PDA

View Full Version : Coffin Plane

George Bledsoe
10-13-2004, 12:14 PM
I am working on restoring a coffin plane of some sort after reading Bob's posting. I am at the point I need to glue a piece of beech to the sole. The problem is I don't have any beech and in my area I can't buy any beech. It is a beech of a problem. :eek: I only need a small amount but don't know of any place I can get it. Any suggestions I know I could use something else but then it would not match which I want

Tom LaRussa
10-13-2004, 5:00 PM
I am working on restoring a coffin plane of some sort after reading Bob's posting. I am at the point I need to glue a piece of beech to the sole. The problem is I don't have any beech and in my area I can't buy any beech. It is a beech of a problem. :eek: I only need a small amount but don't know of any place I can get it. Any suggestions I know I could use something else but then it would not match which I want
George, you could try these guys: http://advantagelumber.com/domestic.htm

I've never done business with them, so I don't vouch...

Michael Cody
10-13-2004, 7:26 PM
If you can't find any beech, I suggest IPE would be a better replacment and maybe easier to find. Much tuffer stuff, wears like iron, smooths up very nice.... that is what Steve Knight uses on a lot of his stuff by default.

Dan Moening
10-14-2004, 11:27 AM
George,

Have you tried <a href="http://www.woodfinder.com" target="_blank">Wood Finder</a>?

I haven't had much occasion to venture into the midwest so identifying Iowa, let allow narrowing down a single town as a point of reference is difficult for me. ;) I did a quick search and found only one place that "served Iowa and Illinois"...which may be too far away from SW Iowa for a Sunday drive.

There are quite a few lumberyards that will ship, but the cost may be prohibitive...Hearne Hardwoods gets good remarks from folks, though I've not used them.

Mike Weaver
10-14-2004, 5:56 PM
Personally, I'd try to find a suitably hard wood locally, but barring that...

I'll vouch for Hearne Hardwoods. My dad & I have bought from them several times and been completely satisfied every time.

-Mike