PDA

View Full Version : Rob Cosman at Woodcraft -- demos only?

Tom Henderson2
12-31-2009, 4:23 PM
Good afternoon.

Rob Cosman is coming to the Woodcraft near me (Ventura, CA) in April. He is holding 3 classes -- planes & sharpening, hand-cut M&T, and handcut Dovetails. All three classes are on the same day (April 10) and are ~3 hours long.

At first, I assumed these were hands-on classes. But reading the descriptions, it sounds like they are demos only.

Anybody take these before? Are they worth the cost or would I just be better off watching his DVD's?

Below find the class descriptions.

His DVD's are good, and I'd love to take a real class from him. But I'm wondering if just watching and asking questions is worth the cost.

So I'd love to hear from somebody that has taken one of these classes before.

-TH
Ventura, CA

Hand Plane & Sharpening with Rob Cosman
Tools Required:Pen & Paper
Description: Join noted hand tool expert Rob Cosman as he demonstrates how to reduce the sharpening time of a new plane blade from an hour to a minute. You'll also learn how to freehand sharpen without jigs, proper care of stones, feature comparison about different hand planes, and more. This is a "close-up" demo - you'll gather around Rob's workbench to watch and interact as we works.

Hand-Cut Mortise & Tenon with Rob Cosman
Description: Learn the "why and how" to cut this all-important joint; it's simpler than you might expect if you have the right tools. This is an essential joint that all fine woodworkers should master, especially when working with furniture. This is an "up close" demo-style class gathered around Rob's workbench.

Hand-Cut Dovetails with Rob Cosman
Description: Renowned "dovetail master" Rob Cosman will demonstrate how to easily and accurately measure and cut the classic dovetail joint - one of fine woodworkers' most popular joinery methods. You'll be amazed at how simple and fast Rob's technique is, and you'll go home armed with the knowledge and confidence to use it on your next project!

Jim Barrett
12-31-2009, 6:12 PM
I would think the major benefit of watching him demo is that you can ask questions...can't do that with a DVD...but then again you can watch the DVD over and over again.

Jim

Pam Niedermayer
12-31-2009, 7:53 PM
What is the cost? You'll have to decide if it's the right amount (ie too much to attract hundreds and too little to annoy you).

Pam

Rick Erickson
12-31-2009, 9:48 PM
I took the same classes at a Woodcraft in Atlanta and would say they are absolutely worth it. When I took them there was a second day where we did hand cut dovetails. I have all of his DVDs and watched them more than once before the class and I still learned a lot. I would say that the sharpening class alone is worth the admission. You will learn a whole lot more than what his DVD offers. He has 'updated' a few things in his teaching that aren't represented on the DVD.

Jim Barrett
12-31-2009, 11:10 PM
"He has 'updated' a few things in his teaching that aren't represented on the DVD"

Yep I learned that in Calgary...Rob is a Shapton advocate now...forget about your Norton's...$$$

Jim

Dave Beauchesne
12-31-2009, 11:38 PM
I attended the Vancouver wood show in October this year and spent an extra $15.00 to go to an ' extra ' speakers session that was supposed to be an hour long. Well, there were only 5 guys that ponied up the extra cash; Rob went on for nearly 2 hours and was fantastic! He let us cut, plane, basically do whatever we wanted.

I have seen his demos several times before at his booth; he is always more than willing to answer anything thrown at him, often gets audience members to step up and ' try this out ' - I agree, his videos are worth it; in person is even better.

Rob comes across a bit strong for some people, but, after all, he is good at what he does. He has great insight into what is going on ' out there ' tool wise - all in all, a great resource. Like Ron Hock, I have phoned to order things a couple times, Rob answers the phone himself.

If I lived near Calgary and had a week off, I would gladly come up with the grand for the 6 day dovetail clinic - - - - -

IMHO, pay the money, ask questions, and above all, listen; you won't be disappointed ( from my experience ).

Dave Beauchesne

Tom Henderson2
12-31-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks everyone -- especially Dave and Rick, for your sharing your first-person experiences.

Someday I'd love to take his classes up in Canada, but that is quite a ways to travel for me.

-TH

Rick Erickson
01-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Tom, maybe I'll see you in Calgary this year. I was scheduled to go last year but my work schedule forced the cancellation. I'm trying hard to make it this year.

Rob taught a 3-day hand tool class (making a shaker step stool) at the Atlanta Woodcraft and it was an unbelievable 3-days. It was basically an abbreviated version of his 5-day Calgary class. We paid for an 9am - 5pm experience and got an 8am - 10pm experience. He gave us all of his time and each night was willing to stay as long as we were. I don't know where he gets his staying power. At the end of each night I was mentally and physically spent but he never slowed down. I left at 10pm on the last night and he was still working with a few students on wrapping up their stool. Unbelievable.

Mike Brady
01-01-2010, 7:00 PM
Hey Jim:
You got that right. Seems like all of the hand tools mavens are on Shaptons. Oddly (or not) the straight razor guys are all over Nortons right now and dissing the Shaptons as being too sticky, different stones needed for different steels. etc. Sometimes I feel that we are being had by the prophets (or is it profits?) of tooldom. This stuff is crazy expensive, and about the time you get the kit together its on to the the next "best thing". I have come to believe you really have to strap your filter on when listening to an instructor who also can sell you a product.

Jim Barrett
01-01-2010, 7:08 PM
Mike,
You are right on about that. Before I went to Calgary I purchased a new Norton 1000 stone since that is what Rob uses on his DVD. So I brought with me (2) 1000's (1) 4000 and (1) 8000 Norton waterstone along with a DMT diamond plate. One of the first things Rob said was the DMT was not flat enough...I think there were about 17 students at the seminar and all of them ended up with Shapton's if they did not have them already myself included.
If I was to do it over again I would have passed on the Shaptons but I didn't so ...end of story!
I told Rob that he should change his list of tools to bring....remove the Norton's and replace with the Shaptons.

Jim

Jacob Mac
01-02-2010, 8:48 PM
Mike,
You are right on about that. Before I went to Calgary I purchased a new Norton 1000 stone since that is what Rob uses on his DVD. So I brought with me (2) 1000's (1) 4000 and (1) 8000 Norton waterstone along with a DMT diamond plate. One of the first things Rob said was the DMT was not flat enough...I think there were about 17 students at the seminar and all of them ended up with Shapton's if they did not have them already myself included.
If I was to do it over again I would have passed on the Shaptons but I didn't so ...end of story!
I told Rob that he should change his list of tools to bring....remove the Norton's and replace with the Shaptons.

Jim

What don't you like about them? Or is it just that they are not worth the trouble swapping out?

Jim Barrett
01-07-2010, 1:12 AM
Shaptons are fine they are just expensive especially when you add the diamond lapping plate...for my part time woodworking the Norton's work OK.

Jim