PDA

View Full Version : Salad bowl set

Jim King
12-31-2009, 4:00 PM
I havenīt posted any turnings for some time so here is a salad bowl set I made some time ago that I forgot about until my wife just started polishing it for New Years Eve.

The big bowl is 13 inches x 5 1/2 inches and the small ones are 5 1/4 x 2 1/2.

The big one is a glue up of a bunch of scrap and the small ones are each a different species.

The second photo is a bowl of Black Agate and just a bit bigger.

John Keeton
12-31-2009, 4:23 PM
Jim, those are some beautiful woods in the smaller bowls, and that big bowl "glue up" sure has some interesting pattern! Not familiar with many exotics, but is Black Agate indigenous to Peru?

Jim King
12-31-2009, 4:38 PM
John:

Yes, Black Agate is native here. It and Orange Agate are both ringers for Cocobolo but unlike Cocobolo they cause no allergic reactions and they hold their color. Very color stable over the years.

The small bowls on the upper row next to the big bowl from left to right are Pink Flame, Orange Agate-wide band, Tigre Caspi , Pashaca negra, Dalmation and King wood.

The lower group from left to right are Orange Agate, Queenwood, Purple heart , Bloodwood, Huayruro and Chontaquiro.

These are all woods that I used to export to the States as turning blanks and lumber.

Greg Just
12-31-2009, 4:40 PM
Very nice Jim. I like that the bowls are all from different woods. Are they the same size and shape?

Jim King
12-31-2009, 4:45 PM
Greg:

They are as close to the same shape and size as these old eyes could get them.

25 years ago I lived in Fridley.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2009, 4:55 PM
Jim - very nice work as always! Love all the different woods! Sure makes for an interesting set!

John Keeton
12-31-2009, 5:36 PM
Jim, just went to your website - really neat!! I take it that you only sell direct to Woodcraft, and not to individual buyers?

Jim King
12-31-2009, 5:44 PM
John:

We retired about a year ago and are no longer exporting. I only know of one place that still has some of our wood up there as he took everything that was left when we retired. To export less than a 20 foot shipping container from here is just cost prohibitive.

Now I just set here in front of my computor like a toad all day and write about the wood industry in the Amazon. This being old and retired is not the best thing that can happen to a guy.

John Keeton
12-31-2009, 5:55 PM
This being old and retired is not the best thing that can happen to a guy.Jim, there are worse things - like NOT getting old!!:eek::D

I am still a few years away from being able to retire, but looking forward to it more everyday!!

Brian Effinger
12-31-2009, 5:56 PM
I'm envious - you get to play with all of the pretty wood. :)

Beautiful bowls, Jim.

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2009, 8:56 PM
Jim those are mighty fine looking salad bowls. Really like the big one.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-31-2009, 11:49 PM
Jim first off, a Happy and healthy New Year to you and your loved ones, Cheers ;)
And also thanks for showing your pictures of this candy-store like wood you were able to use and show to us, I do appreciate it :D, yes getting older over here also, just the way things are :mad:, but like John mentioned better then not :D :D