PDA

View Full Version : My First Edge-Lit LED Acrylic - Feedback?

Scott Balboa
12-30-2009, 5:38 PM
Thought I'd throw in the towel and share something with the Creek for once instead of asking questions! This is my first LED edge-lit sign I made last month as a display sample for our shop. I wasn't sure what to expect, so I purchased a 6.5" base and went to town. Wish I had bought a larger size though...they are almost the same price and this darn thing is so small! Oh well, it was a good time! :D

Would love to get some feedback from the experienced engravers out there!

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy303/sb50ct/IMG_0874.jpg

Jim Good
12-30-2009, 6:09 PM
Scott,

The sign looks great! I especially like the vector cut along the top edge and how it shapes the mountain. That sample should get you some attention.

Jim

Steve Eide
12-30-2009, 6:29 PM
Very artistic and well laid out. I agree with Jim on the sculpted top. Nice job

James Jaragosky
12-30-2009, 6:58 PM
Very artistic and well laid out. I agree with Jim on the sculpted top. Nice job
Very nicely done.
Where did you acquire the base if I may ask.
Jim J.

Dee Gallo
12-30-2009, 7:56 PM
Good job, Scott! You made the most of the material size and the qualities of edge-lit acrylic - nice clean job, well designed, bravo!

:) dee

Dan Hintz
12-30-2009, 8:40 PM
Looks great! If it were me, I would probably flame polish the sides/bottom and frost the top edge (like snow), maybe even take a belt sander and round the top edge over half the thickness of the acrylic to really make the top pop.

Cliff Patrick
12-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Looks great Scott! Nice job.

Steven Wallace
12-31-2009, 6:22 AM
Or is it Great Scott. I can't add to any of the comments, I think that they are all right on. First a first attempt, I personally think you did a great job. When money comes around I am going to get a torch too to flame the acrylic but until then, I will be doing the best job I can.:)

Sergio Arze
01-03-2010, 9:58 AM
Wow! that is a very nice looking piece.

Todd Suire
01-03-2010, 1:54 PM
Scott,

Great Job! The piece is very eyecatching. I'm also curious as to where you got the base.

Darryl Jacobs
01-03-2010, 3:10 PM
Excellent Job!!

You can also engrave the back side to get some interesting effects.

I would love to hear where you got the bases as well.

Cheers!

Darryl

Jim Good
01-03-2010, 4:54 PM
I'm assuming this was done by reverse engraving. Is this right!?!

Scott Balboa
01-04-2010, 2:09 PM
Yes, I did reverse-engrave it. I will definitely have to play with the flame-polishing technique... it's on my to-do list.

I aquired this base from http://decorandafter.com/store/products.php?cat=46. I had never heard of them before, and stumbled across them a couple months ago and placed this single order of the 6.5" blue base. Oddly, the specific base I ordered has been "OUT OF STOCK" since I ordered mine, so I have no idea how deep his inventory is. I paid with a credit card and it arrived as promised, so no complaints here! The base looks and feels quality (for what it is), and he has nice instructions on how to assemble it (http://decorandafter.blogspot.com/).

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Todd Suire
01-04-2010, 2:51 PM
Thanks Scott. I appreciate you passing on the information.