PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in the PM lathe...PIC

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2004, 1:37 AM
Well....even though I have a tough work schedule and I have several projects going on for other people in the shop......I have still managed to get in some turning time. I just can't seem to get enough lathe time to satisfy my hunger!!! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Kelly C. Hanna
10-13-2004, 2:32 AM
Nice pic Dennis! Looks like you are making a new floor cover for the shop. How's the new lathe doin' so far?

Norman Hitt
10-13-2004, 3:28 AM
Hey Dennis,
Just thought I'd mention that the shavings are supposed to be "Inside" the DC hose. Looks like you're gonna have to "steal some more time" for turning practice so you can get those shavings aimed right so they fly Into the hose. Nice machine, and I know you're gonna have a lot of fun working with it.

PS: When you figure out how to get tose shavings to fly into the DC hose, I wish you'd let me know the secret. I have found something that spreads chips even further than a lathe though, and that's using a 1/4" roundover bit on 6" PVC pipe without a DC or Vac running. (Don't ask how I know this)

Terry Quiram
10-13-2004, 7:05 AM
Dennis

Those shavings don't look like Oak. :D It wouldn't be some spalted Maple would it?

Terry

Michael Stafford
10-13-2004, 8:00 AM
Break in that bad boy gently Dennis. Make it obey and have fun... My dream lathe...

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2004, 9:06 AM
Break in that bad boy gently Dennis. Make it obey and have fun... My dream lathe...

Michael,

for the money? It's a very sweet lathe. You can spend more and get a bigger name brand like Oneway or Stubby or Woodfast, Nova.....but for me? The PM 3520a is plenty of lathe to master and has power to spare. The greatest thing is weight, stability and I can turn a chunk of wood at just a few RPM's....Remember, you can get one of these babies from GIS as a Scratch-N-Dent for about $1870.00 :D

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2004, 9:08 AM
Dennis

Those shavings don't look like Oak. :D It wouldn't be some spalted Maple would it?

Terry

Some maple, some Ash and some Walnut. I have several pieces of Very Dry walnut that Bobby Hatfield brought me a year to two ago. It was dry then and it's been in my shop under A/C and Heat since then. The stuff is Hard and Dusty. Oh Yea, there is some Cherry in there too. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Bob Hovde
10-13-2004, 9:10 AM
No fair! Mine is just sitting there, waiting for me to run a 220V line (But first, a new service from the house to the garage!)

Bob

Dick Parr
10-13-2004, 9:16 AM
Dennis, did ya turn it down to just shavings? :confused: Where is the piece that came off the lathe. :D

Jim Becker
10-13-2004, 9:31 AM
Dick, the turning is that little nub still on the headstock! Isn't is amazing what you can make out of a 20" log??? :D :D :D :D

Seriously, Dennis...do be sure to get your turning therapy often! Making piles of shavings is very good for the soul.

Tyler Howell
10-13-2004, 9:39 AM
Ahhhh The Gold Standard! Even looks good in a Spinny thing:cool: .

John Shuk
10-13-2004, 9:51 AM
.......How anybody could scratch or dent that beast is beyond me. That is definately the lathe in my future.

John Bush
10-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi Dennis,
That's a nice hunk of machinery! Is that what you turn all those pens on? Did the wax work out for you and how did you like the unmilled blocks. Looking forward to pics. Best wishes, John

Michael Stafford
10-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Dennis, GIS? Not familiar with the company. I would love to go Golden for under $2000. Yeah, like the other guys, that sure is a lot of shavings to just have that little weedpot to show for it. :p

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Hmm, speaking of walnut.... :D

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Hmm, speaking of walnut.... :D

I hear ya Chris...... :rolleyes: :D

It is actually shipping tomorrow when the LOML goes to town. It is packaged up and ready to go. You get to keep the T-Shirt it's wrapped up in. ;)

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2004, 1:00 PM
No fair! Mine is just sitting there, waiting for me to run a 220V line (But first, a new service from the house to the garage!)

Bob

Bob,

When I make it to Huntsville again, I'll come by there and we'll wire you up and get you going. Not a big deal at all. I just finished wiring Joe Meazle's shop this past weekend. :D

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2004, 1:03 PM
Dennis, did ya turn it down to just shavings? :confused: Where is the piece that came off the lathe. :D

Dick,

Some pieces are rough turned, sealed and drying at this moment. I'll post pics later this week of what I have already turned....just too many other projects going right now to spend much time with pics.

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2004, 1:05 PM
Hi Dennis,
That's a nice hunk of machinery! Is that what you turn all those pens on? Did the wax work out for you and how did you like the unmilled blocks. Looking forward to pics. Best wishes, John

John,

Got the wax....works GREAT.!!!! I have 3 items I'm shipping to you in return for the wax and wood. Let's just say that you'll have two items from the old barn in IL and one item from some Kingwood. ;) :D

Terry Hatfield
10-13-2004, 8:30 PM
d,

See...that's why I can't get into them stinkin' lathe thingy's. They is WAY to messy. :D

t

John Miliunas
10-13-2004, 9:37 PM
d,

See...that's why I can't get into them stinkin' lathe thingy's. They is WAY to messy. :D

t

That ain't nuthin', Terry! You oughta' see it when I do a run of toothpicks! :D

Dennis, glad to see you enjoying that wonderful spinny thing! Keep at it and to heck with the mess! :p :cool:

Keith Christopher
10-13-2004, 10:32 PM
funny thing is you see that little bowl on the lathe and all those shavings on the ground and I'm thinking you're turning and going

"Ok a little more off here and, aww crap. ok I'll make it a. . ."

"hmmm that doesn't look right I'll take a little more off here and. . . crap. . ."

turn, mistake, repeat. . . . :rolleyes:

the big log finally reveals what it was meant to be, a tiny little bowl. heheh.

but all seriousness, I love it. I am green with envy on that one. I get so little lathe time.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Hey Norm:

SINCE WHEN ARE THE CHIPS NOT SUPPOSED TO GO DOWN THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT............................EVEN WHEN IT'S A TIGHT NECKED T-SHIRT? :confused:

Just emptied my DC - 3/4 Full - came back and cleaned the floor - had to dump the bag again!

Then I dumped my shirt and had enough to mulch a tree. HeHe :D :D

After all that, Some Day, if I get a Big shop, I'd like to have a full sized lathe.

Be kind to it...................by using it often. Those chips are very comfortable on the feet! :cool:

Bruce ;)

Dennis Peacock
10-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Keith,

Your statements are true of most turners and me especially. :eek: :D
I even started a bowl once and it wound up being a "platter"!!!! :p :D

funny thing is you see that little bowl on the lathe and all those shavings on the ground and I'm thinking you're turning and going

"Ok a little more off here and, aww crap. ok I'll make it a. . ."

"hmmm that doesn't look right I'll take a little more off here and. . . crap. . ."

turn, mistake, repeat. . . . :rolleyes:

the big log finally reveals what it was meant to be, a tiny little bowl. heheh.

but all seriousness, I love it. I am green with envy on that one. I get so little lathe time.