PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Link vector grid

Martin Boekers
12-31-2009, 3:52 PM
I came across this in my random journeys.

An interesting idea!

http://www.laser-links.net/

Marty

Dan Hintz
12-31-2009, 4:13 PM
One, the price is insane... $150 for a square foot of chain link? Considering it costs <$20 per square meter from China, someone's making a killing!

Two, how is that preventing reflection tick marks? If anything, it presents the possibility of tick marks every 1/4"! The whole idea of a vector/pin table is to reduce the surface area over which the laser can reflect after going through the material. A well-placed set of pins would reduce this to zero, but the next best thing is a standard honeycomb (at the expense of not being able to adjust where the supports touch). If the answer is to combine it with their "Links" (stainless bar), why not just buy the (dirt cheap) stainless bar in the first place... it's not like it prevents air flow.

Martin Boekers
12-31-2009, 5:11 PM
I though this may be an interesting idea and am sure "ingenious Creekers" could find a stainless mesh and rods quite a bit cheaper at a local supply house, if indeed this does work.

The photo shows that the rods set onto the mesh to raise the substrates off of it. I haven't experimented with this so it is just a theory if it can control flashback. If there is space between the chain and the substrate, the substrate is not sitting on the the chain as it does on a grid but on the rod which appears to have less contact and more air circulating around than a grid would have. I may be wrong this should help control the flashback as well as allowing the heat & fumes to dissapate faster than within the confines of the grid.

The main issue I see is it is recommended for lasers < 50watts.

Dan Hintz
12-31-2009, 7:38 PM
I guess my point was, why use the mesh at all, then? Why not use just the rods and a few pieces of double-sided sticky tape to keep them from rolling... all can be had for a few $s.

Steven Wallace
01-01-2010, 5:09 AM
Looks like something a knight would have worn in battle and stainless steel no less.

Roy Nicholson
01-01-2010, 7:36 AM
Could try using similar rods on an existing vector grid and see if any difference.

Regards

Roy N.