PDA

View Full Version : Your Oscar picks

Mitchell Andrus
12-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Year's over. My early picks:

Picture: The Hurt Locker

Actor: Morgan Freeman, Invictus. (Depp in Enemies a close second)

Actress: Merrill Streep, Julie, Julia. She's due

Supporting actor: Absolutely no do doubt in my mind, Christof Waltz, Inglorious Basterds (the really sleazy in 4 languages German). Paul Giamatti, The Last Station a close second.

Supporting actress: Michelle Williams, Shutter Island

Director: Michael Mann, Public Enemies. Not my best picture pick but every shot counts (despite a glaring error in editing a pivotal escape scene)

Avatar sweeps major technicals, of course.

Pat Germain
12-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Great picks, Mitchell. I think when we predict Oscars we must consider it's an insider's award for insiders. Internal and external politics have much influence here.

Therefore, I don't think "The Hurt Locker" stands a chance to win anything from the Academy. I don't think they're interested in accolades for anything related to Iraq.

I haven't seen "Julie Julia". I heard the performances are top notch. But sheesh, how many Oscars can one actress win? I'm thinking the Academy will look to a younger actress this go 'round. (Maybe even Amy Adams?)

I completely agree about Christoph Waltz. His character was nothing other than polite and pleasant through the entire film. Yet, that performance was downright scarey!

And I think Quentin Tarantino has a good chance for Best Director for the same film.