PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 inch bandsaw blade with a kink

Dwain Lambrigger
12-31-2009, 6:54 PM
All,

I am working with a 1/4" bandsaw blade for the first time and I am finding that it has a pretty good kink in it. I am the kind of woodworking problem solver that ruins something to learn from it, so I am hoping to take advantage of some of your experience here... How do you get rid of that kink? I was thinking of using a piece of wood and hammer to straighten it out.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Willard
12-31-2009, 7:13 PM
Replace it. It's not worth the time or effort.

Carroll Courtney
12-31-2009, 7:28 PM
Even if you do get most of the kink out,it will not be the same.Your cool blocks will catch heck and the bottom blocks will catch grif.Running a blade w/just a slight kink will telegraph through your whole BS.Lesson Learn don't kink spring steel,carbon steel,blade---Carroll

Nathan Hawkes
12-31-2009, 7:46 PM
Ditto the other responses. Just be careful with blades. I use a lot of blades cutting blanks, and even a small kink--even a "fixed" one, makes an awful "BANG" every time it goes through the guides. Not worth the $15 to have it break on you; every time one breaks on me I get the pucker factor for sure....

Jeff Willard
12-31-2009, 8:24 PM
every time one breaks on me I get the pucker factor for sure....

And you will never get used to it :eek:.

Prashun Patel
12-31-2009, 8:33 PM
Man, I love this forum. The very same thing happened to me with a 1/2" blade. I've been trying like heck to get 'er to tame back into shape, but I get mean wobble. It aint worth the effort.

Dwain Lambrigger
01-01-2010, 1:37 AM
Well, not what I wanted to hear, but I may just invest in a Timberwolf blade. Salesman at Woodcraft said it was a completly different experience working with a TW than the Olsen I was using.

Really appreciate the replies.

Happy New Year.