PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a tool rest

Jamie Straw
01-01-2010, 1:44 AM
How many of you have modified your tool rests? Bonnie Klein suggested we take a rod, make a flat edge, and JB Weld it to the stock tool rest so that we have a nice, smooth, but not "edgy" surface to ride on. Any other approaches? Recommendations, yea or nay?

I didn't take notes, so am not sure if this was for all rests, or just certain ones.

Richard Madison
01-01-2010, 1:52 AM
Lots of folks make their own tool rests. There are many situations where the 12" or 13" long rest that came with the lathe is inconvenient or impossible to use. But there are times when you want that loooong one, so don't cut it off. Just make a short one. Will want to use hardened drill rod to do Bonnie's mod.

Jamie Straw
01-01-2010, 2:09 AM
I was lucky, my lathe came with 3 different tool rests, and a local turning friend gave me a couple that he no longer needed.

Dan Forman
01-01-2010, 4:19 AM
I haven't modified any, but I have gotten a few new ones from about 2 1/2" to 9" long, all with the hardened rod on top, all shorter than the big 14" cast iron one that came with the lathe but is seldom used.

Dan

Robert Snowden
01-01-2010, 7:25 AM
I made mine out 1 1/4'' s.s. and have had no problem's with the hardness of the rod.You are not useing it for cutting.I can see no problem using tool steel,but it is not set in stone that you have to.happy new year

Matt Evans
01-01-2010, 3:12 PM
I am currently in the process of making a couple rests for my lathe to fix a few issues.

It could be technique , or just my lathe, but I find that the square bodied chisels will occasionally dig into my tool rest, so I end up being unable to make a smooth pass down the length of the work. I plan on using either a steel rod or pipe to get rid of the sharp corner on the rest, as I think that is part of the problem.

Also, I do spindle type turning mostly, so the shorter rests just aren't long enough. So, whatever one does, I would recommend a few different lengths, and make the tool rests out of something hard enough to hold up to your chisels.

Scott Hackler
01-01-2010, 3:44 PM
I wouldnt trust anything being bonded with JB Weld on a tool rest or anything on my lathe. Sounds pretty dangerous to me.

Tim Leiter
01-01-2010, 6:45 PM
+1 on the issue of using JB Weld. I wouldn't trust in that situation either. If you don't have a Mig Welder (or other type of welder), I would ask a friend or a shop to weld it on for you. That's what I did and have had no problems. I just would be afraid of the JB Weld breaking loose during a big catch. Just sayin'.

Jamie Straw
01-01-2010, 7:27 PM
+1 on the issue of using JB Weld. I wouldn't trust in that situation either. If you don't have a Mig Welder (or other type of welder), I would ask a friend or a shop to weld it on for you. That's what I did and have had no problems. I just would be afraid of the JB Weld breaking loose during a big catch. Just sayin'.

I thought it was JB Weld, perhaps a standard epoxy?? Couldn't swear to either one, but it wasn't welded-welded. Will have to ask Tom & Ray what they think!:D

Gordon Seto
01-01-2010, 9:26 PM
The Robust Comfort rest is the best tool rest. The hardened steel rod is epoxied and not welded. Brent English (owner of Robust) has posted what kind of epoxy before. I would suggest you model after them. I have the round tool rest from Best Wood Tools and Oneway; the Comfort Rest combined the best from both types. None of the two is bad, but this is just the next level.
http://www.turnrobust.com/Comfort_Tool_Rests.html

Allen Neighbors
01-01-2010, 9:37 PM
I wouldnt trust anything being bonded with JB Weld on a tool rest or anything on my lathe. Sounds pretty dangerous to me.
Scott, I used PC-7 to glue rod to the top edges of my Oneway rests. It's been about 3 years ago, and they're still working as I desired, and I've gotten more than a few exciting catches.:) PC-7 is about the same as J-B Weld. Just wanted you to know.

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2010, 9:41 PM
Jamie just look at the Robust tool rests. As Gordon said they are the best. I have several and they are top notch.

Jamie Straw
01-02-2010, 1:11 AM
Thanks Gordon and Bernie. Those look very well designed, will have to put them on the list of things to save up for.