PDA

View Full Version : Questions about laminated MDF for Countertops.

Jose Luis
12-31-2009, 6:06 PM
Hi guys, i want to make 10 countertops for an friend. (as a gift).

I was thinking abt make it with MDF (stores here cut the MDF for small price) and then will finish it usign an router.

I want to get it looking as an hardwood material, i think that its named lamination.

I will appreciate any help abt how can i do that. i know that i can get at wood stores in my country, sheets of wood, that i can glue to the MDF to looks like hardwood!

Any tip will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Brian Peters
12-31-2009, 7:02 PM
I think what you're talking about is veneering built up MDF? Although I'm a bit confused on what you are talking about.

Victor Robinson
12-31-2009, 7:05 PM
Do you feel confident veneering (the large sheets you're talking about) such large surface areas? As I found myself a while back, veneering large surfaces can be difficult without LOTS of clamps or a vacuum bag, and even then you might end with unglued areas that will bubble and look terrible!

How large are the countertops you want to make?

I recommend getting plywood in the wood species you want (cost will probably be a little more expensive than MDF + veneer but not by that much). Then glue hardwood strips 1/2"-1" thick to the edges - you can router those with the profile of your choice. Routing MDF wouldn't look good since your edge wouldn't look like wood.

Jose Luis
01-01-2010, 1:55 AM
Yeah, im talking abt veneering.

I was thinking abt purchase some MDF that already come with 1 layer of wood. then i just need to make the sides.

Jose Luis
01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Do you feel confident veneering (the large sheets you're talking about) such large surface areas? As I found myself a while back, veneering large surfaces can be difficult without LOTS of clamps or a vacuum bag, and even then you might end with unglued areas that will bubble and look terrible!

How large are the countertops you want to make?

I recommend getting plywood in the wood species you want (cost will probably be a little more expensive than MDF + veneer but not by that much). Then glue hardwood strips 1/2"-1" thick to the edges - you can router those with the profile of your choice. Routing MDF wouldn't look good since your edge wouldn't look like wood.

oh, i think that its an good tip :) btw, the main problem is the corners of the countertop.

And here is a little expensive the plywood. i will try to find some videos or books, abt how finis the edges and corners, i really dont like the edges of the plywood either, here tha quality of plywood are very bad.