PDA

View Full Version : After Christmas Gloat

Greg Bender
12-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Well it's finally here.Bought it at the Klingspor October Woodworking Show and because of my hideous work schedule,7 days a week,10 and 12 hours a day,plus the holidays commitments,I was finally able to go pick it up.It's not wired,thats for tomorrow but it will be spinning objects soon.It was along 2 monthes without a lathe.The weather here in NC should allow me to do some catchup.
Greg

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings real soon! Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Congrats on your lathe. Let's see some turnings.

Greg Bender
12-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Steve,
did you build a ballst platform for your Jet?How much sand did you put on it if so.For anybody with this lathe,did you build your box to be below the two 2 by 4 rails that span from leg to leg or did you work above that level.I'm gonna build some kind of storage cabinet for above the ballast but I haven't decided what design I'm going to build.
Thanx Steve,it took a while but it was worth the wait.
Greg

steven carter
12-31-2009, 9:33 AM
Greg,

I have had this same lathe for a couple of years. When I first got it I thought I would build a ballast box, but never got around to it. I've found with the variable speed, I just slow it down when roughing big bowl blanks, and not really had any problem. I started out with a Jet 1236, and really had that thing walking around a few times:eek:.

Steve

charlie knighton
12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
congratulations

Ken Fitzgerald
12-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Congratulations Greg!

Chris Stolicky
01-01-2010, 8:26 PM
Steve,
did you build a ballst platform for your Jet?How much sand did you put on it if so.For anybody with this lathe,did you build your box to be below the two 2 by 4 rails that span from leg to leg or did you work above that level.I'm gonna build some kind of storage cabinet for above the ballast but I haven't decided what design I'm going to build.
Thanx Steve,it took a while but it was worth the wait.
Greg

Greg,

Here is what I did:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119919

I added two 50# bags of sand and a bunch of left over granite tiles for ballast. I'm not sure if ballast was really needed or not, but I did really want the storage.

I'm not really a fb'er, so this was a fun project, but did keep me away from turning (except for the knobs).

Greg Bender
01-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Chris,
That is very similar to what I was thinking.I read that you created your weight basin by notching 2 by6 's to span leg to leg.I was thinking about screwing another layer of 2 by 4 to the two that span leg to leg and fitting as much ballast in as was reasonable.Some scrap 3/4" plywood would create the bottom of the "sandbox".
AS far as the cabinet goes ,do you find yourself bumping into the upper edge.I had toyed with the idea of sloping the front in the same line as the legs follow.I'm not making sloped front drawers on a storage cabinet.Figured I'd make the cabinet stepped with shallower drawers on top.Anyway,Thanx for the link,
Greg

Marc Himes
01-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Congratulations on your new lathe. If you are certain of the desired location for your lathe, you may consider bolting it to the floor. This takes a cement drill (hammer drill is the best) but it may be about the same amount of work as building a box and filling it with sand.

Marc Himes

Chris Stolicky
01-02-2010, 8:11 PM
Chris,
That is very similar to what I was thinking.I read that you created your weight basin by notching 2 by6 's to span leg to leg.I was thinking about screwing another layer of 2 by 4 to the two that span leg to leg and fitting as much ballast in as was reasonable.Some scrap 3/4" plywood would create the bottom of the "sandbox".
AS far as the cabinet goes ,do you find yourself bumping into the upper edge.I had toyed with the idea of sloping the front in the same line as the legs follow.I'm not making sloped front drawers on a storage cabinet.Figured I'd make the cabinet stepped with shallower drawers on top.Anyway,Thanx for the link,
Greg

You know, I thought that bumping into it would have been a problem for me. It really hasn't been an issue. I find I bump into the tools sitting on top of it while I'm turning more than anything. I did consider the angled approach, but I knew that it would have a pain for me to make, I would lose space, and it would have taken even more time to build. If you find yourself need to get inside a bowl, just slide your headstock down more towards the end. You will have plenty of room then.

Just adding 2x4's would work.

Good luck and post some pics of whatever you come up with. If you any other questions feel free to ask....