PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Apple

Baxter Smith
12-31-2009, 1:41 AM
Just returned from Maine with some apple to try and turn. Cut the limbs off this yellow delicious 3 years ago. Left the trunk because I thought I might want to make a bowl someday! That time has arrived.

I also cut some dead limbs off a Wolf River and a King Tree. That may be a waste of time but there is only one way to find out for sure. Same is true for a couple of limbs from a yellow plum tree.

Put Anchorseal on everything the day after I cut it and hopefully that will last for a while. Time will tell I guess. I will try to rough as much out as possible over the next few days. (Or until I get tired of it!) Anchorseal it again and put it into paper bags. From what I have read here, results seem to be mixed at best!:) I am open to any and all suggestions. My experience with apple is limited to turning a top from a piece of firewood!

John Keeton
12-31-2009, 7:53 AM
Baxter, some of that wood looks really interesting! Beautiful scenery, BTW.

What are the Wolf River tree and the King tree? Not familiar with those names?

cody michael
12-31-2009, 8:04 AM
i turned a few apple bowls recently i just turned them thin and let warp. none cracked on me, apple is beautiful wood. but i wear a mask other it messes with my lungs. but that might just be a an allergy i have

Mauricio Ulloa
12-31-2009, 8:54 AM
Awesome! Enjoy your turning!

Scott Lux
12-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Apple is beautiful and fun. But as you know it really wants to crack. What's that sound? Oh, it's Baxter's logs splitting. :p

Enjoy it, it's my favorite wood to turn. Most people won't believe you when you tell then it's apple.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Baxter - congrats on all that beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

The prez of our turning club turns a lot of apple and the secret seems to be even thickness and controlled drying. He has a small closet that has a couple of 100 watt bulbs to gradually warm and move the air (convection). Sayes they are ready to finish in a month or so.

Terry Murphy
12-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Do you have enough Flat Rate boxes?

Baxter Smith
01-01-2010, 12:24 AM
John, The Wolf River and King are old/nonsupermarket varieties. My Dad planted lots of fruit trees and liked to graft on the wild appletrees as well. The Wolf River can be quite large and is great for baked apples. The King is just a different flavored eating apple and pretty good for pies and sauce.

Scott, the temperature is in the 40's and foggy so I didn't hear much cracking today!

Steve, did he anchorseal them before putting them in the closet or just raw? After I get a few turned, sealed and bagged I will probably try something shorter term as well.

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Congrats on some really nice looking wood. Hope to see some awesome turnings from it.

alex carey
01-01-2010, 6:41 AM
Thats some beautiful wood, good luck.

Nathan Hawkes
01-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Nice wood! That's definitely a good sized apple you have there. Like the other responses, seal that apple really quickly! Also, you probably know this already, but don't let the anchorseal freeze! It will be ruined. it separates and won't re-emulsify

Baxter Smith
01-01-2010, 1:02 PM
Thanks Nathan. It sat in a garage that got below freezing while in Maine but not long enough for it to freeze apparently because it is still ok. Thanks for the headsup!