PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Festool Gurus...

Scott Parks
10-12-2004, 11:56 PM
I've been doing a lot of sanding the last couple days.. I go out in the driveway, and close my garage doors, because I HATE DUST! I'm sure my neighbors hate me because there has been a cloud of maple dust around my house for 2 days...

Anyway, I was reading a magazine review the other day on RO sanders. They comented that the Festool sander had excellent dust collection and made no dust. Is this true? If this is the case, I think it would be money well spent. (have to shell out some green and get some green tools). I am ready to replace my vibrating sander with a random orbit sander. I'll have to order the Festool catalog. Is there anywhere that has Festool sanders to demo?

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2004, 1:35 AM
Scott,

There is a review of the ES125 on my personal web site if you want to see some pics and my findings on the ES125. I have since purchased the ES150/3 ROS and love them both. Get the Festool hose and if you can swing it, one of the vac's from Festool. I use a Shop-Vac Quiet Vac with mine and dust control has never been better. Quieter sanders, easier control, better sanding quality and a lot less vibration from sanding. A great way to go IMHO. Just holler at Bob Marino who will be glad to help you decide on the sander and setup you need. Bob posts here on SMC, so he shouldn't be too hard to find. :rolleyes: :D

Christian Aufreiter
10-13-2004, 5:03 AM
Hi Scott,

yes, it's true. I wouldn't hesitate to sand in the living room using my ES 150/3 and the vac.
Festool offers 4 different RO sanders:
- ES 125
- ETS 150/3
- ETS 150/5
- Rotex

I don't know which sander is the best one for your application but I'd recommend to contact Bob Marino.
The ETS and the ES sanders are equipped with a filter bag. This bag is quite good and already gets a lot of dust but hooked up to a vac there's really no dust.

Hope this helps,

Christian

Gary Max
10-13-2004, 7:09 AM
Scott you will like this-----Festool offers a 30 no questions asked money back warranty. You just ain't going to find a better sander---maybe a cheaper one but not better.

Todd Burch
10-13-2004, 8:36 AM
I HAVE sanded in my living room, and the living rooms of my clients.

My only beef is that the Festool Hose does not come with end caps. Every time I finish sanding and roll that stupid hose up, dust falls out (I think it sticks in the corrugations), and I have to plug the vac back in, final clean up (again), and get it out of the house before more dust drops out again. Pain in the hiney. I've asked several times for end caps. The vac has one, which I have, but none of the hoses do.

And maybe I've worn mine out, but I'm getting noticable vibration in my 150/3, which puts in on par with my PC 333VS in the vibration department.

Todd Burch
10-13-2004, 8:38 AM
Also, I've used my 150/3 with the bag, and the dust pickup is not near as good as it is with the vac. I would not sand in my living room with the bag.

Bob Marino
10-13-2004, 9:08 AM
Todd,

Give David McGibbon a call (after 8 AM PST) at Festool 800-554-8741 concerning the vibration.

Bob

Jim Becker
10-13-2004, 9:21 AM
They comented that the Festool sander had excellent dust collection and made no dust. Is this true?
Indubiatably. No dust. Almost no vibration...you can sand for hours without making your hands numb. The patented design of the hole patterns and other things are what makes the extraction so effective. If you can afford the package with the sander and the vac, it's a good combination. The CT22, with it's variable speed, allows you to make adjustments in air flow to optimize dust control. It's also very quiet as compared to most systems.

Scott Coffelt
10-13-2004, 9:33 AM
I can tell you that the dust collection from my ROS has never been better, but on top of that the sand paper life is at least doubled. I recently got the 150/3. Now I will tell you that my 333 hooked to the Mini-Fein worked pretty darn good, just not this good. Also I noticed more vibration then I was expecting, I still need to do a side by side comparison with the old 333. Even if the the vibration isn't up to me expectations, it far outweighs everything else. Very balanced, very comfortable and when I set it on the bench it doesn't want to tip over by the dust hose, finally great results. As far as sandpaper costs, it appears to be right in line with what I would have paid for other 6" H&L. You just have to order it, versus heading to the local store.

Brian Walter
10-13-2004, 10:03 AM
I don't have the Festool sander or vac, but I find that by adding one of those variable speed controls intended for routers to my Shop Vac that I can slow it down slightly and still get plenty of suction for the sander and greatly reduce the noise. It works quite well. You can pick up the variable speed controls for a rather reasonable price at Rocklers, WoodCraft or Harbor Freight, to name a few places. Obviously, you need to use the fine filter element (Gortex or similar material) with the shop vac or the dust will blow right through and fill your room with dust.

I have the Bosch 6" VSROS and find that it works quite well for me. I got it at a good sale price, otherwise, I think the little extra you pay for the Festool might very well be worth it. Having tried both, I don't think the Festool is much if any smoother, but the center hole in the pad makes the dust collection a little better. I haven't been able to try them both at the same time, so my observations may not be totally correct.

Brian

Jim Becker
10-13-2004, 10:12 AM
... but I find that by adding one of those variable speed controls intended for routers to my Shop Vac that I can slow it down slightly and still get plenty of suction for the sander and greatly reduce the noise. It works quite well.
One caution on this...many shop vacs depend upon the air they are moving to cool the motor. Slowing them down with a speed control may have negative impact in that regard just as it does on some routers.

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Scott,

I am going to be putting up my Festool 150/5 for sale soon (keep forgetting to take the pics and get it "ready") as I just picked up a Festool Rotex.

As far as noise and dust with a Festool sander + vacuum: consider the dust gone and noise so low you may not need hearing protection. You will actually LIKE sanding again...seriously. :)

JayStPeter
10-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Scott,

Festool or not, I highly recommend you go with a ROS over the vibrating sander you currently use. Even my PC ROS has reasonable DC when attached to a vac (as does my PC vibrating sander, but I don't think I've used it since getting the ROS).
That said, I wouldn't use my PC ROS in my living room.

BTW, the first thing on my Christmas list is a ETS150/5.

Jay

Scott Parks
10-13-2004, 12:47 PM
You guys cost me money! I keep reading about tools from you guys, and then I want to buy them.... Sounds like a Festool sander is next on my list to buy... After the Grizz 1023SL, and the Cyclone, and more cabinet clamps.....

Chris, Let me know when you plan to sell, I may be interested (but I think I'll have to wait a month or two). However, my next two paychecks have to cover the TS I'm going to buy... I pass through San Jose once in a while...

Rich Konopka
10-13-2004, 1:04 PM
My only beef is that the Festool Hose does not come with end caps. Every time I finish sanding and roll that stupid hose up, dust falls out (I think it sticks in the corrugations), and I have to plug the vac back in, final clean up (again), and get it out of the house before more dust drops out again. Pain in the hiney.

Todd, Wouldn't stretching and shaking the hose while the sander is running loosen up the dust caught in the corrogated pipe?

And maybe I've worn mine out, but I'm getting noticable vibration in my 150/3, which puts in on par with my PC 333VS in the vibration department.

How old is your 150/3?

I really appreciate sharing your comments on this.

Todd Burch
10-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Todd, Wouldn't stretching and shaking the hose while the sander is running loosen up the dust caught in the corrogated pipe?.

Rich, you would think it would. I'm primarily sanding poplar at the 120/150/180 levels. When sanding in a clients home, there usually isn't much that I can bang the hose against to free the dust up. A smoth hose interior would help, as would end caps. The logical solution, to me, would be the ability to tuck/snap/jamb the business end of the hose (at least the 26mm hose) into the vacuum end of the hose.

How old is your 150/3? I really appreciate sharing your comments on this.

I bought it earlier this year - March I think. I did call the guy that Bob Marino suggeted that I call. He offered a few things to check that ranged from internal dust build-up on the fan blades to a possible bad sanding pad to a possible bad bearing. I'll check these out later in the week.

Todd

Rich Konopka
10-14-2004, 3:23 PM
Rich, you would think it would. I'm primarily sanding poplar at the 120/150/180 levels. When sanding in a clients home, there usually isn't much that I can bang the hose against to free the dust up. A smoth hose interior would help, as would end caps. The logical solution, to me, would be the ability to tuck/snap/jamb the business end of the hose (at least the 26mm hose) into the vacuum end of the hose.

You can always do what the troops use over in Iraq to cover the end of their rifles. Good Ole Latex Ribbies. :p

I bought it earlier this year - March I think. I did call the guy that Bob Marino suggeted that I call. He offered a few things to check that ranged from internal dust build-up on the fan blades to a possible bad sanding pad to a possible bad bearing. I'll check these out later in the week.

Todd

I'm sure Mr. Bob will take care of the issue since it is still under warranty.

Thanks for the info.

Byron Trantham
10-14-2004, 4:47 PM
My only beef is that the Festool Hose does not come with end caps.

Why not make a tapered wood plug for the end of the hose? Screw a screw-eye on the end and attach a string to it and the hose. When you remove the hose from the tool push in the plug. Just a thought. :D

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 9:53 PM
Also I noticed more vibration then I was expecting, I still need to do a side by side comparison with the old 333. Even if the the vibration isn't up to me expectations, it far outweighs everything else.

Scott, are you sure the vibration is caused by the sander itself? Have you tried running the sander alone, *WITHOUT* the vac attached? I've got the Fein mini-turbo and I note the "vibration", as well. BUT, it's not the sander, per se. It's the vac pulling too hard! I believe that's one of the reasons the Festool vacs have variable suction. If you haven't already, try it w/o the vac and see what happens. :cool:

Chris Padilla
10-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Excellent point, Mr. Miliunas! I bet, like most, they keep the vacuum cranked up to max...seems to make sense, I guess, but is it necessary??

John Miliunas
10-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Excellent point, Mr. Miliunas! I bet, like most, they keep the vacuum cranked up to max...seems to make sense, I guess, but is it necessary??

No, it really is NOT necessary for all tools and operations! Particularly, the smaller sanders and when sanding areas in which the sanding pad is constantly in complete contact with the material. Like as in panels and such. Matter of fact, on my little Festool RS400, I took the rubber Fein adapter and drilled a LOT of 1/4" and 1/8" holes to alleviate some of the suction! I may do a more abridged version of that for my 125, as well! :cool:

Chris Padilla
10-15-2004, 12:17 PM
John,

I guess your Fein doesn't have a variable dial on it to control the vacuum? The Festool units do have a dial...guess I should move it once from MAX. :)

John Miliunas
10-15-2004, 12:26 PM
John,

I guess your Fein doesn't have a variable dial on it to control the vacuum? The Festool units do have a dial...guess I should move it once from MAX. :)

Uhhh, yeah...That's why above I wrote: "It's the vac pulling too hard! I believe that's one of the reasons the Festool vacs have variable suction." One of these years, I may have enough $$ to get one of the Festool vacs! Until then, I guess I'll just keep my drill handy. :D :cool: