PDA

View Full Version : routers

Karl Card
12-31-2009, 4:09 PM
i am router poor but not a single one has a 1/2 inch collet. I am really looking at a pc 892 with the above table kit to adjust heighth. This i can get locally for 189 at the HD. I also see woodcraft has a triton for 179 but i am not familiar with triton and would like any feedback on a sub 200 dollar router with variable speed and the ability to adjust above table.
Feedback appreciated.

Glen Butler
12-31-2009, 4:34 PM
I purchased the 892 from home depot a few years ago. It received heavy use for the first couple years while I was framing, now I use it in my pro-lift. It was necessary to cut off the collet stop pin for accessing above the table. So make sure it fits your lift first or be prepared to modify the tool.

glenn bradley
12-31-2009, 4:35 PM
Dad has the Triton 2-1/4HP and likes it. I like it too when I use it while visiting. There is a short learning curve as it employs some controls we are not used to seeing but they don't really come into play in table use. You use the included crank to raise the motor all the way. This locks the collet and makes bit changes from above the table easy. One annoyance is a safety sliding cover for the power switch, something we do not usually see on small routers in the US.

P.s. the included dust shroud almost makes an under the table enclosure not necessary. Dad has a short whip of shop-vac hose hooked to it and this, along with his DC hooked to the fence, keeps things surprisingly clean.

Drew Loehr
12-31-2009, 6:59 PM
IMO the triton is the best router for a table.
Above the table adjustments work well. The collet automatically locks when raised all the way up for easy 1 wrench bit changes. The plunge spring comes out easily too.

The only thing I don't like about mine is that you have to slide a door out of the way before you can push the 'on' button.

Karl Card
12-31-2009, 7:51 PM
IMO the triton is the best router for a table.
Above the table adjustments work well. The collet automatically locks when raised all the way up for easy 1 wrench bit changes. The plunge spring comes out easily too.

The only thing I don't like about mine is that you have to slide a door out of the way before you can push the 'on' button.

does the door mechanism keep a person from pluging the router into the router table and using the switch on the front of my table?

Phillip Bogle
01-01-2010, 7:21 AM
It works fine the switch guard slides over and the rocker keeps the switch on. then the switch in front works. You have to release the works first before you change bits. I have come to love the one handed bit changing. Switch off, turn the handle to raise bit and it locks above the table. The collet is self locking, and only needs one wrench to change the self ejecting bit. You will like it.

scott spencer
01-01-2010, 10:21 AM
The Freud FT1700 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Freud_FT1700VCEK_2_1_4_Horsepower_Variable_Speed_F ixed_Base_Router/content_228357738116) is loaded with above table features. Many have above table height adjust, but that's it. The FT1700 also has above table height lock, an auto collet lock, and a spindle that protrudes above the table for easy one handed bit changes with a stock wrench while leaving the insert rings in place. It also has a 13 amp motor, soft start, and variable speed.

There just so happens to be a new FT1700 combo kit (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=128594) refurb in the SMC classifieds...$130 plus s/h.