bessey's. They don't even carry Bessey's. I made an offer on the Jorgy's for less than the $25/$30 closeout prices, but no luck... They sold them all at that price anyway. Guess I'll have to check out other HD locations....
This store had both. The Jorgy's weren't such a bargain, but were discounted. It's funny, but I don't think I ever paid full price for any clamp I own. In fact, I got the roll around metal clamp cart at a tag sale for $2. It still goes for big $$ at woodworking stores.

Tyler Howell
10-13-2004, 1:29 PM
This store had both. The Jorgy's weren't such a bargain, but were discounted. It's funny, but I don't think I ever paid full price for any clamp I own. In fact, I got the roll around metal clamp cart at a tag sale for $2. It still goes for big $$ at woodworking stores.Great Scores Bob,
Love them finds! Got one of my own last summar.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10942 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10942)
Looks like Irwin's the clamp of choise at the Local HD...... For now.:rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 1:36 PM
Sigh:

Location, location, timing, location.... :)

James Carmichael
10-13-2004, 2:15 PM

Are they actually closing out the Jorgys, or just on sale? I noticed only the 24 and 36" lengths on sale, the 48" was full price. Still kicking myself for not jumping on the Gross Stabils at AllPro, now they're sold out of all but the 12".

John Miliunas
10-13-2004, 2:23 PM
My local Orange is just plain old pitiful! :mad: They still have the two odd K-Body's there, that they had several months ago. Still have the "closeout" sticker at a whopping $5.00 discount! :eek: Like Chris P. said, "Location, location, timing, location...". In my case, it's mainly location! That's a great gloat, BTW! That rack gloat is even better! :D Good for you, Bob. :cool:

PS: Just checked and my 8 GS clamps from All Pro should be here Friday! All 46.3lbs. of them! :D

Bob Winkler
10-13-2004, 2:51 PM
Sigh:

Location, location, timing, location.... :)
Chris, you got that right. This isn't even the Orange Box closest to my house and which I frequent. It's close to work and I was just bored at lunch. I'm usually not so lucky.

This doesn't quite make up for my lost opportunity on the Delta planer at the local Blue Box, or paying full price for the Ridgid MSUV when they now go for $50 off. Bob

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 3:02 PM
I figure with all the shenanigans I pull to save money and keep what I have, I probably have lost just as much pulling the very same shenanigans!

I only hope that I'm at least even when I pass on.... :D

Donnie Raines
10-13-2004, 3:04 PM
I figure with all the shenanigans I pull to save money and keep what I have, I probably have lost just as much pulling the very same shenanigans!

I only hope that I'm at least even when I pass on.... :D
When that times comes, your family can sell off your "stuff" and go on vacation....... :rolleyes: :D

Jim Becker
10-13-2004, 5:13 PM
http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/25924.asp 24" K-body $27.99

It's not as good a price as above...but it's not a horrible price, either.

Scott Parks
10-13-2004, 10:10 PM
This doesn't quite make up for my lost opportunity on the Delta planer at the local Blue Box, or paying full price for the Ridgid MSUV when they now go for $50 off. Bob
Sorry guys, I don't intend on hijacking this thread, but since you commented....

Bob, The Delta planer is STILL AVAILABLE! I just got mine last week! I was shopping in Lowe's, and said "BTW, can you search for one of these Delta 22-580's?" Sure, no problem. Found one at a different store. THey called the other store and shipped it in for FREE! I spend a lot of time in Denver so they also searched Colorado. There are 2 in Grand Junction store, and 1 in Cheyanne, WY. Don't know if your local store would order in from that far away... But these planers are still out there!

Roger Kirkpatrick
10-13-2004, 10:38 PM
I found the same thing today. $20 for Bessey's. I had to buy all they had.
Do you know how heavy 6 - 50" Bessey's are? HEAVY!

John Miliunas
10-13-2004, 11:22 PM
I found the same thing today. $20 for Bessey's. I had to buy all they had.
Do you know how heavy 6 - 50" Bessey's are? HEAVY!

ENOUGH AWREADY! You guys are killin' me over here with these fantabulous deals at the orange borgs! :mad: We're deal-deprived up here! :( :cool:

Bob Winkler
10-14-2004, 7:54 AM
Sorry guys, I don't intend on hijacking this thread, but since you commented....

Bob, The Delta planer is STILL AVAILABLE! I just got mine last week! I was shopping in Lowe's, and said "BTW, can you search for one of these Delta 22-580's?" Sure, no problem. Found one at a different store. THey called the other store and shipped it in for FREE! I spend a lot of time in Denver so they also searched Colorado. There are 2 in Grand Junction store, and 1 in Cheyanne, WY. Don't know if your local store would order in from that far away... But these planers are still out there!
Stores must be more helpful out West. When I asked a few weeks ago, the reaction was "we are sold out and won't be getting any more". End of story. At least I picked up the Delta 12" CMS.

Bob

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 8:02 AM
Stores must be more helpful out West. When I asked a few weeks ago, the reaction was "we are sold out and won't be getting any more". End of story. At least I picked up the Delta 12" CMS.

Bob

"Helpful"??? :confused: Bob, I don't believe they have that particular word in their vocabulary at our HD! :mad: We have a Menard's (more local chain) here and, although there usually isn't quite the tool selection, they at least *attempt* to be more helpful. I've also noted that I've seen a lot of the same store associates for quite a long time! :) Kind of unusual for just about any larger retail operation. :cool:

Jim Fancher
10-14-2004, 10:18 AM
I've found that HD seems to hire pretty much anyone while Lowes seems to hire people that at the very least know a little about the area they work in. The guy I bought my water heater from at Lowes was a retired plumber.
Just an observation. :D

James Carmichael
10-14-2004, 11:31 AM
"Helpful"??? :confused: Bob, I don't believe they have that particular word in their vocabulary at our HD! :mad: We have a Menard's (more local chain) here and, although there usually isn't quite the tool selection, they at least *attempt* to be more helpful. I've also noted that I've seen a lot of the same store associates for quite a long time! :) Kind of unusual for just about any larger retail operation. :cool:

I try not to engage in too much BBB (Big-Box Bashing) because I figure service is the tradeoff for lower prices and I've almost completely outfitted my shop very inexpensively with closeouts for the Orange and Blue, BUT, Orange is extremly frustrating. For a retailer of their size who is basically dealing in volume, their automation stinks. The only way to find out if they have something is to drop everything and go to the store, you can't find out over they phone and trying to do so is an exercise in total frustration. They could easily list every item on their website (whether it's available in an area or not) with an item or sku so customers could call the store and have them look it up. It sure beats calling, getting transferred, holding interminably, then explaining to someone what you're looking for, being put back on hold while he searches the aisles, then being disconnected. This is my typical phone experience with HD.

OK, venting is over:-)

John Edwards
10-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Well this morning I called several HD`s in the area.
Everyone was sold out but one.

5 K31`s at $15.00 each. Yep, there gone now.

It may pay to make a few calls to see what might still be around.

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 1:41 PM
The only way to find out if they have something is to drop everything and go to the store, you can't find out over they phone and trying to do so is an exercise in total frustration.

:D :eek: :D LOL! No, I'm NOT laughing AT you, just about the situation. At MY particular HD, you can't even GO THERE and expect to get what you need. I forget exactly what it was, but I called the store and asked about a particular item they had on sale. The person put me on "hold" for just a little bit and came back on saying, "Yup, our inventory shows 17 of those in stock." Cool. I stop over there on my way home from work, go to the aisle where the item should be and find only a display unit. I round up a store staffer. They look it up and then I see this look of familiarity on their face. The guy says, "Yeah, you're the second one today looking for that. We have 16 of those, plus the display." Fine. I'll take one. "But, we can't find them.", he says! :mad: Blames it on the night crew, because, "...they're always putting stock away in the wrong location." Huh? "Always"??? Seems to me these people have a deep, deep management issue going on here! :cool:

Ken Leshner
10-14-2004, 5:54 PM
ENOUGH AWREADY! You guys are killin' me over here with these fantabulous deals at the orange borgs! :mad: We're deal-deprived up here! :( :cool:
Sorry John. My local HD had lots of Bessey's but at their original prices. On a hunch, I took one over for a price check, and what do you know? They were on close out. Got 4 40" and 2 51" for $88 bucks. Not bad.

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 8:41 PM
Sorry John. My local HD had lots of Bessey's but at their original prices. On a hunch, I took one over for a price check, and what do you know? They were on close out. Got 4 40" and 2 51" for $88 bucks. Not bad.

AHHHHHHHHH! Gag, gag, choke, cough, cough....I need air! (Gasp, ugh!) :eek: (Clenching chest now....) Oh no-o-o-o-o-o...This is the BIG one!Gag, gag, choke, cough, cough....I need air! (Fade to black...) :cool:

Jim Fancher
10-14-2004, 10:15 PM
I just got back from my local HD and they had zero Besseys. I'd love to get a few of these sometime this month. I have almost no clamps.

James Carmichael
10-14-2004, 10:51 PM

You guys are killing me. One local HD had 5 48" Besseys priced $40 each back on Labor Day, but management at this particular store is never willing to deal, I offered $150 for the lot and they passed. Of course, the next week the clamps were gone, so I guess they were smart.

James Carmichael
10-14-2004, 11:00 PM
:D :eek: :D LOL! At MY particular HD, you can't even GO THERE and expect to get what you need. ... Seems to me these people have a deep, deep management issue going on here! :cool:

I feel your pain, John. I am willing to forego some service in exchange for lower prices, but HD is not even setup to allow reasonable customer self-service. Even Harbor Freight manages to list everything they sell on a website or printed catalog. If you're looking for something and want to buy it locally, you just look it up, call the store, give them the item#, and they can tell you if they have it or not.

Ron Schweitzer
10-15-2004, 2:53 AM
We don't have a HD store within 300 miles from here, so if you got the good deal on clamps count yourself lucky and stop rubbing it in, ;) unless you are going to share with us unfortunates. I just wish Lowes, Menards or other local stores would have the same clearance (I have not even seen any Bessy clamps from any supplier around here).
Ron