PDA

View Full Version : Any uses for a broken Ryoba blade?

Matt Lau
12-31-2009, 12:25 AM
I was looking at my broken Gyokucho Ryoba yesterday, and scratched my head.
My friend had borrowed it, and broke a couple teeth in a beer-fueled session to make cajons out of plywood.

Replacing the blade would be no problem, but I'd hate to waste a perfectly good piece of steel.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of simply cutting it up to make scrapers.

Tony Bilello
12-31-2009, 12:36 AM
If somebody broke my Gyokucho Ryoba I would break their freaking Kahagan with my Pergafram.

Jim Koepke
12-31-2009, 2:11 AM
I have had too many bad experiences with "other people's ideas" about borrowing tools.

I have a few beater tools just for loaning. As for my better tools, if they are not willing to leave me a deposit for more than the tool's value, they can take a hike. For my best friends, I will do the work for them before I let them borrow a good tool. I have seen too many "intelligent" people try to use a cast iron tool to pound in a nail. It is never, "gee, I guess I should have used a different tool," it is always, "I didn't think it would hurt a plane to drive a nail, isn't it made of iron?" And of course, they will never pay for the replacement. I have even worked with engineers that were this way.

jim

Jim Koepke
12-31-2009, 2:15 AM
Sorry, I got off on a rant and did not address your original question.

I have a few old Japanese pull saws that are starting to get worn out. I have thought of filing the teeth down and using them to make Western style back saws. Scrapers is also a good idea.

My tendency is to save just about everything. Eventually it will find a use even if it is just a shim under a motor mount.

jim

Bob Strawn
12-31-2009, 4:14 AM
Scrapers are always a good option. Try using it first though, a few missing teeth may not hurt the saws performance. You could always use it for practice sharpening as well.

Best of all, keep it as a charm of protection against further borrowing by the 'friend.' Drag it out regularly, it might teach him an ethic.

Bob

Pam Niedermayer
12-31-2009, 5:15 AM
I follow the reported practices of the Japanese: DON'T LEND YOUR TOOLS TO ANYONE! THEY ARE PRECIOUS AND YOURS.

However, you've already done it, so I'd also say keep using it, a couple of teeth here and there won't hurt your work. I have one ryoba that kept breaking, first teeth and then sections of the blade, but kept using it as it politely broke from the tip and left the rest perfectly handled. Eventually, even the stub broke. I still have all the sections, haven't found a use for them yet, but I fully expect to real soon now. :)

Pam

Richard Magbanua
12-31-2009, 10:25 AM
I've been wanting to use one to make a stair saw. Maybe an adjustable one to cut the sides of dadoes. I don't think I'll ever get around to it though. So, maybe you should do it so we can see if it'll work? :rolleyes:

Kari Hultman
12-31-2009, 7:04 PM
I'll throw scratch stock in the mix. Similar to scrapers, of course, but with prettier profiles. :o)

James Taglienti
12-31-2009, 7:27 PM
Try your hand at making a western dovetail saw... file some little teeth and fold a brass back on a strip of it... it would have a tiny kerf!

Randal Stevenson
12-31-2009, 8:15 PM
Besides the scrapers, it might depend on where the teeth are broken, missing. Have you ever wished you had a smaller saw (short exchangable blade)?

art san jr
01-02-2010, 7:37 PM
Hi Kari, nice to see you here. Not too late to say HAPPY NEW YEAR & ALL THE BEST.

Art.