PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly?

David Warkentin
12-30-2009, 10:56 PM
So, has anyone bought the new g0698? Any comments on it? David

David Christopher
12-30-2009, 11:14 PM
David, I dont think youll find anyone here with a grizzly lathe except me, I have the G0632. its the same lathe as the Jet 16 42. I believe the new lathe is a laguna clone

David Warkentin
12-30-2009, 11:17 PM
David, I dont think youll find anyone here with a grizzly lathe except me, I have the G0632. its the same lathe as the Jet 16 42. I believe the new lathe is a laguna clone
I guess a lot of you have those mustard colored ones but I have a green one too! Are you satisfied with your 0632? David

Greg Just
12-30-2009, 11:27 PM
David:

I couldn't find the G0698 on the Grizzly website. Am I missing something?

David Christopher
12-30-2009, 11:29 PM
I guess a lot of you have those mustard colored ones but I have a green one too! Are you satisfied with your 0632? David

I like it well enough if it broke I would get another just like it

David Warkentin
12-30-2009, 11:30 PM
David:

I couldn't find the G0698 on the Grizzly website. Am I missing something?
Received the 2010 catalog today and it is in there. 18x47 inch I believe. David

Greg Just
12-30-2009, 11:36 PM
I did a little research and apparently it will be online starting 1/1/10

Mark Levitski
12-31-2009, 9:30 AM
No clue re: the new one. However, I also have the 0632 and have been pleased with it. I have turned hundreds of bowls and lamp bases on it the last couple years with no problems. Keep in mind that it is also my first and only lathe experience--nothing to compare it to. My wife and I have other Grizzly machines in our shop and like them. She builds free-form rustic furniture. We are not, however, blind Grizzly groupees and would advise everyone to shop for the machines that fit their use. When I eventually upgrade my lathe to be able to do larger pieces, I will sleep well at night knowing that whoever I sold the 0632 to will have purchased a great lathe.

Glenn Weathington
12-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Last week or the week before, the G0698 was listed on Grizzly's website I went ahead and downloaded the manual and the parts breakdown sheet. It was on sale at a price point lower than the G0632. Both were available for around $1300. If I had the money, I would've considered a purchase... now I see the G0632 is $1500 shipped. I would expect the G0698 to be $1650-$1800, a competitive price with the Laguna version.

Dick Strauss
12-31-2009, 12:52 PM
If it were the Laguna lathe with the issues fixed and Grizzly customer service, they might have a winner their hands!

Mark Levitski
12-31-2009, 7:24 PM
Not to turn this into a thread about customer service, but.....

We purchased a bandsaw (LT24 X 24) from Laguna along with the sliding jig called the Timbermaster, and absolutely love the saw and eventually the jig too, but there were "issues" with the jig that Laguna's customer service gave a somewhat lukewarm response to at first. The problem stemmed from a quality control thing, and they seemed to me to not give it enough attention or importance (after I had spent a couple thousand dollars for it, it wouldn't slide in the miter slot due to the long miter bar being machined too big). I have not yet needed to call on the Grizzly support despite having a few machines in the shop, but I would be hard-pressed to buy another Laguna tool from that experience and would recommend that to others. I sincerely feel that the owner, Torben, believes in his company and its service, but somehow that gets lost trickling down through the staff. There are some important pieces missing there in my experience.

It looks like the 0632 was a recent addition for Grizzly. Maybe it has taken some time for them to figure out what the majority of turners want and the new model 0698 might reflect that. Certainly worth checking out.

David Warkentin
12-31-2009, 7:36 PM
The introductory price for the 0698 is actually only 1,295.00 plus 139.00 shipping. Shipping weight is 547 lbs. David

Jim Garrett
01-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Hello to everyone. I am a newbie and received my Grizzly 0698 last Friday. As a new turner I have no basis for comparison. However, my friend who is very accomplished and has three lathes including the PM 3520B came down for some mentoring and was totally impressed. His comments were "smooth, quiet, heavy and vibration free." It has basically the same power inverter as his PM, same spindle size and nearly equal weight. Basically his impression was "wow" for that price.

Let me say thanks to all the members. I have been sitting quietly in my little corner of Idaho and reading many of the threads and have learned a lot. This seems like a great group.

JG

Terry Stellman
01-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Jim, I'm glad you like it so far. I took a chance and ordered one last night. No word yet on delivery.

Terry

David Christopher
01-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Hello to everyone. I am a newbie and received my Grizzly 0698 last Friday. As a new turner I have no basis for comparison. However, my friend who is very accomplished and has three lathes including the PM 3520B came down for some mentoring and was totally impressed. His comments were "smooth, quiet, heavy and vibration free." It has basically the same power inverter as his PM, same spindle size and nearly equal weight. Basically his impression was "wow" for that price.

Let me say thanks to all the members. I have been sitting quietly in my little corner of Idaho and reading many of the threads and have learned a lot. This seems like a great group.

JG

welcome to the creek Jim, when you get a little time on your new lathe would you give us a review ? and some pictures
what part of Idaho, Ken Fitzgerald may be right around the corner and if so you need to get up with him, he's a super nice guy ( dont tell him I said so ) and has been turning awhile

Jay Jagerson
01-27-2010, 4:16 PM
I will need to keep my eye on this one, please tell us your thoughts and some pics!

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2010, 5:17 PM
welcome to the creek Jim, when you get a little time on your new lathe would you give us a review ? and some pictures
what part of Idaho, Ken Fitzgerald may be right around the corner and if so you need to get up with him, he's a super nice guy ( dont tell him I said so ) and has been turning awhile

For gosh sakes no don't tell old Fitz he is a super nice guy. Don't want him getting any ideas.:eek::rolleyes::cool:;)

Rich Aldrich
01-27-2010, 7:01 PM
This is a link to a thread I started on another forum.

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=6877

Dirk Hoogendoorn
01-27-2010, 7:21 PM
That G0698 looks an awful lot like my Craftex from Busy Bee Tools in Canada. The only difference that I can see is that the Grizzly has a 11/4" spindle where my Craftex has a 1" spindle. To some people that is a little light, Price wise Grizzly $1,439 Craftex $1,195 Canadian dollars.I have had no problems with the 1" spindle. I have turned a up to 15" bowl. I love the variable speed feature and find the 2hp motor really strong. Dirk H