PDA

View Full Version : Any Boston area WW shops?

Jerry Olexa
10-13-2004, 12:17 AM
I'll be in the N. Boston , Southern NH area as well as the Berkshires next week as part of my work. (yes, tho I'm retired I still do some "consulting" work ). Are there any Woodworking shops or related of interest in this general area? I'll have rental car and some free time. I leave Thursday AM. Town could be GLOOMY if Redsox continue to lose as they did tonight!! Thanks in advance.

Rich Konopka
10-13-2004, 6:54 AM
Jerry:

You will be just getting the tail end of Peak Colors for the leaf season. I was in Nashua NH this weekend and it was just starting to peak with the colors. If you head over to the Berkshires I would recommend the following:

Hancock Shaker Village http://www.hancockshakervillage.org/

Berkshire Veneer http://www.berkshireveneer.com/index.htm

The Berkshires are only a 2-2 1/2 hour drive from Boston on the Mass PIke I-90.

Enjoy.

fred woltersdorf
10-13-2004, 8:03 AM
theres a rockler's in salem,nh

Roger Myers
10-13-2004, 8:50 AM
Rockler's in Salem NH and another in Danvers Mass; Woodcraft in Woburn Mass and another in Newington NH (near Portsmouth); "Tools, Tools, Tools" in Manchester NH; Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood NH (Rte 125 - southern NH); PeabodyEssex Musuem in Salem Mass; several historic homes in the seacoast area of Mass and NH (http://www.historicnewengland.org); All Righteous Woods great selection of exotics and burls for turning (rte 1, north of Boston); several great woodworking schools, but most probably would be difficult to drop in on; any League of NH Craftsmen store will provide great inspiration (there is one on Concord NH and one in North Hampton NH); Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth NH; Canterbury Shaker Village in Canterbury NH (near Concord); I could keep going.....how much time do you have :)
Oh, and let's not forget Chester Toolworks - Dave Anderson's place! (although Dave. like many of us, also has a day job....)
Roger

Bob Hovde
10-13-2004, 9:06 AM
There's a Woodcraft store in Woburn, just north of Boston - on Montvale Ave just off I-93 going straight north out of town. I think there's one in West Springfield, also.

Bob

Dave Dionne
10-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Hi Jerry

There is a Rockler in Cambridge address below

Cambridge Store News
2154 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02140
Doug Larocque, Store Manager
Contact this store by email (store4@rockler.com) or phone: (617) 497-1136

A Woodcraft store in Newington NH about 1 hr north of Boston, the store is nice that is the store I visit the most it is about 15 minutes from my house. If you want to check out some history and great early craftsmenship check out Old Ironsides that ship never fails to amaze me.

I work about 25-30 minutes north of Boston and the foliage is perfect right now. We'll be out of town this weekend or I would invite you up for dinner. I would love to meet a fellow creeker. Enjoy your trip and even if the sox fail we still have the Pats.

Dave

Dan Stuewe
10-13-2004, 12:35 PM
I'll be in the area next week. My wife and I will be celebrating our 10th in Boston on the 22nd. Before that we'll be in Bar Harbor (still frustrated about not having time to go over to the Lie Nielsen factory), Halifax and St. John. Have a great time, we're sure looking forward to it!

Ellen Benkin
10-13-2004, 2:17 PM
The Lie Nielsen factory is not very close to Bar Harbor Maine-- at least two hours south. But if you are driving between northern Maine and Boston you will go right past it. Make sure you hit Warren during regular working days and hours -- M-F 8-5 because that's when the showroom is open.

Dan Stuewe
10-13-2004, 2:26 PM
We're taking a cruise so we won't be able to take those fun side trips. Oh well, God willing we'll be back someday and be able to do more off-the-beaten path adventures.

Kurt Aebi
10-13-2004, 3:20 PM
Dan,

If you are going to stop in Halifax, Nova Scotia - there is a Lee Valley store there! My wife stopped in there when she was on the 7-Day Royal Caribean cruise up there a few weeks ago.

Jerry Olexa
10-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks for your tips and guidance. My work schedule still a little sketchy but hope to take you up on some of your suggestions while there. Appreciate your info and kindness... Thanks Jerry