PDA

View Full Version : Any comments on a texturing/spiral tool

Les Kuesel
12-30-2009, 9:35 PM
I am looking at getting a texturing tool. Either the sorby or wagner. Anyone use them and how well they work? I looked in past posts and there was some disagreements but that was over year or so ago. So was wondering if one is better than the other?

Aaron Wingert
12-31-2009, 11:06 AM
I started with a Wagner based on some of the pictures you see in the catalogs of what they can do. Not trying to bash the product, but I can honestly say I am nothing short of disappointed in it. I have tried and tried and tried to get results even similar to the advertising pictures and have not come close. I'd liken the results to the "pressed" checkering on a $250 shotgun with a cheap stock. I thought perhaps I was using woods that were too hard to get good results, but got the same results on soft woods.

I then tried the Sorby spiraling tool and have been pretty pleased with it. It works as advertised and with a little practice you can do some neat stuff.

Michael Mills
12-31-2009, 11:35 AM
I have the Sorby also and agree it is a good tool. I have not used the Wagner so I can offer no comparison.
Mike