PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Chuck Oooops!

Dick Strauss
12-31-2009, 12:45 AM
What not to do when turning...
I was turning a very thin piece of box elder the other day. I had it finished except for the bottom. Once I got the bottom foot down to 1/16-1/32" thickness, the vacuum chuck sucked the bottom right out of the bowl while making a loud pop. Oooops there went the bottom foot! :o I later dropped it and broke the rim so it definitely wasn't meant to be!

Don't forget to leave a little extra meat when using a strong vacuum!

Jim Kountz
12-31-2009, 1:48 AM
Yep, Ive done this before. Im looking at a bowl right now that I did last year right after getting my vac system going. Turned the bottom a little thin and it cracked on me. I kept it anyway though!!

John Keeton
12-31-2009, 8:00 AM
I know nothing about vacuum chucks, but I wonder if it is possible to put some sort of support under the bowl to prevent this type of collapse? Seems like it could be a problem with anything very thin if the vacuum chuck is pulling a good pressure.

Jeff Nicol
12-31-2009, 8:06 AM
When turning bowls or anything, trying to get it thin all over will always create trouble. The bottom of a turning should be left a little thicker for stability as the added weight will do. So leave a little extra in the base and you should not have any more trouble.

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Dick - I feel your pain! I have turned thin enough that you can watch the bottom flex away from the gouge when finishing! I backed off the hg, sharpened the gouge and took some really light cuts! Worked for me but remember wondering if I was hallucinating when the bowl was flexing! Vacuum can be a powerful force!

Best of luck on your next one!

Dick Strauss
12-31-2009, 1:20 PM
I was just in too much of a hurry and forgot to measure the bottom thickness on the first one. I had a goal of finishing ten bowls that day! Thankfully the other 9 came out fine that day and were delivered to local hospice patients in time for Christmas.

Have a happy New Year!

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2009, 11:58 PM
I feel your pain Dick. When I want to turn them thin I use a donut chuck rather than a vacuum.