PDA

View Full Version : Using Forstner bit on lathe

Chris Barnett
12-31-2009, 1:15 AM
Want to make a few round pen boxes, so thought I could use a @ inch forstner to drill the inside. Depth would be in excess of what I want to cut with a chisel. Is there a problem using a forstner in the tailstock, if only shallow cuts are made at moderate speed and shavings are removed after every cut? Have only used a forstner in dp in the past.
thanks
Chris

David Walser
12-31-2009, 1:38 AM
It's a very common technique. You should be fine as long as you use the appropriate feed rate and keep the chips from clogging the hole.

John Terefenko
12-31-2009, 2:01 AM
No problem at all. Low speed is the key. I use them for my ornaments all the time.

Dale Miner
12-31-2009, 8:54 AM
You may find that when withdrawing the bit, the drag of the shavings will unseat the chuck from the tailstock. To minimize this effect, use your free hand to pull back on the chuck while turning the tailstock handwheel with the other hand. This keeps some pressure pushing the taper into the tailstock quill, and helps keep the chuck from unseating.

Later,
Dale M

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Chris - you can do it - but I agree with John - low speed is the key. I learned the hard way that being aggressive and forcing the bit into the end grain only burns the wood and can trap the bit in the blank! Was a mess the first time but learned to slow things down and keep the shavings cleared!

Looking forward to seeing the pen boxes!

Wayne Kuhn
12-31-2009, 11:37 AM
You can also use a draw-bar in the tailstock to prevent the chuck from pulling out.
Asuming your chuck taper is threaded and you have a hollow tailstock.
My chuck taper is threaded with 1/4-20. I use a piece of all thread a washer and a wing nut. Works great.

Wayne Kuhn
12-31-2009, 11:55 AM
You can also use a draw-bar in the tailstock to prevent the chuck from pulling out.
Asuming your chuck taper is threaded and you have a hollow tailstock.
My chuck taper is threaded with 1/4-20. I use a piece of all thread a washer and a wing nut. Works great.

Drawbar only works in the headstock. Sorry

Bill Bolen
12-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Wayne you were right with your original post. Drawbar works in either end. I use one all the time to mount my articulated hollower in the tail stock and the occasional drill chuck...Bill..

Chris Barnett
01-01-2010, 1:07 PM
At Wayne's comment, was first elated, then deflated, then elated again with Bill's comment...I could just see that chuck coming out of the tailstock and causing a major problem. DW and DD avised me that they needed a place to store the pens that I had already made for them. After this little project, must get to the bowls...and learn how to do them. Have all the equipment, lathe chisels and chucks...all I need is some instruction. A bit concerned with catches...maybe their hazard is over emphasized :D . Just...got...to...do.......bowls....now.
Thanks for you advice; am looking forward to making a few pen holders. Now to find some wood that I don't mind wasting the innards; always a problem unless its firewood grade....even then firewood makes some nice stuff.
Happy New Year to all.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2010, 1:25 PM
Wayne you were right with your original post. Drawbar works in either end. I use one all the time to mount my articulated hollower in the tail stock and the occasional drill chuck...Bill..

One caution, if I may.......Don't try to use the handwheel to extend your tailstock quill while you have something held into the tailstock using a drawbar....You could do serious damage to the tailstock and/or quill mechanism!